So I just deactivated my Facebook account...

Dottleshead

I opted out of everything.  I get no emails when people have /are attempting to reach me or mention me in that polluted space.  I posted a couple farewell notices and was going to give one more but decided it was too dramatic and just did it.  If I don't miss it after 3 months (or whatever) I'll just cut the cord and delete my account. My hope is that I become more active again and move towards becoming more social rather than sit in the security of my own sofa or chair.  Besides, instead of talking meaningless drivel with former asshats or acquaintances of former asshats, I'd much rather come in here and be an asshat to folks that I am unacquainted with.  I just need to get my ass off the couch.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I opted out of everything.  I get no emails when people have /are attempting to reach me or mention me in that polluted space.  I posted a couple farewell notices and was going to give one more but decided it was too dramatic and just did it.  If I don't miss it after 3 months (or whatever) I'll just cut the cord and delete my account. My hope is that I become more active again and move towards becoming more social rather than sit in the security of my own sofa or chair.  Besides, instead of talking meaningless drivel with former asshats or acquaintances of former asshats, I'd much rather come in here and be an asshat to folks in here that I am unacquainted with.  I just need to get my ass off the couch.

I am doing the same.  I was never a big Facebook user but am becoming less so.  Maybe soon to be not at all.  

Sell your couch.  That will get you active again. 

• Heart 1

I was on FB for 10 years, Latte, so it's nice to turn a new leaf. I'm tired of the high school scene.  In fact, at the risk of sounding/reading jerkish, I could give a shit about most of those people.  I'm happy to have purged them from my life to be honest. 

I already feel liberated.

• Heart 1

I'm the type of guy that has a hard time making a decision but when I do -- I typically make it and stick with it.  I hope that's the case here.  I recently had another friend do it and he says it's the best thing you can do for your mental health and he was an avid blogger and poster.  If I didn't believe that, I would be doing it. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm the type of guy that has a hard time making a decision but when I do -- I typically make it and stick with it.  I hope that's the case here.  I recently had another friend do it and he says it's the best thing you can do for your mental health and he was an avid blogger and poster.  If I didn't believe that, I would be doing it. 

Just look at the yields. If you get more positive than negative from FB, you did the wrong thing.  If more negative, you did the right thing.  When I left BF as my primary online site, it took a solid 6 months to totally let go. 

I suspect it means I'll be posting in here more often for awhile.  But the goal needs to be less posting period.  My weight is up and my energy down.  The free time I do have goes into places like these.  I should be using my time constructively with healthy relationships and spending my time doing constructive things.  Just my two cents.  Physical health deteriorating.  My mental health has been on the slide.  It's time to reclaim my health back.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I suspect it means I'll be posting in here more often for awhile.  But the goal needs to be less posting period.  My weight is up and my energy down.  The free time I do have goes into places like these.  I should be using my time constructively with healthy relationships and spending my time doing constructive things.  Just my two cents.  Physical health deteriorating.  My mental health has been on the slide.  It's time to reclaim my health back.

:(

Whereas I agree with the Facebook decision, you must sacrifice all for our entertainment

• Awesome 1

I rarely use Facebook but there are times when I need it.  For example, a relative's surprise 80th birthday party was announced on Facebook since the relative doesn't use it.  I also post photos or video links for family stuff to other family members.

Also, there are some websites I'm on where I have to login with Facebook.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

:dontknow: