Reverse sear

Prophet Zacharia

Anyone try it? It’s contrary to every law of beef that I’ve ever known.

Heat the oven to 225 degrees. Place a large steak on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, and then set it in the oven. Cook until the steak is 115 degrees in the middle, or about 20 degrees shy of medium-rare. How long this takes depends on the size of your steak, but it usually takes me at least 50 minutes. This is a slight pain, but nothing compared with too much smoke.

Fresh out of the oven, the steak looks miserable and gray. But you're not done. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, and as soon as it starts to smoke, add the beef. Instead of leaving it be, flip it every 30 seconds, or until the interior registers around 130 degrees for medium rare, about two minutes.

• Heart 1

Seems that reverse sear is a great way to cook thick steaks.

I just did a nice sear on some steaks a few weeks ago.  Did Matt Martinez rub on them,   Let them sit for about 6 hours and then seared them on all sided on the sear burner and finished over low heat on the grill.  Oh so juicy and a nice pink all the way to the center.  

4 Tbsp. granulated garlic
4 Tbsp. Kosher salt (or 3 Tbsp. regular salt)
4 Tbsp. corn starch
2 Tbsp. paprika
3 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. white pepper
3/4 tsp. dried thyme

• Heart 1

I heat the oven to 410F.

Rub the steak with salt, pepper and garlic, after I moisten it.

Put a rack in a pan and put the pan in the oven, and let it rip for 10 or 11 minutes.

Drop the temp, how far depends on the time of day, but never over 260.

Depends on the cut, but I aim for 160F.

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Anyone try it? It’s contrary to every law of beef that I’ve ever known.

Heat the oven to 225 degrees. Place a large steak on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, and then set it in the oven. Cook until the steak is 115 degrees in the middle, or about 20 degrees shy of medium-rare. How long this takes depends on the size of your steak, but it usually takes me at least 50 minutes. This is a slight pain, but nothing compared with too much smoke.

Fresh out of the oven, the steak looks miserable and gray. But you're not done. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, and as soon as it starts to smoke, add the beef. Instead of leaving it be, flip it every 30 seconds, or until the interior registers around 130 degrees for medium rare, about two minutes.

Sounds interesting. I wonder if you could braise the meat and then sear it to add flavor?

Yea, I have tried it.  I think that I cooked the steak too hot.  I used about 350 deg in the oven (stupid).  I used to use the opposite method.  Sear in a cast iron skillet on both sides and then put in the oven for 10 min at 350.  It is PERFECT that way.  But I heard about the reverse thing on Joe Rogan and wanted to try it.  I will play around with it some more.