Your agenda this week?

petitepedal

Besides a U. of MD program 2-hour class I have Monday and watching my nephew Wednesday, I'm getting ready to go on a fishing/hiking/whatever vacation that begins Saturday at Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland.

Some of us have volunteered to cook one of the seven nights and I'm doing baked chicken pieces with homemade Mississippi BBQ Sauce, Walmart's Mac & Cheese and Aldi's Green Beans.  There are 14-16 of us (a couple may drop in for a couple days).  I'm going to bring everything except the chicken which I'll get at the Super Walmart I'm told is nearby our cabin. That way if there are preferences for white meat or someone wants pork chops instead I can adapt to it.

Tomorrow is somewhat open. I have to drive twenty miles to get something for my wife and then the rest of the day is mine. Probably kayak/fish but I will consider a bike ride in the morning. Tuesday I'm taking a married couple to Pittsburgh to start their big adventure. The GAP looks decent but the C&O looks difficult, they will have a trip to remember I'm sure. When I get back from Pittsburgh I'm picking up SIL and her granddaughter from MIL's and bringing them back to our house for a few days. Sunday I'm supposed to drive SIL down as far as Berkley Springs (nine hours of driving and $40 in tolls round trip) her husband is going to meet me there and take them the rest of the way.

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Tomorrow is somewhat open. I have to drive twenty miles to get something for my wife and then the rest of the day is mine. Probably kayak/fish but I will consider a bike ride in the morning. Tuesday I'm taking a married couple to Pittsburgh to start their big adventure. The GAP looks decent but the C&O looks difficult, they will have a trip to remember I'm sure. When I get back from Pittsburgh I'm picking up SIL and her granddaughter from MIL's and bringing them back to our house for a few days. Sunday I'm supposed to drive SIL down as far as Berkley Springs (nine hours of driving and $40 in tolls round trip) her husband is going to meet me there and take them the rest of the way.

The Paw Paw tunnel is still closed, last I heard.

17 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

WTF has happened to the C&O that it is in bad shape this year?  Just the rain??? A couple years I rode the C&O on my Roubaix from Brunswick to DC, and there were puddles and ruts, but nothing horrible. With some dryer weather mixed in lately, is it the farther west parts at issue?  Maybe Cumberland to Paw Paw?

Looking back on that earlier ride, I gotta chuckle at the difference between the two portions (off and on the C&O):

1381638560_CO2.thumb.JPG.385ad8e99828a25a3b7b2e5cb8d76e30.JPG

Tom

The rains flooded the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers bad enough that the canal was under water at Harper's Ferry, Brunswick, Point of Rocks, etc. I posted pics from a few weeks ago that showed large trees down, trail washout at Harper's Ferry and the flooded rivers. It was and is pretty bad. I will try to find the link to those.

8 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

The rains flooded the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers bad enough that the canal was under water at Harper's Ferry, Brunswick, Point of Rocks, etc. I posted pics from a few weeks ago that showed large trees down, trail washout at Harper's Ferry and the flooded rivers. It was and is pretty bad. I will try to find the link to those. 

WOW!  I was likely on vacation when you posted the pics.  Hope it is a priority to get it fixed ASAP.

Tom

43 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

There are recent photos of people at the Paw Paw tunnel online. That will be the least of their worries. Up near Pittsburgh there is a section just closed this past weekend because of a mudslide and trees down and the bridge that is washed out on the C&O about 50 miles from DC that doesn’t have a good detour.

Take my FIL to half a dozen appointments,  take my wife to a couple of appointments,  take the remaining dog to a vet appointment,  take myself to a doctor's appointment,  do some cooking and freeze it for our trip next month. 

20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There are recent photos of people at the Paw Paw tunnel online. That will be the least of their worries. Up near Pittsburgh there is a section just closed this past weekend because of a mudslide and trees down and the bridge that is washed out on the C&O about 50 miles from DC that doesn’t have a good detour. 

Yeah - definitely a few closures and detours listed here.

Tom

Back to work after a week's vacation.

Watching the 4 YO twins with the help of their father plus my son's dog. (WoJSTL and the boys' mom took the 9 MO baby with them to visit my father-in-law who isn't doing too good).

Friday going to see Jethro Tull. Tull was my first big concert back in 1971.

Saturday going to see Singing In The Rain at the Muny Theater.

Some bike rides intermixed in there somewhere. 

My agenda changed over the last 48 hours as my chromebook has failed to turn on 4 different times.  Additionally the display page loads one half slightly before the other and I have to exit too often to reset the mouse wheel scroll when it locks up.  Toshiba seems to be out of the Chromebook business so I'm changing over to Acer for a new 15" unit.  Time to get all my passwords in line

34 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I dropped off that couple that’s doing the DC trip this morning. By the time they were ready to go it was almost noon. They plan on staying in Connellsville tonight, good luck with that. It will be interesting to see how they do, they are noobs.

They will learn. Much.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I dropped off that couple that’s doing the DC trip this morning. By the time they were ready to go it was almost noon. They plan on staying in Connellsville tonight, good luck with that. It will be interesting to see how they do, they are noobs.

60 miles? At maybe 10 mph?  Six hours in the saddle, and daylight until 8:30.  They should be fine, but day 2 will be much harder.  Actual elevation gains, aches from the first day, other issues make the first day seem so easy. 

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

60 miles? At maybe 10 mph?  Six hours in the saddle, and daylight until 8:30.  They should be fine, but day 2 will be much harder.  Actual elevation gains, aches from the first day, other issues make the first day seem so easy. 

Tom

They posted from Rock Bottom Restaurant and brewery in Homestead. They had their trail map spread out on the table and a couple beers next to it, lol. I’m guessing they will be lucky to make Cedar Creek campground.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They posted from Rock Bottom Restaurant and brewery in Homestead. They had their trail map spread out on the table and a couple beers next to it, lol. I’m guessing they will be lucky to make Cedar Creek campground. 

Nothing like a TOUGH 8 miles to make you thirsty and ready to call it a day. Job well done :D

Tom

• Awesome 1