Sure glad I listened to that little inner voice.

Rattlecan

About 25 years ago, my then (now ex) wife and I made the acquaintance of another couple. We met while attending classes for prospective foster parents. We were a one child couple with diminishing prospects of adding to our family, and the other couple was childless, unable to conceive.

We began seeing the other couple socially, and struck up a friendship.

He was a salesman for a large prefabricated home company, but you only had to spend five minutes with him to realize his ambitions were on a much grander scale.

He talked endlessly about the world of finance, and how the world was his oyster, and anyone who followed him would become rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Not long after that, he formed a financial services company and began perusing the dream.

I became a client, purchased a life insurance policy and some safe investments, but he was always angling for me to buy into his scheme that he was convinced would make us all vastly wealthy. I wasn't too sophisticated in my understanding of finances, but that little inner voice, or gut feeling if you like, told me to stay the hell clear.

Well, to cut a long story short, a number of years ago, he was arrested and charged with a long list of serious fraud charges. The trial process was very long and drawn out, resulting in a guilty verdict,and finally wrapped up this past week with his sentencing. Sure glad I listened to that little voice and didn't become another victim.

Here's the story.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8690008-the-two-faces-of-daniel-p-reeve/

• Heart 4

Yay!  I am so glad this gentleman found a way to live his dream for even a little while, of pretending to be fabulously wealthy.  You sir, however, attempted to prevent him from using gold-leaf toilet paper, and consider you a contemptible human being.  I bet that because of you, he had to use $50 bills to light his cigars instead of the more luxurious $100 bills, you monster!

• Whatever 1

40 minutes ago, donkpow said:

My little voice tells me to get in and cash out before the crash.

Good point, but you would have missed out on a lot of upside had you done that up until now.  What a PITA!  This is no way for civilized people to live, their future balanced on the luck of the dice.  Which are most likely loaded. :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

59 minutes ago, Bag of Dickbags said:

Yay!  I am so glad this gentleman found a way to live his dream for even a little while, of pretending to be fabulously wealthy.  You sir, however, attempted to prevent him from using gold-leaf toilet paper, and consider you a contemptible human being.  I bet that because of you, he had to use $50 bills to light his cigars instead of the more luxurious $100 bills, you monster!

Well, now he can spend the next 20 years or so using Chuck Norris toilet paper. You know, rough and tough and don't take shit off anybody.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Great story!  I feel the same way about all the crap Larry King pitches on TV. I just switched TV channels and his latest "save your credit and get an instant tool to save lots of money" "Special Report" is on both channels. Infomercials that try to trick you into believing a real interview is going on - not a scripted sales pitch - are such obvious con-job tactics I never trust any of them.

I think it all falls under the old wisdom of "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

• Heart 1