Hurricane Season

BuffJim

• 2 weeks later...

I did schedule my vacation this year on the beach during Hurricane Season - Mid September.

Westerly RI  3 nights   To visit my daughter. We're planning to visit Newport RI and Mystic CT. I hear they have good cigarettes in Newport and good Pizza in Mystic.

and Ocean City Md  4 nights - cause I like it there. I'm gonna get crabs.

Actually a Hurricane then would be a pain in the a**.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Buff Carla will like shopping in Newport.  If it weren't for the movie, Mystic Pizza would be just another pizza joint.

BuffCarla's not going. She doesn't get along well with my daughter.  We had our one nice long vacation this year, and will have a couple more weekend getaways - Civil war battlefields on Labor day weekend and either Toronto or Cleveland RnR Hall  of Fame in the fall.

This trip is 3 days with my daughter, and 4 days by myself. Even at my age I sometimes feel guilty about going on a solo vacation when I am married, but I do like getting away by myself,

• Heart 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, BuffJim said:

This link must update to the latest version.  Not so boring anymore.

I think I may to get a hurricane lantern and some good raingear for my vacation starting Sep 15. Some of the models show Florence right on the Mid Atlantic or North East Coast.

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

This link must update to the latest version.  Not so boring anymore.

I think I may to get a hurricane lantern and some good raingear for my vacation starting Sep 15. Some of the models show the Florence right on the Mid Atlantic or North East Coast.

I was super impressed at the forecast!!! But I guess it really does update :(

Tom

• Heart 1

Hey DeathJim, if you haven't listened to this I would recommend you do.  Short Audible original - just over 2 hours.  An interesting take on data and the massive amounts of data collected and stored by NOAA.

image.png.036bf62956adc567eadffb05fc96f3c1.png

Tornadoes, cyclones, tsunamis… Weather can be deadly – especially when it strikes without warning. Millions of Americans could soon find themselves at the mercy of violent weather if the public data behind lifesaving storm alerts gets privatized for personal gain. In his first Audible Original, New York Times best-selling author and journalist Michael Lewis delivers hard-hitting research on not-so-random weather data – and how Washington plans to release it. He also digs deep into the lives of two scientists who revolutionized climate predictions, bringing warning systems to previously unimaginable levels of accuracy. One is Kathy Sullivan, a gifted scientist among the first women in space; the other, D.J. Patil, is a trickster-turned-mathematician and a political adviser. Most urgently, Lewis’s narrative reveals the potential cost of putting a price tag on information with the potential to save lives, raising questions about balancing public service with profits in an ethically-ambiguous atmosphere.

• Heart 2

On 9/6/2018 at 3:15 PM, Kzoo said:

Hey DeathJim, if you haven't listened to this I would recommend you do.  Short Audible original - just over 2 hours.  An interesting take on data and the massive amounts of data collected and stored by NOAA.

image.png.036bf62956adc567eadffb05fc96f3c1.png

Tornadoes, cyclones, tsunamis… Weather can be deadly – especially when it strikes without warning. Millions of Americans could soon find themselves at the mercy of violent weather if the public data behind lifesaving storm alerts gets privatized for personal gain. In his first Audible Original, New York Times best-selling author and journalist Michael Lewis delivers hard-hitting research on not-so-random weather data – and how Washington plans to release it. He also digs deep into the lives of two scientists who revolutionized climate predictions, bringing warning systems to previously unimaginable levels of accuracy. One is Kathy Sullivan, a gifted scientist among the first women in space; the other, D.J. Patil, is a trickster-turned-mathematician and a political adviser. Most urgently, Lewis’s narrative reveals the potential cost of putting a price tag on information with the potential to save lives, raising questions about balancing public service with profits in an ethically-ambiguous atmosphere.

Big fan, but I've got a stack of books already. Sigh, can't miss an ML book.

Crap, there's not a single library copy in Maine. I'll bug my librarian monday.

david-hedison-as-scientist-and-human-fly

There is a hurricane, followed by a tropical depression, followed by tropical storm that will be a hurricane - all of them potentially headed for NC, VA, or MD landfalls.

It's usually not the high winds that devastate Maryland, but the flooding after massive rains.  Considering we've had mostly rainy days all summer - my county, mostly between Baltimore and Annapolis, is under a flood watch now thru 6 pm Monday even without the hurricanes.  I remember how bad the mid-Atlantic got it in 1972 when Agnes dumped so much rain after 23 rainy days the previous 29 days.

I recently checked out my gasoline generator to make sure I can run the basement sump pump, my TV, a light, and intermittently run the refrigerator, etc. as needed.  If, for some reason, we get really cold weather, I know how to isolate the power line into my forced air nat-gas furnace, splice in the male end of an extension cord into it, plug it into the generator, and heat the house.  Fortunately, that's not going to happen in September.

I got a 1200 Watt generator that only burns 1 gal./gas every 6 hours.  I have 2 gallons of gas in my lawnmower's gasoline can and will keep my car's tank filled in case I need to siphon some.