Your eyeglass frame preferences

shootingstar

So I'm on the research hunt for new frames and new prescription glasses.  

Usually at a store with over 150 different frames, there's only less than 5 different frames that I like/ponder over. ?

My criteria are incredibly narrow:

• No heavy /heavy fully rimmed frames.  Definitely knocks out any heavy black, dark-medium brown or any colour. I look awful. I don't have delicate face features so it just "weighs" down my face. I look grouchier.   That knocks out  70% of eyeglass frame inventory in a store.
  • Large lens surface..to balance with my face. No skinnies for me. I also need larger lens surface to look out...I might have to try progressives.  (if I can get past eye-pain /headache lst few days..  I couldn't last time.)
  • No full gold/silver wire frames.  I don't need to look like granny.
  • Something abit different, discreetly funky...  maybe medium red metal frame or deep purple metal frame with abit of gold/silver.  Not sure about deep teal blue.
  • No prints or confetti or other patterns in the frame.  Will become dated very fast.

I will be spending over$600.00 ..with prescription lens. I can't buy drugstore readers 'cause each eye is different.

• Heart 1

One of the reasons I go to the wacky eyeglass lady is because I found it impossible  to get anything I liked at the prior store I went to (a large national chain).  Everything at the prior store was really elaborate with crystals and lots of decoration on the temples.  I tend to prefer metal frames in a bronze color with just a little design element or decoration. I don't like the ones I usually wear to work to be completely plain.  Nothing with crystals.  Since I need my glasses all the time, I'll often get a second pair and that one may be in a more funky color or style.

• Awesome 1

I need wide frames, because I have a head the size of a tractor battery.  I prefer very light, top only frame and squarer lenses look best.  I think.

I will know today because I am going frame shopping for the first time in a while this afternoon

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I need wide frames, because I have a head the size of a tractor battery.  I prefer very light, top only frame and squarer lenses look best.  I think.

I will know today because I am going frame shopping for the first time in a while this afternoon

Yup.  I just bought some Ray Ban's that fit that description.  Front of the frame is blue as are the silicone and metal arms.  Very light and comfortable and I hate glasses.  I went with Armani Carbon and metal for sunglasses.  Two totally different styles but I really like them both. 

...Costco optical stocks a full wire rim frame made from some kind of titanium alloy that is flexible enough that it is almost indestructible.

It comes pretty wide in size (which is what I buy for my adorable fat head) but might come in smaller sizes.  The lens opening is that sort of stylish rounded rectangle that's popular now.

You won't be able to spend the whole 600 bucks at Costco, but wherever you go ask for the indestructable wire rims and you'l probably find something similar.  They are quite light in weight.

• Heart 1

There was this guy at the eye place I go to..and he was awesome at helping you pick out frames...found out he moved to one of their other stores :(. When "we" picked out the last frames..it was a toss up between 2...both looked good..bit he described the pair I got as a tad more on the fun side.  They are Marc Jacobs (all these designers do frames)  and 3 or 4 years and I still get compliments on them.

I almost ordered the same frame on my last visit.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

My problem in choosing frames is that my eyesight is so poor, when I try on frames, I can't see what they look like on me.  Seriously.  :(

There's an app for that.

My personal favorite is titanium frames in a small aviator form with a silicone saddle bridge.

Already am slightly discouraged.  This morning, I cycled 15 km. up into the suburbs to a shopping mall. 2 eyeglass places had boring choices and just wrong for me.  I refuse to pay a ton of money for ordinary-looking frames that look non-descript. on me.  A lot of the frame styles were black or brown.. just boring on me.  I have black hair...  with my natural colouring I should be able to take advantage of it and wear frames with a hint of funky colour.  

As I age, I prefer a pair of glasses that are slightly funky in design/colour. (I also choose earrings accordingly....not wild hoops/ super dangleys,  but silver star and moon pair,  a pr. of silver phoenix birds, pr. of silver swans, etc. )  I don't need to look nerdish boring.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Here's the "Brown Gunmetal" version of my "ELAN Warden Natural Gold wire frame glasses:

211908787_BrownGunmetalversionofmyELANWardenNaturalGoldglasses.jpg.811fe3b7a13d08d1d9e12db68b97b289.jpg

I don't know if they make me look like a granny, but this woman showed up when I searched for the glasses on Google Images along with these on-the-go items:

1520885261_Girlongoogleimagesearch.jpg.4efc93bfd61c363eae80751a81e29d54.jpg284733648_Bikeongoogleimagesearch.jpg.0bb4ff5942c6732aaad24d68c8eb8927.jpg1535521826_Carongoogleimagesearch.jpg.d46d57b42bf0327f09e45dfca013bc99.jpg

My glasses frames look very similar to yours.

