Thoughts on N-1

ChrisL

Dennis post got me to thinking that I may sell my HT as I really don't have room in my garage for my new bike and I don't plan to ride the HT much if at all as both are XC bikes.  My son isn't all that interested either.

i know about Craigslist, any other thoughts on where to post it?  Anyone ever sell used bikes and has any suggestions? 

It really depends on your area. I've used CL a lot to sell bikes. Facebook is popular is some areas and there is always ebay, but the bike has to have some value because you'll have to ship it. Bikeflights is reasonable for shipping.

I buy and sell bikes regularly. last year I sold two and bought two. Space is tight so I have to sell in order to buy. Four bikes in your bedroom is about the max I can handle.

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, dennis said:

Can you hang any of them?

Yeah 4 are hanging but I don't have anymore space to hang more as we will bang our heads walking to the cars.  I have a bunch of other typical "garage stuff" along one wall so have them stacked 2 deep on the side wall and back wall where I park my car.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah 4 are hanging but I don't have anymore space to hang more as we will bang our heads walking to the cars.  I have a bunch of other typical "garage stuff" along one wall so have them stacked 2 deep on the side wall and back wall where I park my car.

Personally, I like to sell bikes while they are still somewhat new otherwise the value drops and then it makes no point to sell them. And how often will you ride the old bike now that you have the shiny new squishy bike with carbon wheels?

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, dennis said:

Personally, I like to sell bikes while they are still somewhat new otherwise the value drops and then it makes no point to sell them. And how often will you ride the old bike now that you have the shiny new squishy bike with carbon wheels?

Yeah exactly... My son expressed in interest in riding but he's really not that into it and don't think he's serious.  That's the one bike I think I can gain some interest with.  

As for the fleet, my wife rides so one is her bike, I have my cross bike and am not selling that one.  I have a vintage steel roadie with Shimqno DA 8 spd I may try to sell as well and a 15 YO mid range  mtn bike I may just give away.  I also have my 1st real bike, 1982 Gazelle Champion Mondial Campy Super Record I raced on in the early 80s. I'll never sell it even though it's in rough shape.

17 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

ROTFLMAO. I know where I'd be sleeping if there were any bikes in the bedroom. 

I used to keep my bikes in the living room, now I've moved them to the den.  I told that to a guy I met on the trail a while back and he just looked at me and very dryly said, "You must be single." 

But I've also sold a bike on craigslist without an issue.

2 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

What are the particulars, and would you ship?

Is question to me?  It's a 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1. I put Easton Monkey Light carbon bars, Niner RDO carbon post and laced up some XT hubs with Stans Crest rims with DT double butted spokes.  I can include the old wheels too.  It's in good condition, a few nicks and scratches but mechanically sound.

i may repurpose the post but not sure.  Not sure what to ask for it either.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Is question to me?  It's a 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1. I put Easton Monkey Light carbon bars, Niner RDO carbon post and laced up some XT hubs with Stans Crest rims with DT double butted spokes.  I can include the old wheels too.  It's in good condition, a few nicks and scratches but mechanically sound.

i may repurpose the post but not sure.  Not sure what to ask for it either.

Of course.  It's your thread. :D

Would save you the trouble of posting it elsewhere if you found a buyer here, no?

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Assuming this is the tahoe 29 1.1, bicycle blue book puts the value at around $500.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3050991&make=681&model=74092

It doesn't look like you listed the size.

Yeah that's the one.  It's an 18", I'm 5'10" 32" inseam.

I think the blue book is a good start but how do you factor the wheels, post & bars? 

Ill post some pictures either later tonight or over the weekend and if you are interested we can move this to a private chat.  

A few years ago I sold a Trek 5200 road bike and a Bianchi hybrid (that really didn't fit me). I sold the Bianchi on Craig's List and the Trek on a local cycling web site.

With the proceeds I bought a touring bike that took the place of both the Trek (spare road bike) and Bianchi (Katy Trail bike) plus had money left over.

• Heart 1