Ever take a cat for a walk ?

Further

My mom trained her cat to walk on a leash when they moved into town. Dad was staying at a skilled care facility at the time. They would let in pets on a leash. Created quite a stir when they would see the cat walking down the hall with her!

• Heart 1

A long time ago I had a cat trained to walk on a leash.  This was back in the 70's and it was still ok for the cat to ride in a shopping cart in stores like Sears. He would actually behave on the leash just like a well trained dog.  When not on the leash he was an indoor cat so he seemed to understand that these were the rules for going outside.  I've never been able to convince another cat to behave like that.

I have one cat now who is not allowed out except in a harness on a leash but I don't walk him, he walks me.  We wander around the yard at his pleasure while he checks things out.  The leash only serves to tell him that we aren't going any further in that direction.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

We wander around the yard at his pleasure while he checks things out.  The leash only serves to tell him that we aren't going any further in that direction.

That seems to be about the way it works! We actually got to WALK the other night. Of course we had to stop and sniff a few things. And then we were so happy we had to stop, drop, and roll on the sidewalk a few times. And then of course the grass truly IS greener, so we had to munch some grass in other peoples' lawns. It was really a nice time until some azzhat had to light off a firework. Freaked out both cats. We headed home. It was time anyway, but we really WERE having a good time up until that. 

• Heart 1

Cat's can be trained to do a lot of things.  At a party at their home, Professor Joel Liebman - a young theoretical chemist at the time and one of the smartest people I've ever known well - and his wife asked if anyone had an old child adapter for over the toilet seat that they were planning to throw away.

When asked if this was their way of announcing a pregnancy, they said no, they just wanted to teach their cat to use the toilet and then flush.

I never asked how the experiment ended, but the fact that two brilliant people would attempt it shows how smart cats are.

• Heart 1

I spent more time chasing and trying to catch our cat, poking to get it out from hiding under the bed. Think instinctively knew when taking to the vet or groomer.

Do remember an eccentric gentleman walking in the crowd at Cambridge UK street market. Not walking the cat, but part of his attire, Wearing a top hat, he had the cat on top and a mouse on the rim. Took a picture but is on a slide and too lazy to find it and scan it.