• Heart 2

If your current frames aren't in too bad shape, you can get new lenses for them. They have a machine that traces the existing frames, like a pantograph, and cuts the new lenses to fit. Secret be told, they use the same machine to cut the lenses for new frames, too.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

If your current frames aren't in too bad shape, you can get new lenses for them. They have a machine that traces the existing frames, like a pantograph, and cuts the new lenses to fit. Secret be told, they use the same machine to cut the lenses for new frames, too.

Yep, if not in terrible shape, we just keep reusing our frames.

53 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Already am slightly discouraged.  This morning, I cycled 15 km. up into the suburbs to a shopping mall. 2 eyeglass places had boring choices and just wrong for me.  I refuse to pay a ton of money for ordinary-looking frames that look non-descript. on me.  A lot of the frame styles were black or brown.. just boring on me.  I have black hair...  with my natural colouring I should be able to take advantage of it and wear frames with a hint of funky colour.  

As I age, I prefer a pair of glasses that are slightly funky in design/colour. (I also choose earrings accordingly....not wild hoops/ super dangleys,  but silver star and moon pair,  a pr. of silver phoenix birds, pr. of silver swans, etc. )  I don't need to look nerdish boring.

OUTEYE-Women-Cat-Eye-Sunglasses-Tinted-C

I wear a near frameless style. These are gunmetal. Previous version of nearly the same frame was a dark red. I like a deep color without being black. I have had a couple times where people had known me for a while and it just dawned on them that I wear glasses. 

E532AFF6-8A6E-4A24-8ACB-CFEFB074FC14.jpeg

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Kirby said:

One of the reasons I go to the wacky eyeglass lady is because I found it impossible  to get anything I liked at the prior store I went to (a large national chain).  Everything at the prior store was really elaborate with crystals and lots of decoration on the temples.  I tend to prefer metal frames in a bronze color with just a little design element or decoration. I don't like the ones I usually wear to work to be completely plain.  Nothing with crystals.  Since I need my glasses all the time, I'll often get a second pair and that one may be in a more funky color or style.

My 2 sets of glasses are quite different:

Computer glasses -are 1/2 rimmed black only with small black crystals at side temples.  Versace I believe.  I like them because they look "light" on me. I need a bit of visual flash/interest around my eye area.

Reading glasses have a gold thin streak at top, rest are thin black frame.  It's a completely different look.  I like both sets for different reasons.

3rd optical store looked at my prescription:  her comment was "no wonder, you will have more problems than others adjusting to progressives".  ? 

Here wearing just protective cycling glasses. Now you know, why I like red.  Having black hair helps bring out snazziness for certain frame colours.

Winter cycle portrait jean 2016

Present set for reading below.  I have a totally different style for computer glasses. 

presentset.JPG.c72646cd9d947c4437659f100746ad96.JPG

Now you know my definition of funky/different.....and expensive(!). The frames below ranged from $400 (the all red metal one) to $575 per pr.  !  I might have to scale down expectations. :(glasses2.JPG.c85169c3f186ac331bb9c9c6221c041b.JPGred.JPG.a472ccb6dc1d1635363065cff6a81551.JPGredblack.JPG.fa03a25d3667b28c3cf2afa60176e97d.JPG

• Heart 1

I usually don't wear glasses when my picture is taken, so I blew up to 150% the original size one of the photos someone on the BWI Airport Trail took of me walking Jake. The glasses are "Transitions" and turn dark in the Sun.  I'm pleased with the detail my new Samsung Galaxy S7's camera, the reason I paid $422 for a phone, gets - the original picture being 3024 x 4032 pixels and you can even see I didn't shave that day:

570692174_MickCloseUpfrom20180414.JPG.e8deb93876623ca3c3542a111722c813.JPG1916281835_20180414_170541667x500p.jpg.99ed16602e7288219f811f7f9a11109e.jpg

13 hours ago, groupw said:

I wear a near frameless style. These are gunmetal. Previous version of nearly the same frame was a dark red. I like a deep color without being black. I have had a couple times where people had known me for a while and it just dawned on them that I wear glasses. 

E532AFF6-8A6E-4A24-8ACB-CFEFB074FC14.jpeg

I thought that was @Dottie!

• Awesome 1

I can’t even think about style. I need large lenses for my bifocal. My kids told me my large lenses were out of style so I tried a pair of small lense glasses. I could’t Use them, complete waste of $350. I also have a hard time finding large enough frames to fit my head. 

