I love my Element, but

Further

Only experience with a Chrysler Pacifica was Budget rental for a few days when both grandchildren and their parents were here ate the same time. It was OK, held the crowd and smooth  on the road. But I will take my Mini Cooper Countryman SUV any day. Wouldn't exactly call it sedate with solid performance, harder sport seats, aand while slightly dialed back due to it's larger size, the go cart handling the regular Mini is noted for.

Try renting the Chrysler/Dodge and Toyota and see what you think.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Further said:

When going fast, say 70+ in heavy traffic with big trucks & cross winds, it is a handful.

I'm getting old am ready for something a little more sedate.

Chrysler / Dodge or Toyota mini van are on the short list

Any personal experience with either ? 

Had a Chrysler and Ford minivan.  Both were garbage.  Bought a Toyota Sienna and it was a great vehicle.  That was 12 years ago though so YMMV. 

• Heart 1

We had four Chrysler minivans and loved them all. They met or exceeded our expectations every time. Even towed our snowmobile trailers with them. But like with anything, I'd recommend getting the better trim level with better amenities/more comfortable seats etc. 

When it comes time to replace the Mrs's currant car, we'll need to decide on either getting a new Pacifica or follow the herd and just get an SUV instead.

I read your other thread about your wife's injury and ambulation issues. Was going to mention my wife had (has) similar issues due to a major concussion 4 years ago when lost balance mounting a bike while wearing a knee brace and her head sounded like a watermelon when it hit the concrete driveway. Lucky it wasn't fatal as that same week saw a similar accident across town that was fatal.  Couldn't sit up for 3 days in the hospital without passing out, much less walk. While ambulating better now - still hold my arm, or grabs a grocery cart in the parking lot, etc, didn't want to bring it up in the other thread and distract from you.

Bringing it up here, as was a major factor when VW bought back my diesel and I was carshopping. While she drives a Fiat 500 and loves it, it has one major advantage. The front seat was is 21" off the ground and she could sit over, while my Passat was 17" requiring both she and I to use the door as a brace and pull ourselves up to exit. That became a major buying issue and I took a tape measure to the dealership and one of the measurements was pavement to lowest point of seat cushion (typically where seat bottom and back join) to be at least 21". It ruled out virtually every sedan (Camry, Accord, Civic, Fusion, Malibu etc). Due to her knees, one of which will be replaced later this year, the upper limit was  25" which ruled out trucks as she can't climb up. Just bringing it up here as it something you may want to consider when shopping. 

• Heart 1

We have had three Chrysler mini vans. Two dog crates fit side by side in the back and you can put two more in the side doors. With the front wheel off the tandem fits. The seat heaters are warm. The Airedales approve.  Mr Aire is an automotive engineer so I am sure he did a buttload of research.   I test drive the Toyota and the Chrysler. Did not seem to be a ride difference. I picked tan but they call it something foo foo line beach sand. 

• Heart 1

I had an honors chemistry student named Karen who loved the element Potassium.

At least she said she did on an exam essay in which she was supposed to explain why potassium would react with sodium chloride but sodium wouldn't react with potassium chloride.

She began with, "I love potassium. Potassium's symbol is is K and K stands for Karen and Karen is my name. That's why I love potassium."

Gifted kids can be very inventive when they don't have a clue what's going on!

First of all, 70 ain't fast. Around these parts (and Jfaht's), 70 puts you in the right lane with your flashers on. 

The ManVan is a Dodge. Got it from CarMax with 60k on it. It was "fleet" vehicle. 

140k on it now, no issues. Well, it didn't react too well to hitting a pit bull head on. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

I read your other thread about your wife's injury and ambulation issues. Was going to mention my wife had (has) similar issues due to a major concussion 4 years ago when lost balance mounting a bike while wearing a knee brace and her head sounded like a watermelon when it hit the concrete driveway. Lucky it wasn't fatal as that same week saw a similar accident across town that was fatal.  Couldn't sit up for 3 days in the hospital without passing out, much less walk. While ambulating better now - still hold my arm, or grabs a grocery cart in the parking lot, etc, didn't want to bring it up in the other thread and distract from you.

Bringing it up here, as was a major factor when VW bought back my diesel and I was carshopping. While she drives a Fiat 500 and loves it, it has one major advantage. The front seat was is 21" off the ground and she could sit over, while my Passat was 17" requiring both she and I to use the door as a brace and pull ourselves up to exit. That became a major buying issue and I took a tape measure to the dealership and one of the measurements was pavement to lowest point of seat cushion (typically where seat bottom and back join) to be at least 21". It ruled out virtually every sedan (Camry, Accord, Civic, Fusion, Malibu etc). Due to her knees, one of which will be replaced later this year, the upper limit was  25" which ruled out trucks as she can't climb up. Just bringing it up here as it something you may want to consider when shopping. 

Ease of entry was one the reasons we bought the Element

We only had one Dodge minivan and it was junk. That was years ago but it’s the reason we never bought another one. My wife loves her Honda Oddesey (the one I traded my Element for.) It gets 25mpg, I get 14 with the Pilot. I always like the full size man vans but nobody else seems to like them. The minis get much better gas mileage.

Sis and BIL were loaned a Chrysler Town and Country for a year while they were in the States on furlough.

Maintenance problems a new car shouldn't have had, ever in its first year.  Despite being a high-end model, a seat I couldn't get to adapt to my 6'4" frame when my Honda Civic fits me perfectly. I wouldn't buy one.

Have you considered looking at slightly larger like a Honda CR-V?  Handles like a car.  I had the 2016 as a loaner (current gen) and was more impressed than I thought I'd be, just because I'm not a big SUV person.