Tech gurus to the white courtesy iPhone - new iPhone SE?

Ralphie

Daughter #2 and I need new phones pretty bad.  We are both cheap and like the small phones, so the SE sounds good.  But the original SE is a 2016 design, basically a smaller 6, and there is rumour of a new updated model possibly out in September or so?  Keep waiting? The good news is the price was lowered $50 to $350 I think and the gigs upped from a paltry 16 to a decent 32.

I love my iPhone 7 but I’m also cheap. If I had to buy my own phone what would I buy?   It’s nice to be able to get and receive calls from anywhere but do I actually get or make calls from anywhere? Not very often. I like being able to take lots of pictures and post them from out in the middle of the lake. I really don’t need to do that. I guess the only way I’ll find out how cheap I really am is if I outlive my wife. She keeps me in phones and doesn’t wait unit there is a problem to do it.

Are you sold on iPhone?  You might want to check the Sumsung Galaxys. I got a 5" Galaxy S7 for $429 in March, my first expensive (more than $150) smartphone.  I got it mostly for the camera and the 32 GB built-in & up to 256 GB SD Card (I got a $128 GB card for $42.39 - worth it so I don't worry about memory for pictures and video on vacation).  I really like the camera for the 4032 x 3024 pixel picture quality, especially in dim light. Here's a 576x590 pixel crop of an original 3024x4032 photo (both shown here in reduced sized). You can even see a lack-of-shaving stubble on my chin!

30793183_MickCloseUp.JPG.0838e97645f49d02b987ffe9dd5ed108.JPG1727104790_20180414_170541667x500p.jpg.adfabfe95d911e574edee74d29b8634b.jpg

It does a good job on closeups, too:

Adam05a.jpg.a2e0582edd156f8c9d97f25020c010d0.jpg

This is a vidcap of a 1920x1080 about 5x zoom video of my nephew Adam's end-of-school-year band concert: he's the blond kid in the back row about 1/3 of the way from the left.  The camera auto-lightened the video significantly: the two kids on the left appeared darker in real-life than the video shows and Adam and the blonde girl next to him are almost glowing in the vidcap while they were not in real-life. The video cam does NOT do as good a job zooming as my 2"x2"x4" camcorder, but the difference probably isn't enough for me to need the bigger unit often if at all anymore.

20180508_191613.thumb.jpg.a86a32586136f53545a5ef9da0f1759a.jpg

I never pay more than $250 for a phone.  I could give a shit about all the new bells and whistles.  When it comes right down to it, I sometimes make/receive calls.  I usually SMS text, and every now and then look up something on the web when traveling to some destination.  That's it.  I'm not playing music on there.  I'm not watching TV on there.  I'm checking out reviews of some restaurant or catching some sports score.  I don't need to spend a thousand dollars for that.  Just my 2 cents.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 active.  Got it in 2015.  It does all the stuff I need a phone to do.  It is tough.  I can drop it in water.  I can drop it on the floor.  I like it.  I do not love it.  It has charging port issues so I have to charge it on a pad.  If that feature ever fails, I will no longer like it.  

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 active.  Got it in 2015.  It does all the stuff I need a phone to do.  It is tough.  I can drop it in water.  I can drop it on the floor.  I like it.  I do not love it.  It has charging port issues so I have to charge it on a pad.  If that feature ever fails, I will no longer like it.  

Buy a charger port online.  Watch a youTube video on replacement.  Takes about 15 minutes.  :)