0ECED203-79F2-4C42-A092-499C05AD3B84.thumb.jpeg.d54c16f3c684f3438d855c4b3889dde3.jpeg

Should pick up my new pair next week. These are wired frames with a wider topbar which differs from my current. Don't really change much, either full wired or lower frameless. Didn't anticipate Rx change an was going to use my benefit for sunglasses this year. While minor change, optician suggested regular glasses and keep using my Rudy's for all sunglass wear.  While I wasn't looking for it, as it turns out these frames come with a custom fit sunglass frame. While I can't use polarizing with photography, will be good for driving, etc.

One thing I do when selecting a frame as I try on several. is take a selfie and review with wife before making a decision. A selfie for later review is essential if you  have dilated eyes! Initial ones I liked, wife pointed out that at same level as eyebrows making me look like Groucho Marcs. Another requirement is must have nosepad rather than molded frame on nose. While may have been cheap frames, have found the plastic on nose tends to react with body oils and corrode/peel. Also too narrow a frame doesn't support the progressive transition as it is too abrupt.

I cannot wear skinnies.  I want to be able to look out through a lot of glass surface in range of vision. Also have an Asian nose bridge...meaning flatter, there are certain glasses that just don't work, no matter how much nose bridge pads are adjusted.  Unlike some women, I'm not freaked out if nose bridge pads are quite visible.

At least I don't worry how my eye makeup will look like under glasses...I don't wear any eye makeup..for past 30 yrs.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Whatever you get, be assured that there will be enough subtle changes in frames at your store so that if your prescription changes and you want new lenses for your existing frames it will be "impossible, those aren't available anymore".

Lies!

A lab like eyemart keeps blank lenses in inventory then cuts each lens to fit your selected frame. It is possible that that they work off a file with all the coordinates listed but I don't think so. I've purchased glasses where there was some question whether or not they could do it in the store and the lab tech confirmed it could be done and then it was. Even if they don't have the equipment locally, a fully equipped lab is more than likely to have a tracer on hand.

Of course when I get my glasses done, this is the lady that does mine.

I used Warby Parker for my last pairs(regular and sunglasses). They start at $95 for the frame and lenses and go up depending on your prescription. I paid $350-400 each. Every other shop I checked was going to be over $800. 

Since day one, over 4 million pairs of glasses have been distributed through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Alleviating the problem of impaired vision is at the heart of what we do, and with your help, our impact continues to expand.

23 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...Costco optical stocks a full wire rim frame made from some kind of titanium alloy that is flexible enough that it is almost indestructible.

It comes pretty wide in size (which is what I buy for my adorable fat head) but might come in smaller sizes.  The lens opening is that sort of stylish rounded rectangle that's popular now.

You won't be able to spend the whole 600 bucks at Costco, but wherever you go ask for the indestructable wire rims and you'l probably find something similar.  They are quite light in weight.

I bought frames from Costco just like those but found that as I have a prism in each lens they weren't rigid enough to maintain focus.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I cannot wear skinnies.  I want to be able to look out through a lot of glass surface in range of vision. Also have an Asian nose bridge...meaning flatter, there are certain glasses that just don't work, no matter how much nose bridge pads are adjusted.  Unlike some women, I'm not freaked out if nose bridge pads are quite visible.

At least I don't worry how my eye makeup will look like under glasses...I don't wear any eye makeup..for past 30 yrs.

You appear to have a small, heart-shaped face and the glasses featured look just too substantial for this. I would have thought that a more fragile-looking frame would suit you better.......and do remember....I know about these things.

I have these Oakley frames. Had them since October of last year and love 'em. Very light and comfortable. I've been a fan of Oakley sunglasses since the '90s and like the brand a lot. So when it came time for Rx glasses, I stayed w/ them.

https://www.oakley.com/en/men/eyeglasses/performance-lifestyle/rhinochaser/product/W0OX3111/?skuCode=OX3111-0252&categoryCode=102020000m&size=52

6891.jpg

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have these Oakley frames. Had them since October of last year and love 'em. Very light and comfortable. I've been a fan of Oakley sunglasses since the '90s and like the brand a lot. So when it came time for Rx glasses, I stayed w/ them.

https://www.oakley.com/en/men/eyeglasses/performance-lifestyle/rhinochaser/product/W0OX3111/?skuCode=OX3111-0252&categoryCode=102020000m&size=52

6891.jpg

For me the problem with frames such as these is that the lens are held in place by a very thin thread of nylon encircling the bottom groove. This has always come adrift with me at some time and seems a bit unsatisfactory given how easily scratched is the soft plastic used for the lens. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

You appear to have a small, heart-shaped face and the glasses featured look just too substantial for this. I would have thought that a more fragile-looking frame would suit you better.......and do remember....I know about these things.

