Roots suck

Parr8hed

watch out for the WTF sections

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have spent too much money on his bikes that I could not afford to buy myself a proper MTB. 

-going over the bars because of a stupid root hurts off road, but not nearly as much as on road.

I bet G is happy and appreciates it :) he looks happy

and, watch out for them WTF sections :biker:  you're not @Dirtyhip ;) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

G has been doing well with the whole MTB thing.  But I really coud not ride with him when he wanted to train as I had no proper MTB.  But the bigger part of the picture is that I have spent too much money on his bikes that I could not afford to buy myself a proper MTB.  Had an older road bike that was a nice bike, just a little outdated.  Put it on the facebook and found someone that wanted to trade a nice older MTB for it.  

G and I rode trails last night.  It was fun.  A few observations from my first bike ride in a while.

-Mountain bikes are fun.  

-Trails are way more fun that roads for hours on end.  

-I need gloves

-full suspension is very dope.  It makes things so much nicer.

-going over the bars because of a stupid root hurts off road, but not nearly as much as on road.

-i am out of shape.

While road riding helps build endurance, MTB riding will build strength and skills.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

While road riding helps build endurance, MTB riding will build strength and skills.

He is racing short track MTB mainly to build for Cx this fall.  there are some long track races that he will do as well.  

I've always like the Jamis Dakar.

Roots are nothing, it's wash outs that are the worse, place the front tire in the wrong spot and kiss your ass good bye.

And if you said something and I missed it, I could've hooked you up with a Fuji HT that isn't bad for a cheap bike.  But you definitely got a better bike than that.

37 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

G has been doing well with the whole MTB thing.  But I really coud not ride with him when he wanted to train as I had no proper MTB.  But the bigger part of the picture is that I have spent too much money on his bikes that I could not afford to buy myself a proper MTB.  Had an older road bike that was a nice bike, just a little outdated.  Put it on the facebook and found someone that wanted to trade a nice older MTB for it.  

G and I rode trails last night.  It was fun.  A few observations from my first bike ride in a while.

-Mountain bikes are fun.  

-Trails are way more fun that roads for hours on end.  

-I need gloves

-full suspension is very dope.  It makes things so much nicer.

-i am out of shape.

I like this post.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I've always like the Jamis Dakar.

Roots are nothing, it's wash outs that are the worse, place the front tire in the wrong spot and kiss your ass good bye.

And if you said something and I missed it, I could've hooked you up with a Fuji HT that isn't bad for a cheap bike.  But you definitely got a better bike than that.

I have ridden very, very few MTB trails.  And all of them were on cheap HT's or my cheap fat bike.  This is the first full suspension bike I have ever ridden.  I was VERY impressed.  It still needs some tweaking (saddle sucks, need to re position the angle as well, grips suck) but all in all it was a lot of fun.  The suspension really absorbs a lot.  

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

What shock is that and how do you like it on the rear?  I need to replace the shock on a Gary Fisher Sugar 4 for a clydesdale rider.

It is a Fox.  That's all I know.  I don't know if there are different models or levels?

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

That's a great bike.  For years I lusted after one but never pulled the trigger.  Not as modern as some but one of the better old school.

The problem with the newer ones, is they are more complex.  So you have more points of failure in the suspension and more maintenance to them.  There is a lot to like about some of the older simpler suspension designs. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

It is a Fox.  That's all I know.  I don't know if there are different models or levels?

Do you mind me asking how much the guy that rides that bike weighs?..... 

If you like the shock, could you take a close up and post it, or look for the model number on it.  I am looking for an air / spring shock but have no idea what to get for a 250 lb plus rider

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

If you like the shock, could you take a close up and post it, or look for the model number on it.  I am looking for an air / spring shock but have no idea what to get for a 250 lb plus rider

I have an old wallgoose on the junk pile out behind the garage. I could send you the shock off of it.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yea, when I get home from work I will message you.  I will take a pic.  There is an adjustment for weight of the rider.  You basically tighten up the spring on the shock.  I need to get on the interwebs or the youtubes and figure out how to set it up for realz.  The fork has an adjustment on one side that is plus/minus and then there is an air valve in it.  I guess I need a fork air pump to set it up.  It felt pretty soft for my weight.  I am close to 300 right now.  

