What can you tell me about Letchworth State Park?

Kirby

I've got a long weekend planned in upstate NY, and I was thinking of adding on a day to visit Letchworth State Park.   I wanted to visit on my last trip to the area, but never got a chance.  The park looks lovely, but I'm trying to figure out where to stay.  It looks like the main hotels are north of the park.  The only thing I saw on the south side were some small b and b's (and camping is not an option).

Anything in particular that I should try to see if I go?  There appear to be a number of waterfalls, are any one of them the "don't miss"?

• Heart 1

07948c28-65df-40e1-ae17-2fd4a1307d42.jpg

Letchworth State Park, renowned as the "Grand Canyon of the East," is one of the most scenically magnificent areas in the eastern U.S. The Genesee River roars through the gorge over three major waterfalls between cliffs--as high as 600 feet in some places--surrounded by lush forests. Hikers can choose among 66 miles of hiking trails.

2018 CABIN INFORMATION

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

It’s beautiful, but you won’t find it in Upstate NY because it’s located in Western NY. Here are some of my pictures of the place. These pics are taken at the Southern end near the Glen Iris Inn. 

Do you have any idea how long it takes to drive from the north to the south part of the park?  Sometimes things that don't look far on a map can take a lot longer just because of the roads and speed limits.

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

. Do not go there alone. New York is full of Cuomos and other weirdos.  

...is this why you can't drive through South Carolina with NY plates on your car without paying a local Justice of the Peace toll ? I was always curious.

• Heart 1

...Oh Frabjous day:hapydance:

Genesee Beer

Genesee Beer can

For over 125 years Genesee has been an American icon.

Today, every can, bottle and pint glass delivers the same full taste and quality that made it famous in 1878. Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley, Genesee Beer will forever be a classic.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Do you have any idea how long it takes to drive from the north to the south part of the park?  Sometimes things that don't look far on a map can take a lot longer just because of the roads and speed limits.

About 45 minutes.  There is lodging in Mount Morris at the north end of the park or at the Glen Iris Inn at the south end.

34 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...also, do they still make and sell Genesee Beer ?

Yes they do. In fact, I have contributed to the making of it several times.  Gee Whiz.  ?

• Heart 2

I wish @Thaddeus Kosciuszko would stop in to tell you about Letchworth.  I can tell you the Glenn Iris Inn is nice.  Food is generally good and often local sourced.

By the visitor center there is a little museum that is an excellent source of area history.  I think the history of Mary Jemison might be there too.  Also there are guide walks and hikes--- worth doing to talk to the guide.  Lower falls, upper falls, and middle falls are all beautiful.  You may get to do a hot air balloon trip if the weather is right.  Also they have an excellent lecture series.

And, I'll be crying if you don't figure out how to meet up with me at least for a meal.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Now you sound like Cheese.? He is always trying to get Kirby to visit.

Except I've already had the opportunity to meet the wonderful Aires and even got to participate in Waffle Sunday!  :skipping: