Hey Latte -- should I buy that Skyrim thing?

Dottleshead

I have been reading the reviews.  I'm a little bit put off by the upgrades in Witcher 3 that make me think this game will be out dated.  But for $40 and several hundred hours of game play -- I'm sure it's worth it.... providing I'm willing to give up hundreds of hours of my life to play an RPG that will have little impact on my life but escaping reality.  Or this forum.  Whatever comes.

If you want a time sink..........................

Image result for civilization v

There are editions available with all the updates now.  V has better playability than VI which is graphics heavy but less fun.  Not really roll playing or real time.  It's a computerized version of the old table top board games.  Call it Risk meets Sim City.  You control everything, economics, treaties, war, science, production, exploration, everything.  Screw up any one of them too badly and you lose.

• Heart 1

That may be a good alternative!  My problem is my entry into real RPG games was with Wtcher 3 and most people feel it is an improvement on Skyrim.  But I also understand Late's point of view about having trouble getting into it after playing Skyrim so long.  I'm pretty sure it's all about one's entry into the gaming world.  So I am debating whether I want to invest in older tech games and lose 200+ hours or not.  I'm sorta thinking I will but -- ugh -- tough to say.  I want to but I don't want to, you know?

Looks like Civilization 5 has good reviews.

16 minutes ago, Dottles said:

That may be a good alternative!  My problem is my entry into real RPG games was with Wtcher 3 and most people feel it is an improvement on Skyrim.  But I also understand Late's point of view about having trouble getting into it after playing Skyrim so long.  I'm pretty sure it's all about one's entry into the gaming world.  So I am debating whether I want to invest in older tech games and lose 200+ hours or not.  I'm sorta thinking I will but -- ugh -- tough to say.  I want to but I don't want to, you know?

Looks like Civilization 5 has good reviews.

VI and Beyond Earth may have good reviews as well but beware.  They appeal to the gamers who want to see movie quality graphics.  When I buy your city and move you out I don't want to be bothered with watching you cry.  I want to see my bank account and power grow.

It's a question of what you like. I didn't like the controls on Witcher, where you hold until you want to strike. Ports from the console world often piss me off. As you may have gathered, it's not hard to get there.

I love Skyrim, same as a zillion others. But I despise GTA. I don't want to be a pretend criminal. I used to play building games like Civ, got tired of the building part, not the bashing. I buy about 10 games for every one I actually play. That's why I wait until I can get them about half off.

I can say there is nothing quite like Skyrim. It's vast, it's a place I like to be. Frankly, what I want most is a bigger, badder Skyrim with better graphics. In VR.

4 minutes ago, late said:

It's a question of what you like. I didn't like the controls on Witcher, where you hold until you want to strike. Ports from the console world often piss me off. As you may have gathered, it's not hard to get there.

I love Skyrim, same as a zillion others. But I despise GTA. I don't want to be a pretend criminal. I used to play building games like Civ, got tired of the building part, not the bashing. I buy about 10 games for every one I actually play. That's why I wait until I can get them about half off.

I can say there is nothing quite like Skyrim. It's vast, it's a place I like to be. Frankly, what I want most is a bigger, badder Skyrim with better graphics. In VR.

Yeah, you play PC versions.  On PS4, everything is easy.  The witcher game is incredibly vast and open.  And it's huge.  Character development and quests are great.  I bought a downloadable package and quit playing it because I had already sunken in over 200+ hours into it and it had lost it's luster.  When I divide $60/200 I get $.30.  I'll take that price ratio per hour of entertainment any day.

This is my hesitation to buy skyrim.  Not the good price per entertainment ratio (I can get it for $40 so it's even a better value) but that it's too good.  I really don't want to get drawn into another 200+ hours.

4 hours ago, late said:

Give it a chance, you'll like it.

