Bad?: Pop Up Chicken Timers

MickinMD

Anyone experienced with pop-up chicken timers?

Maybe up to a couple years ago, I used to buy 5 lb Purdue Whole Chickens that had a pop-up (temperature sensitive) timer pressed into a breast that would pop up when the correct temperature was reached. I don't see them anymore and wondered if somebody decided they were a bad idea.

If it's a long-in-the-oven item, I use a remote reader to a thermometer permanently planted in the item being cooked and if it's a relatively short time - like the approx. 25 minutes for chicken thighs to get to 170F in a 350F oven, I just check the temp with an instant-read thermometer.

But I wondered if there were reusable pop-up timers or thermometers that are reliable where, instead of taking the time to use the instant read thermometer and then quickly washing and putting it away each time I use it.  A Google search turned up some articles saying don't trust the pop-up timers, which sort of makes sense since they don't penetrate far into the meat.  On the other hand, I don't remember having any problems with the chickens I baked with them in the past.

In any case, the ones I found on Amazon that are reusable are $7 for 2 and "reusable over 200 times" and " When the internal temperature reaches 165F-185F/75C-85C, the timer starts to pop out." (https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Usable-Turkey-Chicken-Poultry/dp/B01M18NNMV/).

1 minute ago, Further said:

That's not very accurate 

If were talking 1/2 hour in the oven or less, 165-185F is probably an ok range, but I still dont trust it.  Today I baked four chicken thighs and after 30 minutes the smallest one was 180F and the biggest one was 162F, according to my instant-read thermometer and I let it go on heating another 5 minutes while I finished up and plated the veggies to go with the chicken. Those were the two pieces I had and they were fine, not dry and no meat sticking to the bones.  If I had used that timer and it didn't pop until 185F on the largest one, the smallest one would probably be over 200F - my guess is that would have been a little too much.

AFAIK the "oven stuffer roasters" and the like still some with the little white pop up timer.  But I've had enough of them fail, too early or too late, that i pay no attention.... I like the instant digital thermometer. I guess i did have one with the remote lead and i liked that too - actually i don't remember what happened to that. 

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

pop-up chicken timers?

They’re really great at letting you know your poultry is overdone -  theyre complete crap. They are just a plunger and a spring held in place by wax, with the melting point conjured up by liability lawyers. They make no allowance for “carryover cooking” - the fact that the temperature of the food continues to rise as it rests.

I have one of these. I’ve been told these  are just as good and substantially less money, but since I use the hell out of my Thermapen - cooking, baking, maple syrup, brewing - I don’t begrudge the extra couple of bucks.

The nice part about the instant read is that the display changes as you slide the probe through the food - this lets you find the coolest spot and be sure of your measurement.

I have one of these for smoking and BBQing, but it can also be used in an oven. (There’s also some sort of Bluetooth app for it, which I guess lets you know your food went up in flames, when you’re somewhere else and can’t do anything about it anyway...) There’s also the Maverick, which I used to have - it works really well, but the UI is a pain in the ass. I had to keep the instruction cheat sheet on the side of the fridge and refer to it every time I used it.

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

AFAIK the "oven stuffer roasters" and the like still some with the little white pop up timer.  But I've had enough of them fail, too early or too late, that i pay no attention.... I like the instant digital thermometer. I guess i did have one with the remote lead and i liked that too - actually i don't remember what happened to that. 

That settles it. I'm going to stick with my instant-read thermometer for quick-bake stuff and my thermometer-with-remote that I can keep track of in my TV room for long-bake stuff.

• Heart 1