How to do dinner

12string

I know too many people popping something out of  a box into the microwave, or ordering take out.  It's not a lot harder to eat way better.

Dinner last night - venison chops from my nephew, marinated overnight in bourbon and molasses with herbs from the garden, seared & braised homemade egg noodles rolled & cut and dropped fresh in the pot, green salad all fresh out of the garden, local craft beer

yeah, can't get that in the frozen food section

• Heart 3

13 minutes ago, 12string said:

....It's not a lot harder to eat way better.

Dinner last night - venison chops from my nephew, marinated overnight in bourbon and molasses with herbs from the garden, seared & braised homemade egg noodles rolled & cut and dropped fresh in the pot, green salad all fresh out of the garden, local craft beer

Look, I agree that dinner from a box heated in the microwave is not a good habit, but I would not say you chose a good example of "it's not a lot harder".  The pre-planning to marinate overnight, maybe, but homemade pasta and a freshly harvested salad? I would say that is a lot harder especially for people who are pressed for time.

What local beer did you have?

When the kids were young we decided to cook our own meals for a couple of reasons.

Admittedly cost was the primary driver, it's less expensive to cook for 4 than buy out for 4 daily.  Second was I enjoy cooking and didn't mind doing so. Finally we just ate better when we ate at home.  I have a good understanding of proper nutrition and cooked healthy meals.  I also had enough skill to be able to make food taste and look good so it got eaten.

Now that the kids are doing their own thing  we still eat in more than out but admittedly my wife and I will grab something out more than before. 

31 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Look, I agree that dinner from a box heated in the microwave is not a good habit, but I would not say you chose a good example of "it's not a lot harder".  The pre-planning to marinate overnight, maybe, but homemade pasta and a freshly harvested salad? I would say that is a lot harder especially for people who are pressed for time.

What local beer did you have?

well if you're gonna add in the effort hunt, dress and butcher the deer, till, plant, harvest herbs and veggies.... but I saved a TON of time using flour from a bag.

Pressed for time?  Wednesday night - played a prayer service and hung out for the wake, out for dinner with friends, hit the grocery store , little garden weeding, marinated meat, paid some bills, practiced guitar. Thursday night, bike ride, jewelry design appointment with the wife, home depot run, some garden weeding, make & eat dinner, roll the rest of the noodles, online shopping, vacation packing......

Oh - Flying Fish Abbey Dubbel

• Heart 2

OK, but you must understand that some of the rest of us are pressed for time?  ;)

I hardly ever have time to pick up the guitar, not that I do so professionally or anything.  However it's a bit of soul-cleansing that I could really use most days.

I used to drink a lot of Flying Fish - I was an ESB guy but it's been a while since I had one.  Since I moved out of Camden County they're not "my local" anymore.

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

OK, but you must understand that some of the rest of us are pressed for time?  ;)

I hardly ever have time to pick up the guitar, not that I do so professionally or anything.  However it's a bit of soul-cleansing that I could really use most days.

I used to drink a lot of Flying Fish - I was an ESB guy but it's been a while since I had one.  Since I moved out of Camden County they're not "my local" anymore.

I work with a guy who lives in Lambertville and he said they have disavowed River Horse since it moved oot of Lambertville to your neck of the woods. :D

I used to love Stoudt's ESB until I got a bad batch. :(  Emailed them aboot it and they never responded. :(

45 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I work with a guy who lives in Lambertville and he said they have disavowed River Horse since it moved oot of Lambertville to your neck of the woods. :D

Too bad for him. They are better than ever, i think.