It's very Witcher3-ish.  Nice scenery but the fighting scenes are a little clunky, dorkey.  I mean I know dork when I see it.  And the opening story scene where the dude gets his head chopped off -- is a little fucked up.  But yes -- I am into it now.  Still learning the game but it's coming.  Not a big fan of the lame control layout though.  For example, right in the middle of combat I have to hit a series of 3 or 4 buttons to consume a mild health potion.  The modern games now have the quick speed buttons to swap out favorite weapons, etc. and a quick button to look at the map or drink a favorite poition.  Maybe it's there and I just don't see it -- but that says a lot about the user experience (so far I'm not a fan).  But the actual wandering and game play is great.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

It's very Witcher3-ish.  Nice scenery but the fighting scenes are a little clunky, dorkey.  I mean I know dork when I see it.  And the opening story scene where the dude gets his head chopped off -- is a little fucked up.  But yes -- I am into it now.  Still learning the game but it's coming.  Not a big fan of the lame control layout though.  For example, right in the middle of combat I have to hit a series of 3 or 4 buttons to consume a mild health potion.  The modern games now have the quick speed buttons to swap out favorite weapons, etc. and a quick button to look at the map or drink a favorite poition.  Maybe it's there and I just don't see it -- but that says a lot about the user experience (so far I'm not a fan).  But the actual wandering and game play is great.

Random Alternate Start avoids the lengthy cut scene, and drops you somewhere randomly. Usually somewhere you have to sneak or   run far enough away to Fast Travel.

There are mods to change how accessing your supplies works. I haven't used them, but you will want to google or Youtube best Skyrim mods, and that will come up.

If you find something better, let me know. It is clunky, but it's the way everything used to be, so I am used to it.

Yeah, make sure you catch the double moons at night.

I have already decided I will not be using mods.  Going old school. I wish Bethesda would have made some small changes like in their pin wheel to make this whole experience seamless because the actual game play captures that dungeons and dragons feeling.  It's good from what I can tell.  Graphic pretty decent and storyline good too.  It's just old technology.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I have already decided I will not be using mods.  Going old school. I wish Bethesda would have made some small changes like in their pin wheel to make this whole experience seamless because the actual game play captures that dungeons and dragons feeling.  It's good from what I can tell.  Graphic pretty decent and storyline good too.  It's just old technology.

I understand.

There are a few I mentioned you will want before long. Random Alternate Start, Follower Trap Safety, Shut Up, Hemiskr come to mind.

OK, here's something to think about. I like the Lover Stone, it is by far the best Stone. But the Steed Stone lets you carry more weight. And if you are playing the vanilla game, that's a big help. First few months playing the game, that was what I used. More loot = more money. Just wait until your skill level gets up there, training up one skill level can cost 3,000 pieces of gold.

I routinely carry 100K pieces of gold, more or less, which ought to weigh about as much as a car.

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

I am into it. Dropped into the dungeons and got the gold claw. Just paid off some guard. There were a bunch of them and I could have been trapped for a long time fighting my way out. Upgraded to all steel weapons. Need better armour though.

You can level Smithing by making a ton of iron daggers.

Not sure if this is available for the PS4, but I usually use Mavari armour.

38386-3-1373929784.jpg

You don't need to eat or sleep (in the game). I've played a number of games without ever sleeping, and there is just no point to eating unless whatever it is adds health points.

There is an improved map mod for PS4 that is quite handy.

There are a number of user generated missions. Lost a bunch when I changed computers, but found Volundr. It's quite good, but quite tough. Falskaar is good, but the voice acting is a bit much.

Forgotten City is easily one of the best, tough to figure out the first time through. Make sure you bring waterbreathing potions, or a ring with the waterbreathing enchantment.

Ogmunds Tomb is pretty good, and you only need to be able to handle a Draugur Deathlord. Basically it's just a bunch of fights to rack up points, but still good.

Serena the vampire is the most fully developed character in the game. She's part of the Dawnguard missions. Speaking of which, in a few days (real world time), go to Dawnstar, and find the path up the mountain beyond the giants camp. That will take you past the entrance to the first Dawnguard mission, then keep going until you see a bunch of steps. Go up them so you can fast travel when you start that mission. Slowly work your way around the mountain to the right until you find a way to the top. There is loot, and a dragon below. It's easier fighting from the top, so just shoot an arrow at him, and he'll try and get you.

Another time saver is to start at Windhelm and follow the road south. Run past Kynesgrove so you can get back quick later. Run past the giants and look for steps on the left, that will take you to Mzulft. That's another mission for later. If you follow the contour of the land, you will come to a pond, or an Imperial camp next to the pond. Go into the cave at the back of the pond. There is a musical instrument in there that will get you some skill points when you join the Bards College. After you do that, you need to go to Dead Mans Respite, and get the book King Olaf's Verse. You need that to join the college, you can then give the other instrument to the old bat, and get skill points from her.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Hmmm.... That was fast.

