Anybody here use a second WiFi router to run all their stuff?

2Far

We have U-verse WiFi and a wireless WiFi box for 2 TVs. 

There's a bunch of stuff connected to the regular WiFi and Wo2 complains that she can't always stream on her TV. I'm wondering if a second (third) wireless router plugged into the main U-verse box would speed things up. 

Whatcha got. 

Ironically, we just bought a Ubibiquiti Amplifi mesh router. The wife's coworker swears by it so that's what we went with. We plan on hooking it up this weekend. I will let you know how it goes. We stream shows and the MLB network via wifi and the smart tvs. The tv room is a little far and the wifi signal can be weak in that room. We are hoping to eliminate that problem. Son has a man-cave and bedroom in the basement doesn't have an issue as he hard-wired the cable to his xbox and runs a cable to his tv.

• Heart 1

Unless the WiFi router system (mesh type system) is designed to work together, the usual rule is when you add a router, you cut the speed in half.

How many people are streaming content simultaneously?

What is your download speed directly from the main router?

speedtest.net

• Heart 1

I went the other way. My Asus router is my workhorse, but Spectrum/Brighthouse demanded a Triple pack (cheaper than a Double pack) and it required a router with phone support. Cable input was to their cable modem/router with further connection to the Asus router which supported my entire system. On it's most basic level, it worked. But put complex demands on it and had issues. To work in daisy chain, the first router (Spectrum) has to be in bridge mode, however, Spectrum wouldn't give me the access to check it, with support just telling me it is. Two major areas where had difficulty, The Asus had native VPN server and client capability, but never could connect in. Likewise, could never access security cameras externally, and that included a cellular with an app.

Finally gave up tinkering and dumped Spectrum. Wasn't even dependent on them for Internet only, as my neighborhood is one of the few that is dually wired - Spectrum and Comcast. While my old cable modem would have worked, it was essentially end-of-life and next cable capacity upgrade would make it obsolete. Purchased a new Surfboard SB8200 and everything works fine. Of course, it has an absurd number (32?) of Channels only further support the throughput, where lesser models are 16 to 24 channels.   Current speedtest: Download 110.42, upload 12.04 which is a little over what I am paying for. Router works fine and as I am typing this, have 16 clients active.

Got Internet only and converted the Cable (and formerly DirectTV) wiring system to OTA which watch almost exclusively. Not currently subscribed to Sling but probably will when footballs season start. Internet had no problem when I had Direct TV Now for 3 months as part of a special they have not repeated, but too good to pass up. (Free Apple TV 4K with 3 month subscription - and the lowest, $35/mo, was qualifying!) Wanted to upgrade my older 2nd generation Apple TV anyway! Also, have no problem streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc anywhere in the house.

31 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

Unless the WiFi router system (mesh type system) is designed to work together, the usual rule is when you add a router, you cut the speed in half.

How many people are streaming content simultaneously?

What is your download speed directly from the main router?

speedtest.net

She is typically the only one streaming, usually late at night. 

1146D9CB-D16B-45DA-8534-156FC00C4396.png

12 hours ago, Old#7 said:

Ironically, we just bought a Ubibiquiti Amplifi mesh router. The wife's coworker swears by it so that's what we went with. We plan on hooking it up this weekend. I will let you know how it goes. We stream shows and the MLB network via wifi and the smart tvs. The tv room is a little far and the wifi signal can be weak in that room. We are hoping to eliminate that problem. Son has a man-cave and bedroom in the basement doesn't have an issue as he hard-wired the cable to his xbox and runs a cable to his tv.

I am curious to see how this works out for you.

12 hours ago, Old#7 said:

Ubiquiti makes great products, but is relatively unknown. MESH is the only way to go with any system as it hands off without without weakening the signal like a remote wifi extension setup would. My ASUS also has MESH capability, but within a 2000sq ft house, I do fine with one. Since all MESH is designed around that brand's specific routers, my current one supports it so when upgrading, I have a short list to choose from and incorporate both into a single MESH system.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, 2Far said:

We have U-verse WiFi and a wireless WiFi box for 2 TVs. 

There's a bunch of stuff connected to the regular WiFi and Wo2 complains that she can't always stream on her TV. I'm wondering if a second (third) wireless router plugged into the main U-verse box would speed things up. 

Whatcha got. 

I had U-Verse, their wireless router sucked.  I hooked my own into it and things worked much better.

9 hours ago, 2Far said:

Bumpin for ole #7. 

He hooked it up and now he has no internet, I heard it worked so well it took on the internet for the entire county even.

• Heart 1

Wo2 sez that when the TV won't stream properly, she turns off the wireless cable box and then it seems to work OK. They use different WiFi routers and the wireless TV box router is dedicated to just the 2 wireless boxes and one of them isn't being used..

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...

Took me forever to get the new router installed because I was scared I'd fuck it up. It can't be as easy as unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Something was going to go wrong. The computer tech came over and set everything up yesterday. He downloaded the latest updates and tested the placement of the two boosters for optimal coverage. Took him about two hours. We went from 25-30 Mbps to 125-150 Mbps. Better coverage throughout. I haven't tested the range outside yet but may do that tonight.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Old#7 said:

Took me forever to get the new router installed because I was scared I'd fuck it up. It can't be as easy as unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Something was going to go wrong. The computer tech came over and set everything up yesterday. He downloaded the latest updates and tested the placement of the two boosters for optimal coverage. Took him about two hours. We went from 25-30 Mbps to 125-150 Mbps. Better coverage throughout. I haven't tested the range outside yet but may do that tonight.

Nice upgrade in speed.

Question...were the two boosters Ubibiquiti also designed to work within the same brand MESH setup, or were they a variety of brands forcing MESH or using more traditional bridging.