Should I just stay up?

Prophet Zacharia

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I leave for the airport at 4:15. Toronto then onto Tokyo. 14 hours of flying. If I just stay up until I leave Toronto, that should ensure a nice long sleep on the plane, right?

It seems like every time I try and be smart about these things it bites me in the ass.  I say get your sleep when you can.  Sleep now if you can.

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I leave for the airport at 4:15. Toronto then onto Tokyo. 14 hours of flying. If I just stay up until I leave Toronto, that should ensure a nice long sleep on the plane, right?

You're flying straight to Tokyo from T.O.?

I'm going straight .. from my city.  I can't sleep on planes. I'm bringing a light book to read: "Little Mosque on the Prairie", by a Canadian author..(there was a light comedy Canadian series for a few years).  My partner is checking the famed Tsijiki Fish Market right now. All I know is our hotel is nice and well-situated.  My work colleagues are more excited a few hrs. ago for me. Whereas trip hasn't totally sunk into my head..even though I've done enough research to help plan our trip.  

Maybe you'll end up going to the Firefly festival evenings.....to see fireflies in the park.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

3 am came up fast. Now let’s see if I can get any meaningful sleep on the plane today. An Ativan says “maybe”.

I was going to say Benadryl, but I like where your head is at.  Safe travels buddy.

• Awesome 1

I went for a lovely early morning spin..birds twittering, sun rising, glacial blue river waters tumbling by the path..and 20+ fuzzy ducklings with parents walking across the MUP.

unfortunately my body works like an alarm clock.when it's primed to  wake up at certain time to go to work, it will. 

I was chatting with work colleague yesterday...her sister loves to visit her in our city every summer from China.  She lives in big city of over 7 million. She comes escape the humid summer heat in her area and appreciates our clean air, blue skies, food safety and drier summer air. And of course our mountains, wilderness....  Sister not immigrating because she has a great well-paid job working for municipality there.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:56 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I hope you were able to sleep on the plane.  I was well rested after flying from Baltimore to Detroit, Detroit to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Shanghai.

But I returned from Beijing to Detroit, 12 hours and 32 minutes in the air, and a baby cried for at least 10 of those hours.  On the connecting flight, Detroit to Baltimore, I sat with a Mennonite Minister who was returning to Maryland from missionary work in Africa (Detroit was the worldwide hub for Northwest Airlines).  He described in detail witnessing how a tribe he visited circumcised boys at age 13 in a big ceremony.  Two women were sitting behind us and wore a grimace on their faces most of the way to Baltimore while his stories of Africa were interesting and amusing and kept me awake.

I don’t sleep well on planes. Maybe one 45 minute nap and two shorter 30 minute naps. That may have been the longest 13 hours of my life. But Tokyo is great! The culture shock is phenomenal, and the language barrier extreme. We tried to get our dinner check last night. Our waiter came back to the table with 5 pens, thinking this was somehow what we were requesting. ?

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t sleep well on planes. 

One time I was able to sleep on a west to east coast flight and managed to sleep almost the whole trip.  It was great!  I don't know what happened but I did it.  But I have never managed to do it again.  I just can't sleep on them either and I've been on a few European flights from Seattle which would have been nice if I could have.  No way.  You just step into that sardine can and linger in the hot oil until your reach your destination.