Went to one of those high priced stores

BR46

37 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I wanted to buy it just to see if was worth the 490 dollars more than the Jim Beam that I buy. 

It isn't.

There was this dirt cheap rum a friend used to get back in the day. I couldn't imagine why, it gave you hangovers from hell. Now it sells for $50 a bottle with a pretty label. I imagine it doesn't have as many hangover inducing contaminants now.

For that kind of money it should be aged in oak for a century.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, late said:

It isn't.

There was this dirt cheap rum a friend used to get back in the day. I couldn't imagine why, it gave you hangovers from hell. Now it sells for $50 a bottle with a pretty label. I imagine it doesn't have as many hangover inducing contaminants now.

For that kind of money it should be aged in oak for a century.

The American Club is next door to the store and some of the people probably look at the price and say for that price it's got to be good. 

At the American Club the cheapest priced room is $500 a night. 

Scotch.  12 year age is much better than 6.  And 18 is much smoother and more flavorful than the 12 but the price goes up exponentially.  After that, you're into insane amounts of cash.  Totally not worth it. in my view  I had a special shot of McCallum's something or another for $50 -- and the 18 year aged stuff for $10 a shot was way better.  Most of that high end crap is to stroke the stupid egos trying to separate themselves from the apes.  

13 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We've got some local snobs-only brews in Maryland, too:

135184571_LostPythonAle.JPG.2dfeb45a61e51ca137822e5f0b0e0b16.JPG135120358_SorryChickybest.thumb.jpg.70a7d03de47881a0cea933bc04e59584.jpg

The PNW maybe the snobbiest of the beer folks around.  We have an abundance of micro-brews and many probably aren't worth the money.  But -- ahem -- many of them are.  I suppose it works the same way in whiskeys but I'll be honest and tell you some of those pricey micros are probably worth it. If you plan on drinking a lot on any given night, then I can say the extra cost for this reason alone is definitely worth it as it works it's way out the other end.

My bro in law took a Scottish vacation last year, he stayed in many castles and visited many distilleries. He tried shots that past $100.00 US. He spoke of complexities & peat and had a fantastic vacation. He shared with me some of the bottles he brought, I'm not a Scotch drinker but it did taste pretty good.

I didn't ask what the bottles had cost, but he's a generous guy and he was pouring short shots....  

5 minutes ago, Further said:

My bro in law took a Scottish vacation last year, he stayed in many castles and visited many distilleries. He tried shots that past $100.00 US. He spoke of complexities & peat and had a fantastic vacation. He shared with me some of the bottles he brought, I'm not a Scotch drinker but it did taste pretty good.

I didn't ask what the bottles had cost, but he's a generous guy and he was pouring short shots....  

As a whiskey drinker, I seldom drank it.  And then I tried the higher end Scotches.  I don't regret not drinking it because it probably would have caused bigger problems -- but I do regret not discovering Scotch when I was younger.