Speaking of vegetables....

Zephyr

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Is there any vegetable that is even in the same class as fennel when it comes to eating raw?  Sliced thin with a mandolin, crispy, crunchy..., and how can you not love a veggie that tastes like black licorice?

This is an odd thread but I'm following orders. I still think you'd have more success with a Megan thread.    ?

• Whatever 1

56 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Is there any vegetable that is even in the same class as fennel when it comes to eating raw?  Sliced thin with a mandolin, crispy, crunchy..., and how can you not love a veggie that tastes like black licorice?

Fennel does stand alone although cucumber in a glass of Hendricks and soda is equally refreshing. :)  

• Heart 2
  • Whatever 1

All I know is it is NOT the same if you make Martha Stewart's Savory Fall Stew without fennel!  I've substituted for the pearl onions, etc. - but NEVER substitute for the fennel if you make this excellent dish:

Savory Fall Stew – Mick’s Working Version, May 2009

Serves 4.   Try it, you’ll like it! -Mickey.

Here’s the original recipe’s webpage:

www.marthastewart.com/337234/savory-fall-stew

2005420750_SavoryFallStew.jpg.83cfe8d245700226515df8ce49b32f4f.jpg

You can make this a vegetarian dish simply by omitting the sausage and the first step in the instructions. Once the vegetables are cleaned and cut, this stew is easy to make: Everything just simmers on the stove. The stew may be prepared two days ahead and refrigerated. Serve with Baked Sage and Saffron Risotto or plain white rice.

· 2 tablespoons olive oil [or any cooking oil]

· 12 ounces hot [mild is fine] Italian sausage cut into small chunks [I had a 1.2 lb package and used it all and it seemed a just little heavy on the sausage – 12 oz. is fine.]

· 1 avg. to large size sweet onion cut in inch long strips.

· 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes [I used a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes]

· 3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat [I dissolved 3 chicken bouillon cubes in 3 cups of boiling water]

· 1 small bundle fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano [I used 1 tsp each of (dried) McCormick thyme and oregano and a large pinch of dried rosemary needles.

· 1 2 1/2-pound butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks [I used 1 ½ lb and added about 1 pound of baby potatoes, pre-cooked for about 10 minutes to make sure they would soften in the stew, then cut into 1 inch cubes]

· 3 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces [I used 2 dozen baby carrots about 1 ½ inches long on average].

· 3 parsnips peeled and cut into 2-inch-long sticks

· 1 fennel bulb trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices [I didn’t know what to do with the “stems”, so I just cut off the dill-like leaves (which have a licorice-like flavor) and included the thicker ones].

· 12 Brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half

· 2 teaspoons salt [I left this out and salted it to taste at the table]

· 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper [I left this out and seasoned it to taste at the table]

· Optional: 8-12 oz. of veggies for soup or other small veggies (corn, peas, cut string beans, etc.)

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat [I used a 12” diameter sauté pan with sides about 3 inches high and it just barely held everything].  Add the sausage, and cook, stirring until it breaks into small pieces and is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.

2. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons rendered fat, and discard. Raise heat to medium high, add the sweet onions, and cook, stirring, until translucent or slightly golden, 5 to 6 minutes.

3. Add the stock/bouillon water, and herbs and add any root-type veggies (potatoes, carrots, parsnips) or others requiring long-cooking time.  Cook at a simmer, covered, about 20 min with occasional stirring or just until potatoes and carrots begin to soften.

4. Add the squash, fennel, Brussels sprouts, any other non-tiny veggies, and fresh tomatoes if you use them (if using canned tomatoes save until the next step to avoid turning them to mush), cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

5. Add canned tomatoes if you’re using them and any optional small veggies like “frozen veggies for soup” and cook, covered, about 5 minutes more stirring occasionally, until liquid thickens, 10 to 15 minutes more.

6. If liquid has become low, add more if desired – I like it close to the top of the veggies to add a little more soup broth.

7. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

• Heart 1