For you music lovers in the Cafe

sheep_herder

Great performance. I hope Courtney's got the self discipline to progress forward.

Before I studied piano at the Peabody, I studied at a small studio. My teacher, Mike, also taught voice and there was a boy of 12 he also taught who had been hired for local TV and radio commercials and when we had a recital, he did "Old Time Rock and Roll" much like Bob Seger sang it.  He was spectacular and would have rocked America's Got Talent.  Mike said he could go far, but he was very lazy and he didn't expect the kid to do so.  He didn't.

I don't know this girl's background, but many of them are not "overnight" wonders.  Kat McPhee (Paige on Scorpion, 1st runner up 2006 Amer. Idol) attended Boston Conservatory. Linda Rondstadt was trained to sing opera, etc. while growing up by her bandleader grandfather.  Welsh singer Charlotte Church, the original TV-discovered child singing star, also was into opera: she recorded the album "Voice of an Angel" at age 12, went on to make lots of money from singing Classical and Broadway stuff, and sang for Pres. G W Bush at one of the White House events, who she said asked her, "What state is Wales in?"

Here in her late teens, this is the best example I know of a showtune sung with high classically-trained skills:

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed both the little drummer and the dance videos. 

I'm not sure why but the expression on the little girl's face playing the drums brought me close to tears......she was loving it so much............must be my age I think. Not having grandchildren seems more and more of a loss to me.

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Not having grandchildren seems more and more of a loss to me.

I spent all day with my grandchildren yesterday. We took the two year old to lunch  because she still takes naps. When we brought her back home we watched them all play/ride bikes before taking the three older girls back to our house to swim. When you are young it’s hard to look ahead and plan everything out you just have to make the best of the decisions you made.

26 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I spent all day with my grandchildren yesterday. We took the two year old to lunch  because she still takes naps. When we brought her back home we watched them all play/ride bikes before taking the three older girls back to our house to swim. When you are young it’s hard to look ahead and plan everything out you just have to make the best of the decisions you made.

Good advice and I might add and fate and decisions of others.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed both the little drummer and the dance videos. 

I'm not sure why but the expression on the little girl's face playing the drums brought me close to tears......she was loving it so much............must be my age I think. Not having grandchildren seems more and more of a loss to me.

It was pure joy.  I don't have any children either and it did flood me with emotions too.