Mt Washington run 2018

Square Wheels

18 minutes ago, smudge said:

Keep in mind you did the steepest part three times! That's hardcore!

And if last year's winning time was 10 minutes faster, so figure 10-20 minutes off your time to compare to last year...

I'd say you did a damned fine job, sir!

This.  To finish with the same time under much tougher conditions is a win.

• Heart 2

Top shelf job, SW.  I salute you, you are one tough SOB.  There is no way I could do what you just did.  Do not belittle this accomplishment, it is something to be proud of.

Plus the fact that your girlfriend and your wife finished so close together and you never got caught.  Way to make the run interesting.  A great report.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

That was a great time for Mt Washington.  I did the top 6000 ft of MT Evans yesterday but only hiking.  The 14000 ft elevation was getting tough.  Not a good walk for hamstring issues, I had to hitch a ride down to the parking lot. :(   I was 3 hours 15 going up. 

...I was just gonna start the memorial thread, so it's a good thing you posted this report. :)

I have had a girlfriend and a wife before on a number of occasions. I don't get why people get so freaked out about it. It took about five or six years from the day we split up until we filed for and got a divorce in my first marriage, and the second one we stayed formally married for another four or five years after we set up separate digs so I could carry her child (with another guy) on insurance.  Life is complicated, especially if you were a hippie.

Christ, people, it's the 21st Century.  There are people running around who claim to be gender fluid for gosh sakes.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I still don't get why finishing with the same time, but being a year older, is a bad thing. :huh:

I can feel in my bones that you are going to have some issues with the aging process, @Square Wheels

Because if you had been paying attention last year, he was injured and training was interrupted. Those of us who put our money with our bookie that Wheels would best last year's time lost.    :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Because if you had been paying attention last year, he was injured and training was interrupted. Those of us who put our money with our bookie that Wheels would best last year's time lost.    :(

...and if you were at all familiar with the aging process, you'd know that injuries and slower recovery times from training will pop up intermittently throughout your 40's, 50's and 60's.

News flash : setting your performance goals as in some way continuously improving as you age will often result in disappointing outcomes. Do not ask me how I figured this out.

57 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...and if you were at all familiar with the aging process, you'd know that injuries and slower recovery times from training will pop up intermittently throughout your 40's, 50's and 60's.

News flash : setting your performance goals as in some way continuously improving as you age will often result in disappointing outcomes. Do not ask me how I figured this out.

I believe in Wheels, whereas you Sir obviously do not. I have already trippled next year's bet on not only Wheels besting his time but his official time being under 2 hours. Under I said!   :nodhead:

• Heart 1

I'm still upset about yesterday, but talking with the coach and wife... they are trying to convince me that the personal issue contributed more than I think it might have (coach), and the wind was a huge factor too, likely adding more than 10 minutes to my time (wife).

All I know is the official race time (I have it now) 2:10:04.  That is not 1:59:59.  I just didn't have it in me this year.  I held back while I was running to make sure I didn't burn out too soon.  Then when I saw the halfway time, I didn't look at the clock and say, it's only three minutes, I can make that up easily, I looked at it and felt broken, and gave up.  That's when I started walking.  I also looked at my heart rate after the race (I never checked during the race), it dropped significantly for the second half.  It was a little stepper, so I was pushing a little harder, but I also probably wasn't taking care of my hydration.  I gave up mentally.

Overall, the run was not good for me.  I did spend a lot of yesterday with several good friends, that helped me a lot.

• Heart 1

I am starting to feel disappointed. This is a new feeling for me.

10 hours ago, Page Turner said:

How did you figure that out?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

The race time may not have been what you were hoping, but I have to say your willingness to help three others up the steepest part of the route AFTER you had completed the whole route speaks volumes to your fitness and character.  When most people finish a race/event, they are DONE! You went back for more and, in the process, gave more of yourself. That speaks volumes.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I believe in Wheels, whereas you Sir obviously do not. I have already trippled next year's bet on not only Wheels besting his time but his official time being under 2 hours. Under I said!   :nodhead:

....I believe he's getting older every year, and that he's spending a lot of time at work.  I believe his head was somewhere else, and like a lot of people was unable to pull it into the zone, where you need to be for peak performance. I believe that betting on the Mt Washington Race (a non profit fund raiser) is morally offensive, and that you will probably have to pay for doing so sometime in the future. And I believe I understand now why momCheese likes sisCheese best.:P

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1