Canada and Mexico?

Wilbur

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

To Co-host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.   Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal the host cities.  Where?  We have no natural grass fields outside Vancouver.  :scratchhead:

Edmonton has a new stadium. 

Meanwhile here where I am, a bunch of yahoos wants to get us further sucked into 2026 Winters Olympics money-losing vortex...walking by a rm. for bid committee.

10 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

It's a few years away, is there time grow enough grass pitches or is Canada's climate too cold for that?

Our only pro pitch in Toronto is too small capacity, the other site is an indoor stadium used for multiple sports like baseball.  Artificial turf.  With 10 games in 3 cities, an infrastructure amendment doesn't make sense. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Our only pro pitch in Toronto is too small capacity, the other site is an indoor stadium used for multiple sports like baseball.  Artificial turf.  With 10 games in 3 cities, an infrastructure amendment doesn't make sense. 

Do you know they can bring in a grass pitch just for a day these days?

The part people are missing, all of the games are planned to take place in California.

With the California ballot initiative it is clear, Mexico gets the southern end of the state, Canada gets the northern end and we are stuck with what ever is left over.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

The part people are missing, all of the games are planned to take place in California.

With the California ballot initiative it is clear, Mexico gets the southern end of the state, Canada gets the northern end and we are stuck with what ever is left over.

lol

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Maybe it's fake news, but I heard there is a third host country that gets 17 of the venues, with Mexico and Canada getting 3 each.

The US being the third partner of course but we are going with 2+1 these days. :)  FIFA was saying yesterday that Canada would get 10 games between three cities.  We will see. 

• Heart 1

Does this mean that the US is going to have to be interested in soccer again for a time?  I prefer the current world cup when the US didn't qualify so we can just ignore it.

Just now, Kirby said:

Does this mean that the US is going to have to be interested in soccer again for a time?  I prefer the current world cup when the US didn't qualify so we can just ignore it.

This.  God gave us hands for a reason.....

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Kirby said:

This is what I'd really like to happen to England, but they allus qualify (except one time in the 70s) and then usually fail soon after getting though the Group. If they fail to get through the Group that's a bonus for me.

On 6/13/2018 at 12:30 PM, Kirby said:

The best way to enjoy the World Cup is to be in a country that cares about the World Cup during the event.

In 1994 when the US hosted the WC, I lived in the DC area and we got to host a few early games. Since the US team did "okay", even the next rounds were fun.

In 1998, we were in Germany for the WC, and that was our first exposure to the ridiculousness of the WC's popularity.  Evenings, especially, were exciting as folks gathered to watch games.

In 2002, we were in France for the WC, and they were even more ridiculous than the Germans.  I remember some African nation (Senegal?) winning their early matches and seeing cars honking and flying flags as they drove en masse in the area around the Eiffel Tower and the Trocadero.  It was festive all over.

In 2006, we were in France and Italy for the WC.  I remember the quarterfinals and semis being NUTSO since we were in France.  We drove back to Italy the day after the final (with Italian plates on our car), and we got quite a few honks on the journey! 

We were local for 2010 and 2014, so I barely remember those WCs.  My buddy - from Ghana - went to the Brazil games and saw the US-Ghana match.  He loved it.  I watched, but can't remember if it was good or not.  Essentially, I remember the fun surrounding the matches, rather than the actual games.

Tom

On 6/13/2018 at 9:30 AM, Kirby said:

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The best way to enjoy the World Cup is to be in a country that cares about the World Cup during the event.

...let's set up a trip to Mexico for this with you, @AirwickWithCheese , me, and your wild sister who orders something besides the turkey sandwich. :)

• Heart 2