Almost got doored

ChrisL

I rode the Mtn bike today but had to ride about 2 miles on the road to loop back to my car.  I'm riding down a long hill and there is a Prius stopped on a red curb in the bike lane.  It's also pretty busy on this road so as I approach I can't swing out too wide as there is a good chance I'll get nailed.  

Just as I get up on the car the door swings open and I barely miss the dude who jumped out to quickly place yard signs.  I stop and yell YOU GOTTA LOOK!!!!  Dude yells at me Fuck You!!!!

I  ride back up to him admittedly ready and willing to kick his ass. Dude says you gotta slow down, you were riding way too fast.   I set my bike down and say you are illigally parked, open your door without looking and this is somehow my fault for riding too fast?  Guy mumbles something, gets in his car and drives off. 

I thought the most appropriate part was he was placing signs for a local church.  Yeah park illegal open door without looking fuck you guy is also church guy.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Our pastor always told us things like "if you pray before you eat your meal in a restaurant you better make sure you leave your server at least a 20% tip" "If you wear a cross or a Jesus shirt or have a Jesus bumper sticker on your car, you best be on your best behavior all the time, people are watching you" 

Wise your pastor is.  I have nothing against the church, any church really.  Over the years I have seen numerous examples of church guy (usually guys) act like complete asses.  Not going to get into it tho as it's not a political rant.

If he's placing yard signs he needed to do so in a safe manner and act in a manner that reflects positively on in the organization. 

• Awesome 1

48 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...testify, Brother Ralph.  Praise Jesus !

Defensive driving/riding is cool. Just today I realized  how dangerous it is to ride us322 by my house as I passed a cyclist in my car. Very busy and narrow.  Wide and empty is much mo better, but still no guarantee of not being mowed down. 

I am surrounded by low traffic country roads. The problem is that they are narrow with no shoulder and  the traffic that is on them is likely to not be paying close attention to driving, and there is a good chance that they are driving a big truck with the mirrors extended way the hell out.

After hearing the wind whistle of one of those mirrors, getting smacked in the back of the head by one became a phobia of mine. 

54 minutes ago, Further said:

I am surrounded by low traffic country roads. The problem is that they are narrow with no shoulder and  the traffic that is on them is likely to not be paying close attention to driving, and there is a good chance that they are driving a big truck with the mirrors extended way the hell out.

After hearing the wind whistle of one of those mirrors, getting smacked in the back of the head by one became a phobia of mine. 

...this is exactly why I have never ridden the circuit around Lake Tahoe with my Brother in law.  Every now and then, one of those way long mirrors on a motor home sends someone to the hospital.

15 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Our pastor always told us things like "if you pray before you eat your meal in a restaurant you better make sure you leave your server at least a 20% tip" "If you wear a cross or a Jesus shirt or have a Jesus bumper sticker on your car, you best be on your best behavior all the time, people are watching you" 

This is great advice!  When folks make all sorts of fantastical unsubstantiated claims, you need to be exemplary in every other aspect of life so as not to be assumed insane. 

Plus, if you claim to do god’s work, you ruin it by being an asshole. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, BR46 said:

Out for a bicycle ride and we had a Wisconsin redneck screaming at us about how we should not be riding on the road and when he threatened to kick my ass I looked at Wo46 and said... you want to handle this your the one with a black belt. 

She doesn't have a black belt but the look on his face was funny than he yelled something about me not being a man. 

Well, are you?

1 hour ago, Further said:

I once had a pickup truck mirror brush the sleeve of my t-shirt while riding.

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I rode the Mtn bike today but had to ride about 2 miles on the road to loop back to my car.  I'm riding down a long hill and there is a Prius stopped on a red curb in the bike lane.  It's also pretty busy on this road so as I approach I can't swing out too wide as there is a good chance I'll get nailed.  

Just as I get up on the car the door swings open and I barely miss the dude who jumped out to quickly place yard signs.  I stop and yell YOU GOTTA LOOK!!!!  Dude yells at me Fuck You!!!!

I  ride back up to him admittedly ready and willing to kick his ass. Dude says you gotta slow down, you were riding way too fast.   I set my bike down and say you are illigally parked, open your door without looking and this is somehow my fault for riding too fast?  Guy mumbles something, gets in his car and drives off. 

I thought the most appropriate part was he was placing signs for a local church.  Yeah park illegal open door without looking fuck you guy is also church guy.

Sounds right.  Just a bunch of righteous ass sitting pew heads.  You could have always urinated on the signs and dropped them off in the main entry way to the church.

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...this is exactly why I have never ridden the circuit around Lake Tahoe with my Brother in law.  Every now and then, one of those way long mirrors on a motor home sends someone to the hospital.

I have secretly wanted to do this -- but there just seems to be way too many recreationalists in campers, trucks, and motorhomes that are gawking at the scenery.