Have you ever driven while grossly intoxicated?

Road Runner

No worries.  It will just be our little secret.  

When I was young and stupid, I drove home on several occasions and never remembered any of it.  Sometimes, I didn't even remember most of the night.  Many other times, I drove home just hoping I could hold things in until I got to my house.  I'm pretty sure I was extremely intoxicated on just about all of those occasions.  On a bazillion other occasions, I'm pretty sure I drove while being above the legal limit.  Luckily, I never hurt anyone nor even got pulled over.  I was super extremely lucky.  So was everyone else that was in my car and the other people on the road.

I haven't had a drink in the last 25 years.

• Heart 1

I seem to remember a couple times were I was pretty drunk and behind the wheel.  I was usually the designated driver of our group and didn't often drink much.  That doesn't mean I didn't cross the line a couple times.  I remember a time I got stopped on a Sunday afternoon about 2 blocks from my apartment.  A friend and I spent the day at a sports bar and he was too drunk to drive and since I was less drunker I did.  The drive was short - maybe 10 blocks but I didn't make it before getting pulled over.  The cop said they were looking for a white truck just like the one I was driving involved in a recent hit and run.  I was as cooperative as I could be - slurring about every other work.  My friend - the owner of the truck was trying hard not to laugh at the way I was talking.  The cop never got to the point of asking for license and registration.  He had some questions for me and walked around the truck.  Not seeing the damage he was looking for he quickly sent me on my way but told me to get there and PARK the truck.   

I haven't have anything to drink in the last 20 years.

• Heart 1

Never....  In my younger & wilder days I was in Law Enforcement and wouldn't risk it.  I  also saw 1st hand the effects of drunken driving and it made a life long impact on me.

To this day I won't drink if there is a chance I'll need to drive.

• Heart 3

Nope.

When I was young and stupid I was too poor to own a car so it was walk or hitch a ride.  

I did, one time, for 'scientific purposes' sit with some guys I worked with and drink and drink and drink and continually test ourselves on the Breathalyzer to see what our readings were.  I was way passed the point of ever thinking of driving and I could still legally drive.  It was scary to see what you had to drink to fail.

On a side note, for a guy my size, I am a bit of a lightweight and a pretty cheap drunk

No.  When in college and during my early Navy time I was carless and occasionally guilty of walking while severely impaired but with the arrival of the cars I began a racing career so quickly that it never crossed my mind.  One might say that I quickly learned a healthy respect for the dangers that an uncontrolled car could bring.

If by "grossly" you mean "stumbling and slurring" then no. 

But there were three times i drove when i knew i shouldn't. I remember each time specifically (the last was i think 19 years ago). I came of age late enough that the dangers were well known, but i let practicality win. I was lucky. 

There are a few things in life I'm not proud of and this is one. Please forgive me. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

define "grossly intoxicated".  That has a lot to do with my answer.  Like drunk enough to start drunk texting old girlfriends while driving, or too drunk to even see the phone?

Speaking of old girlfriends - pretty trashed, couple people in the Cutlass, missed the parking lot entrance for the next bar we were headed to, so I pulled in the next parking lot to figure out what to do.  With a plan and a mission, back onto the highway, aware of my reduced abilities I spent extra time looking to the left.  Not enough looking to the right where the pole awaited to jump right onto the side of my car as I turned too tight.  Oh - old girlfriend.  She made me get out from behind the wheel, decided we'd skip the next bar and drove me home.

I haven't had anything to drink in the last 20 minutes.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Nope.

When I was young and stupid I was too poor to own a car so it was walk or hitch a ride.  

I did, one time, for 'scientific purposes' sit with some guys I worked with and drink and drink and drink and continually test ourselves on the Breathalyzer to see what our readings were.  I was way passed the point of ever thinking of driving and I could still legally drive.  It was scary to see what you had to drink to fail.

On a side note, for a guy my size, I am a bit of a lightweight and a pretty cheap drunk

How do you do a breathalyzer with that helmet on?  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tizeye said:

I don't remember. :whistle:

That pretty much says it for my one time (ok, one major time).  It was a bachelor party, and after that I swore off shots.  It was scary to wake up the next day and have no recollection whatsoever of driving home.  Many of us were very lucky to have our stupidity go unpunished.  Luckily it was just a few blocks to get home, but I am still amazed I made it.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

In this area, almost no one could or can walk to a bar or a nightclub.  You had to drive to get there.  You drank.  Quite a bit at times.  What came next was a foregone conclusion.

Exactly.  Then everyone is aghast when someone drives while intoxicated.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Exactly.  Then everyone is aghast when someone drives while intoxicated.  :rolleyes:

I really don't understand bars in non-city areas.  Totally impractical to sit there drinking when you have to drive to get there and back.

Wait - did you just quote yourself, Mr. Bates? :D

• Heart 1

When & where I was young drinking & driving was excepted & expected. If you treated the cop with respect he would either give you a ride home or follow you home. To get a DUI you had to be really wasted or an asshole. So we drank and drove.

I had many adventures and thank all the gods that no one was ever hurt.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Sometimes, I make a pretty good point but no one picks up on it or I make a joke and no one gets it.  Self quoting is needed at times and could be the literal form of masturbation.  :)

It was just funny that you were having a conversation with yourself. :D

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I used to work with a guy who swore off driving forever due to some deep dark past problem.  He walked a lot of miles to and from trains stations.

I am glad it happened because it called attention to the issue. I have recovered from it but it was painful and I certainly hope long lasting. Self destruction is a horrible thing.