Kitchen gadgets that actually work.

Wilbur

26 minutes ago, dennis said:

A knife.

I'm not a kitchen gadget person. Just looked through my drawer of utensils and the most exotic thing in there is a cork screw.

My kitchen has a dishwasher, but I have never used it. I do own a toaster.

oyama_chefs_knife.jpg

Everything I posted is roughly a $10 item and were acquired for my mother and wife as they both aged and developed various forms of arthritis.  All have made huge differences in their independence in the kitchen.  I too am a huge proponent of high quality knives as they are essential to pleasurable cooking. 

2 hours ago, dennis said:

A knife.

I'm not a kitchen gadget person. Just looked through my drawer of utensils and the most exotic thing in there is a cork screw.

My kitchen has a dishwasher, but I have never used it. I do own a toaster.

oyama_chefs_knife.jpg

This.  I have a couple of good knives I use daily, a good peeler, wooden spoons of different shape & size, various spatulas and tongs.  I actually have 3 different size tongs that get regular use.  No gadgets tho.

• Heart 2

On 6/24/2018 at 7:28 PM, maddmaxx said:

You will of course have your best recipes loaded and running when you need them.  If you're smart, shopping lists and cabinet inventory lists too.CTA Digital 2-in-1 Kitchen Mount Stand for iPad® Air and iPad® Mini

A laptop works better as my entire recipe book is in an Access database, which also has a weekly meal planner that then generates my grocery shopping list.  So we don't end up with a pantry full of "what the hell is this in for?"

I used to have all kinds of gadgets I used, then I learned to cook and I found the better I got, the less gadgets I used because they were almost always more of a hassle.  By the time I got them dug out and set up, I could've just grabbed a good knife and been done.  And the knife takes up far less room in the dishwasher.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Indy said:

I used to have all kinds of gadgets I used, then I learned to cook and I found the better I got, the less gadgets I used because they were almost always more of a hassle.  By the time I got them dug out and set up, I could've just grabbed a good knife and been done.  And the knife takes up far less room in the dishwasher.

You would be surprised how many talented professional chefs use kitchen gadgets.   To each their own. 

On June 26, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Indy said:

Knives should not go in the dishwasher. Knife abuse.

• Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Knives should not go in the dishwasher. Knife abuse.

The dishwasher/wife does dishes.  I'm not about to argue with her about how she cleans stuff, especially knives.