20 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have ridden very, very few MTB trails.  And all of them were on cheap HT's or my cheap fat bike.  This is the first full suspension bike I have ever ridden.  I was VERY impressed.  It still needs some tweaking (saddle sucks, need to re position the angle as well, grips suck) but all in all it was a lot of fun.  The suspension really absorbs a lot.  

It looks like you have little wheels. Bigger wheels roll over roots easier. 

That's some old school XTR, pretty cool and XT hubs maybe. It looks like a pretty tricked out bike for it's age. But that stem looks crazy long. 

Ergon grips will help your hands. Probably $30 at your local shop.

4937_ergon_gp1_grips.jpg

• Heart 1

Yea, when I get home from work I will message you.  I will take a pic.  There is an adjustment for weight of the rider.  You basically tighten up the spring on the shock.  I need to get on the interwebs or the youtubes and figure out how to set it up for realz.  The fork has an adjustment on one side that is plus/minus and then there is an air valve in it.  I guess I need a fork air pump to set it up.  It felt pretty soft for my weight.  I am close to 300 right now.  

Yes, you need a fork pump.  Fork pumps are low volume but higher pressure than a standard bike pump.  I tend to always run mine on the stiff side.  The plus/minus is going to be your rebound adjust.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

The problem with the newer ones, is they are more complex.  So you have more points of failure in the suspension and more maintenance to them.  There is a lot to like about some of the older simpler suspension designs. 

For quite a while I was hunting for a frame on Ebay.  They always commanded what I considered too high a price.  I would have modernized the bike with bearings if the frame came with bushings (many Dakars did) and a newer air shock.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

That's some old school XTR, pretty cool and XT hubs maybe. It looks like a pretty tricked out bike for it's age. But that stem looks crazy long. 

4937_ergon_gp1_grips.jpg

Yea, the stem is long but it seemed to work for me (in the limited time that I rode it).  I probably won't mess with it until it becomes a problem.  I will most likely put lizzard skin grips on it. That's what we put on my son's bike and he loves them.  They feel grippier.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

For quite a while I was hunting for a frame on Ebay.  They always commanded what I considered too high a price.  I would have modernized the bike with bearings if the frame came with bushings (many Dakars did) and a newer air shock.

There is nothing wrong with bushings, just put some oil on them and let it soak in, good to go.  Not that going to bearings is a bad things, just sometimes it's a bit over kill in certain applications.

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Yea, the stem is long but it seemed to work for me (in the limited time that I rode it).  I probably won't mess with it until it becomes a problem.  I will most likely put lizzard skin grips on it. That's what we put on my son's bike and he loves them.  They feel grippier.

I like Lizzard skin grips, that's what I run.  Add a pair of full finger gloves and you are pretty well latched on and also a good idea to protect your hands for when you need to give the tree that jumps in front of you a push off.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Indy said:

There is nothing wrong with bushings, just put some oil on them and let it soak in, good to go.  Not that going to bearings is a bad things, just sometimes it's a bit over kill in certain applications.

I can tell that I am going to need a class in MTB maintenance.  My other bikes just get washed and the chain cleaned/lubed.  I don't know nothing about bushings and bearings.  

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

4937_ergon_gp1_grips.jpg

Ditto on the Ergons. I have them on my HT and love them. I put some ESI Chunky's on the Anthem and they are better than the stock grips but the jury is still out if I like them more than the Ergons.

Just now, Parr8hed said:

I can tell that I am going to need a class in MTB maintenance.  My other bikes just get washed and the chain cleaned/lubed.  I don't know nothing about bushings and bearings.  

