Like We Needed This News...

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Indy said:

it looks like I freaking rolled in poison ivy this weekend.  I got two little bumps on my arm.

I keep getting bumps every time I cut grass.  I think I must be mowing or trimming over something poisonous and the residue is landing on my exposed arms.  :dontknow:

Just now, Road Runner said:

I keep getting bumps every time I cut grass.  I think I must be mowing or trimming over something poisonous and the residue is landing on my exposed arms.  :dontknow:

Probably, trimmer kicking it up in the air.  I'm lucky as the stuff doesn't really bother me, I really have to get into it to show any sign and then it just a bump or two.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Just keep it down there.

"Down"? 

In any case, it is likely just gonna keep spreading :(  We're all fucked as these plants (and bugs) that used to be kept in check by winter are finding new areas to explore.  

"the dangerous plant also grows in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, according to CBS."

Tom

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Down"? 

In any case, it is likely just gonna keep spreading :(  We're all fucked as these plants (and bugs) that used to be kept in check by winter are finding new areas to explore.  

"the dangerous plant also grows in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, according to CBS."

Tom

...maybe it can't go through a hot, rainless summer.  Probably transpires too much through the leaves.:hapydance:

I have cow parsnips to deal with on my property.  Similar but less severe skin reaction.  The juice gets on your skin then reacts due to exposure to sunlight.  Grows to about 6 feet.  This the time of year that I attack it with a machete.  I get it before the seeds mature. 

image.png.c7616fbbcde12832cef179ea0219ee7b.png

...we have poison oak as an endemic here instead of poison ivy.  I used to hit it with a defoliant early in the year, because my wife is very allergic to it (I'm not).

It knocks the leaves off, so less of a problem, but it just grows back the next year.  Poison oak is admirable for it's determination.