6/20/18 miles and such

smudge

6 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Taking the AWOL on the cross county trail. 

How does a bike like the AWOL or a cross or a gravel bike do on the CCT?  I've only ridden short sections of it, so always wondered. Lake Fairfax section seems less friendly, but no overtly technical sections.  Past LF towards Great Falls seemed fine as far as I went, but I haven't gone too far.  The other direction I have never ridden.

Tom

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

How does a bike like the AWOL or a cross or a gravel bike do on the CCT?  I've only ridden short sections of it, so always wondered. Lake Fairfax section seems less friendly, but no overtly technical sections.  Past LF towards Great Falls seemed fine as far as I went, but I haven't gone too far.  The other direction I have never ridden.

Tom

The AWOL does ok on the CCT north of the W&OD. There are a few technical sections that are beyond my abilities but the 29" tires roll up and over pretty easy. I'm riding on the section east of Fairfax Circle, flat gravel and paved sections thru the woods along Accotink creek. I'm riding over to Vienna Metro to meet a friend and then back to Lake Accotink.

19.4 miles, 1:20, 14.5 avg. Started to rain during the ride but it was a warm summer rain. Pretty zen riding on the gravel trail thru the woods and hearing the rain hit the leaves and the creek running along the trail. Bummer were the dickbag mountain bikers blocking the trail in two places near Wakefield. "Heads up" got me irritated looks that I was interrupting their tales of shredding the gnarl.

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

36 miles at 18.7 mph.  It was warm here today ( warm for here...., around 80), I don't know how you southers can ride in the temps you get.

It was 80 when i headed out at 6 PM and i was happy it cooled down.  But on the flip side we are bundled up when it dips below 60.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

45 minutes in the basement, and yes @Razors Edge, the miles count.

Well, I say we get the mileage total from your front wheel.  I will grant you 100% credit for those miles. :D

And, I finally got to use a "whatever" emoticon.

Tom