Gaming the sneezeguard system...

Randomguy

The sneezeguard food is abundant around this heavily-officed area where I work, and there is a stellar example close by.  Really tasty, but I can't get much at $9.99 a lb and all the food is purposefully heavy, you end up paying $11-13 for a small meal if you aren't super-careful with your portions.

I found out that the food is half-price after 3:00, so I got back a little while ago from a trip there.  I have food for at least three meals (mostly meats and a bit of veggies), and spent $11.00!

Yay!

Oh yeah, I sampled while I chose the dishes, too, adding to the value.  The slab bacon with brussell sprouts were the main sample target, as we the corned beef.  I feel strangely good about this.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

Do they have real grocery stores near where you live?  Good idea buying the used food.  It will up your resistance to germs.

Live?  Yes. Work? No. 

New York is set up to either kill you or ramp up immunity until a superbug cuts through and kills you. 

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I have food for at least three meals (mostly meats and a bit of veggies), and spent $11.00!

Your math seems wrong.

I get:

$9.99 for one pound meal * 3 meals = $29.97

$29.97 * 50% off after 3pm = $14.98 expected total cost for 3 meals @ half price.

OR

$11 paid / 50%  = $22

$22 / 3 = $7.33 per meal at REGULAR full price.

SO

Either you only got a smidge over two meals OR you can eat a meal for $7.33 and not the $9.99-$13 you claim.

Tom 

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I can't leave to go to lunch most of the time.  There has to be an RN in the building when the patient's are getting their blood cleaned.  That is usually me.  So I have to bring food from home 90% of the time.  

You and the world are both better for it.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Your math seems wrong.

I get:

$9.99 for one pound meal * 3 meals = $29.97

$29.97 * 50% off after 3pm = $14.98 expected total cost for 3 meals @ half price.

OR

$11 paid / 50%  = $22

$22 / 3 = $7.33 per meal at REGULAR full price.

SO

Either you only got a smidge over two meals OR you can eat a meal for $7.33 and not the $9.99-$13 you claim.

Tom 

WRONG!

Ok, kind of wrong, but kind of right based on not having all the information. 

When buying a normal lunch, you might say to yourself “hey, get some broccoli, you damn tool!” You might also say “maybe some mushrooms or zucchini could be healthy, you semi-autonomous drone”.  This drives the cost up. 

When buying for value, you necessarily eschew low value items like heavy vegetables, and instead concentrate on high value meats like slab bacon, corned beef, and skirt steak. 

Thus, my math would add up unless I ate overly much for breakfast, like I did today. Still, $11 for two meals is pretty good. I suppose I could extend it further if I got steamed rice from some chinaman restaurant or other nearby, there is a Thai place around the corner and a Korean place opposite it. 

51 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

How is your e coli this morning? Tasty with a chance of vomit?

I avoid most "bulk" sneezegard stuff after a horrible encounter w/potatoe salad BITD

Potato salad?  Might as well chug sewer water, only amateurs ever get mayonnaise-based items from buffets!

I only worry about the utensils.  Sanitization is the first thing I do when I can.

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Potato salad?  Might as well chug sewer water, only amateurs ever get mayonnaise-based items from buffets!

I only worry about the utensils.  Sanitization is the first thing I do when I can.

Go with a napkin wrapped around the utensil or a white glove like Michael Jackson (or Howard Hughes).

Un-crazy chicks DIG guys who wear a single glove.

Tom

• Heart 2