What were my parents thinking?

TrentonMakes

When I was around 15 I really started getting into cycling.... as I just told my wife it was around that time I went from a "kid riding a bike" to a "cyclist".

We lived on a narrow two-lane County road with no posted speed limit (so 55 mph assumed), and no shoulders.  I went off for rides, much of the time by myself, 10, 15, 20 miles maybe?  There were a few routes I used to squeeze in between when I got home and dinner time (5pm when my dad got home).  I rode in sneakers and cutoff shorts, but I had crocheted gloves and a red water bottle (my first Performance purchases) and I actually did wear an early Avenir helmet.  I must have been a sight...

Our daughter is now 15.  We allow her and our son to tour the neighborhood but it's really, really hard to let them go farther than that.  (However, I will take them for a ride tonight)  It is hard to imagine being the parents of a 15-year old and letting them go off alone like that.  Was it just a different time then?  I did not grow up in the idyllic 1950s (if they really were idyllic).

Actually, when I was a teenager I'd go off for long solo rides with no money, no ID, no pump or repair kit, and certainly no phone.  What was I thinking? (I had to walk home about three miles once, a flat rear tire on a bike I'd just gotten the day before)

• Heart 2

I did centuries with $5 for lunch, a water bottle and basic tools to fix a flat as a teenager.  No cell phones and no support really.  One time I was about 85 miles into a century and was cramping so bad I couldn't pedal.  I called my mom to pick me up from a gas station and no freaking answer and no answering machine.  I drank a bunch of water from a garden hose and just gutted out the last few miles. 

Yeah different times I guess.

• Awesome 1

Age 15 was when I got that red Panasonic bike I still remember so fondly.  After a couple Open Road ten-speeds from Montgomery Ward, this bike rode like a dream.  It was definitely steel, but it was so much lighter than my other bikes, at the time I thought it was aluminum. 

A 27-inch (70 cm) frame right off the sales floor.  The good old days indeed!

42 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I knew someone would say this.  And I don't disagree.  That doesn't make it easy though.

Man it's hard...  I think my wife and I struck a good balance of let them bleed vs protecting against harm but I wouldn't let my kids do a lot of what my parents let me do.   I don't know if that's helicopter parenting or not but different times dictate different parenting.

• Heart 1

I'm not sure that todays kids are as capable.  I'm also not sure if that's overprotective parents or not.  There are a lot of competing influences at work.  Not the least is the increase in population in the country since I was a kid.  That might have tripled. It is more dangerous out there now.