Yours is a simple setup, not much more to it than a road bike.  Shocks are the biggest, but most are best off to take them in when they start to become an issue and have them rebuilt.

Be careful before you get too deep. Judging from the age, it probably needs to have the fork and rear shock rebuilt and the brakes bled. It gets spendy. You might just ride it for a while and save your pennies for a newer bike. If you plan to keep it for a while, then get ready or get good with youtube.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, dennis said:

Be careful before you get too deep. Judging from the age, it probably needs to have the fork and rear shock rebuilt and the brakes bled. It gets spendy. You might just ride it for a while and save your pennies for a newer bike. If you plan to keep it for a while, then get ready or get good with youtube.

Keep an eye on the interwebs, and track down new shocks when they go on sale.  Catch it right, you can get it all up to speed fairly cheap.

24 minutes ago, smudge said:

I found out I love suspension too.

Have fun!

Someone should buy me one so I can decide.  I haven't been on one since the early Fisher Sugars.  Though back then I was racing some and a light weight HT was still king in the XC world.  As I get older, I think my body could certainly use to take some of the jarring off.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I have no mtn biking experience to advise you on...but almost 300 pounds :whistle: ...might want to think about dropping a few pounds so you can train with your kids and not injure yourself

I hear a good way to lose weight is to train for another IM.:whistle:

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I think it's odd that when I saw the title of this thread I mostly expected to read that a root had punctured, blocked or otherwise compromised the main sewer line from your house.

Going over the bars sounds better.

I thought maybe he didn't like Rusted Root or John Legend and the Roots.

• Haha 1

When I started Mt Biking, a few years back, there was some open ground near my house. Tight, muddy, root covered trails, I don't know who made them, never saw anybody in there.

Any way I learned to handle the roots, was charging around getting bolder & bolder. There was a wee crick running through the patch, I blasted down the trail leading to it, launched off a rock, Cleared the crick, landed front wheel first in the muck on the far side of the water.

The front wheel dove axle deep into the mud, I went over the bars in slow motion and buried my head ears deep in the muck.

Me & the bike formed an art piece for a few seconds, before toppling over. I'd pay money for a pic of the zenith moment.

Nothing was hurt on me or the bike, although it was a bitch to pull the wheel out of the mud.

.......I do have a lot of neck issues now a days......  

13 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I have no mtn biking experience to advise you on...but almost 300 pounds :whistle: ...might want to think about dropping a few pounds so you can train with your kids and not injure yourself

Well no shit? ?

That's why I got the stupid thing! To ride with G and try to drop some pounds.  Story of my life.  Always trying to drop a few (fifty) pounds. 

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I hear a good way to lose weight is to train for another IM.:whistle:

Actually I think it's a horrible way to lose weight.  You can eat as much as you want.  You have to eat a ton of food at peak time to be able to endure the training.  I didn't lose near as much as I wanted because I was ALWAYS hungry and ALWAYS eating.  I think that shorter, more manageable rides and runs are the way to go.  Something a little more intense.  

I have already proven that I really have no self control with food.  My biggest vice.  The IM afforded me the luxury of over eating.  When I was done I just kept eating the same way.  Hellllloooooo 300 lbs!

• Haha 1

Don't buy a ten foot kayak. My brother bought one, it's rated for 250 lbs and he is 248. It works as long as there are not waves in the water. He asked me how come my kayak doesn't take on water like his does. My fishing kayak is a twelve footer and is rated at 395 lbs.  I'm fine with the ten footers though, I'm only 180 pounds now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Don't buy a ten foot kayak. My brother bought one, it's rated for 250 lbs and he is 248. It works as long as there are not waves in the water. He asked me how come my kayak doesn't take on water like his does. My fishing kayak is a twelve footer and is rated at 395 lbs.  I'm fine with the ten footers though, I'm only 180 pounds now.

Good to know.  I have been thinking of getting one.  How about canoes?  My plan is to possibly get a canoe for the wife and I and a couple of smaller kayaks for the tax deductions.  

• Awesome 1