1/2 photos are deceiving.  My face is wider.

What did you do long ago to know about face shapes and glasses?

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

1/2 photos are deceiving.  My face is wider.

What did you do long ago to know about face shapes and glasses?

I didn't like to say but I drew nude women at Goldsmiths College of Art.

I know about these things. ?

I don't have lovely feminine delicate facial features.  My petite body frame probably makes up for it.   So I think I can get away with frames that have slight funkiness.  Photo taken in sunlit shaft at Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park.

Therefore I can't settle for a boring looking set of frames.  I will look...even more boring.

jc32018.JPG.64085f3ef8dd46f46ad4ae332d983cad.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, dennis said:

I used Warby Parker for my last pairs(regular and sunglasses). They start at $95 for the frame and lenses and go up depending on your prescription. I paid $350-400 each. Every other shop I checked was going to be over $800. 

I paid the same with my insurance but bought at the optician's store rather than online. Plus I upgraded the glass to top of the line Hoya. 

I currently have VSP insurance. Was estatic when I learned that they now offered it as individual personal plan and subscribed to the 2 person option. When worked for Charles Schwab, had VSP as an employer plan, but after laid off only had the Luxottica monopoly crap through AARP and other organizations/employers. It was so bad that their stores (Target, Sears, JCPenneys, and other chains including national eyeglass stores) had better sale prices than the 'insurance' discount.

The ones I am picking up next week came to $425 as I elected a slightly more expensive frame, but as equipped, non-insurance cost was just over $1000.

The other good news, the ophthalmologist whom I have gone on bike rides with is a VSP provider so could come back to her as she didn't accept Luxottica.

Just FYI https://www.vspdirect.com/

12 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I paid the same with my insurance but bought at the optician's store rather than online. Plus I upgraded the glass to top of the line Hoya. 

I currently have VSP insurance. Was estatic when I learned that they now offered it as individual personal plan and subscribed to the 2 person option. When worked for Charles Schwab, had VSP as an employer plan, but after laid off only had the Luxottica monopoly crap through AARP and other organizations/employers. It was so bad that their stores (Target, Sears, JCPenneys, and other chains including national eyeglass stores) had better sale prices than the 'insurance' discount.

The ones I am picking up next week came to $425 as I elected a slightly more expensive frame, but as equipped, non-insurance cost was just over $1000.

The other good news, the ophthalmologist whom I have gone on bike rides with is a VSP provider so could come back to her as she didn't accept Luxottica.

Just FYI https://www.vspdirect.com/

One of the reasons why I want new frames...is to take advantage of my work health benefit.  It will be partially covered.  So in the future I hope to have 2 sets of frames to re-use when I am no longer working and save some money later.  So I have to really like my upcoming new frames --whatever I select and they must be strong enough for re-use.

My black pair with gold that you see above, is going to be 1 of the future candidates for re-use. It is a strong frame with design I should be able to wear for a "classic" look.

11 hours ago, Dottie said:

It took me 7 seconds and 1 click to get the most satisfying and unflattering photo bomb of myself. Check out that snauze... I mean frames.

IMG_20180610_134250.jpg

Damn!

I intended to give these ones a go until I saw that. ?

Glasses in the US do seem very expensive. My last two pairs which I bought at the supermarket "Asda", which is owned by Wallmart I believe, cost me around £100. This for a designer frame (Stepper), lightweight lens, and a complicated prescription with bifocals. I think that this is a real bargain and I'm set to order a computer pair next time in town.

21 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

6891.jpg

I had those.  I put them down on the chair next to me on a flight to Paris.  I was riding in business class.  They were gone when I got back from the head.    Some thieving barstid has them now. 

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I don't have lovely feminine delicate facial features.  My petite body frame probably makes up for it.   So I think I can get away with frames that have slight funkiness.  Photo taken in sunlit shaft at Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park.

Therefore I can't settle for a boring looking set of frames.  I will look...even more boring.

jc32018.JPG.64085f3ef8dd46f46ad4ae332d983cad.JPG

I love this thread because people are posting pictures of themselves. I like to see who my friends are. I always imagine what my online friends look like and then when I see a photo I see how wrong I was. You look great shootingstar.

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

6891.jpg

I've got almost that exact pair, in fact on my second set of those frames I like them so much.  I like the Oakley straight ear piece and the way they fit.  My side pieces are slightly thinner than those in the picture is about the only difference.

• Heart 1