For some, it is going to be a terrific game. They went to great lengths to give you a taste of what psychosis is like. The graphics are good, the fighting is a bit console-y but not repellantly so. It gets great reviews.

You're a teenage girl, about 15, trying to rescue your dead brother from Nordic hell. At the moment I am supposed to defeat 2 gods before I can get into hell. I imagine the fighting is going to get a lot more console-y. You know, where 2 guys beat each other enough to kill a dozen strong men, and then keep fighting.

I might give Witcher another try. The fighting in that was console-y if I remember right. I didn't play it much, the control layout really pissed me off. I'd have to try and turn into the usual WASD layout. I imagine doing console fighting with the old school keyboard layout could require some serious finger yoga.

Another 4 hours last night.  Errr... make that another 4 a.m. beddyboo time.  Like usual, I never usually follow the main storyline linearly.  I like to explore on my own.  Trying to get my magic degree at the university but I need a Fear spell.  So I side tripped down for some ice cave demanding the secret code to get in.  Jerks.  I'm getting tired of jostling through manuals looking for the secret sauce.

Well it's a wanderlust of dungeons, no dragons yet, orcs, clerics, druids, skeletons, vampires, werewolves, curses, spells, gold pieces, silver necklaces, battle axes, two handed swords, potions, alchemy, enchantments, monarchies, saber tooth tigers, torches, soldiers, castles, towers, helmets, ladies, and bar hags. Oh and time.  Lot's of time.

I always do double war axes. But you go there after you get the Dual Flurry skill point. If you do the second enchantment at level 50 mod, you can then have 4 weapons enchantments at once. I usually put a Chaos Damage on each, and suck health on one and Stamina Damage on the other.

When you get through your heavy period, you'll want to work the left side of the Smithing tree (light armor).

Well, I'm going two handed sword and light armor.  I'm only at level 10 and may not work later but right now it's beautiful.  Nimble.  Quick. Deal damage.  i put some poison on there and whamo!  But I'm interested at this point to really getting my magic down.  I faced some bad ass clerics and wizards and I want to get out of the hacking business and into the thinking man's game.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well, I'm going two handed sword and light armor.  I'm only at level 10 and may not work later but right now it's beautiful.  Nimble.  Quick. Deal damage.  i put some poison on there and whamo!  But I'm interested at this point to really getting my magic down.  I faced some bad ass clerics and wizards and I want to get out of the hacking business and into the thinking man's game.

I found magic to be really hard. Watch some Youtubes about it, maybe a guide or two.

I'd suggest getting a sword wielding follower to distract the bad guys while you try to zap them with magic.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=QV42W7_iCsLAsQX00JLwCg&q=skyrim+playing+as+mage&oq=skyrim+playing+as+mage&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.1854.8595.0.9248.22.18.0.4.4.0.125.1802.9j9.18.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.22.1830...0i131k1j0i22i30k1.0.6q_HlcnWvA8

The mage skill I find most useful is Conjuration.

3 minutes ago, late said:

The mage skill I find most useful is Conjuration.

That's the weakness of the game and others like it really.  The want to give you a plethora of characteristics you can build up but in the end it still comes down to some degree of health, armor, and weapons. But the magic scene at the tower where I was zapped, immobile, and being tossed around frantically like a beach ball was very cool.  One of the better gaming experiences I've had.  I want to do that.

I have too many mods on my vanilla Skyrim. I unsubscribed to the most egregious one, but didn't think to unclick it in the mod file. So I started a new game and it was still there.

I had said I would never play a completely unmodified Skyrim again. After reading Dottles, I decided to give the Special Edition another try. This is my first time with the new computer. There are thousands of mods for it, at Nexus, which I can't seem to figure out how to use.

My old Skyrim has several mods that improve the graphics, but it's nowhere near as good as the SE. And it's been fun dusting off the old memories about starting a vanilla game. There's a few easy places you can go at the beginning to get a good start before you start the first mission.

So I've been enjoying it, but I really need to figure out how to use Nexus.

• Heart 1