By show of hands, how many of you like the Chrsyler 300?

jsharr

Not really a fan of Chrysler products but admittedly I've completely dismissed any of their cars the past 20 years and could be overlooking a good car.  

Does their reliability and build quality measure up to comparable cars from Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai & such?  

If you like is what really matters...

• Heart 1

Heisenberg – Chrysler 300 SRT8

When Walter White – the lame guy seen driving the equally lame Aztek in the former part of the series – purchases a Chrysler 300 SRT8, it marks the turning point of Walt's character as he puts on the big and bad persona of Heisenberg. Sick and tired of always being the nice guy, Walt ditches his old life and the Aztek and embraces his role as a kingpin with the Chrysler 300 SRT800.

The Cars of Breaking Bad - And what they symbolise

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not really a fan of Chrysler products but admittedly I've completely dismissed any of their cars the past 20 years and could be overlooking a good car.  

Does their reliability and build quality measure up to comparable cars from Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai & such?  

If you like is what really matters...

image.png.3a4f308f60eb0ec6bf945ffd8e410bc5.png

• Heart 1

It is a little dated design. Originally known as the “pimp-mobile”. While I haven’t driven it, what I found notable/distracting was the high sill with narrow side windows. It seemed claustrophobic. A lot of room, but would lean towards the Taurus and Impala. Also Avalon and Maxima.

• Heart 1

An unfortunate series of Chrysler cars are what permanently drove my parents to Toyota.  Really just vile pieces of utter shit.   That is also how they treated their customers (us included).  Of course, that was 25 years ago, but every rental car I have had that was either a Chrysler or Chevy was godawful, too.  Ford rental cars seemed ok for some reason. 

Anyway, the visibility issues...those narrow little windows do not give the feeling of open road at all.   You don’t feel claustrophobic, but you do feel ‘closed in’. This is not good.  I would not buy any car with this “feature”. 

I don’t feel that this car is good enough for an actor of your acclaim, you need something befitting an Oscar-winner.  This car is for other people with no one to advise them. 

For decades, we rode the perceived Chrysler quality issues to the bank. We had excellent results with all seven of the ones we owned. And we bought them at discounted prices because, "someone's brother's uncle's parent's" had issues with them in the past.

My issue with Chrysler today is they no longer offer anything we need or want. I intend to drive my trouble free '04 Dakota to my grave. :nodhead:

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What is your current short list?  I wasn't too inspired by the first group, but maybe it has evolved? 

Tom

Ford Taurus SEL or above  and 300S or C and Nissan Pathfinder SV

That may change as my employer may be offering me a vehicle allowance.

Found some 2018 Silverados equipped as well as or better than the 2015 I was driving for $29,0000.00

Oh, and BTW, I got what I paid for the truck from the insurance settlement and a subsequent hail damage claim with my carrier. 

2 hours ago, team scooter said:

My issue with Chrysler today is they no longer offer anything we need or want. I intend to drive my trouble free '04 Dakota to my grave. :nodhead:

This. My ‘99 Dakota fits my needs perfectly. The Honda Ridgeline is the only one out there right now even close to what I would want for a replacement. 

Car-wise, nothing they are offering fits what I want. We have a 2005 Mazda6. Love the car, but it’s time to update before old age gremlins surface. The new 6 will probably be our choice. 

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Ford Taurus SEL or above  and 300S or C and Nissan Pathfinder SV

That may change as my employer may be offering me a vehicle allowance.

Found some 2018 Silverados equipped as well as or better than the 2015 I was driving for $29,0000.00

Oh, and BTW, I got what I paid for the truck from the insurance settlement and a subsequent hail damage claim with my carrier. 

If you are planning on towing stuff, then clearly the Silverado/F150/Ram route is best (and appropriate as a "replacement" for your truck).  If you are looking just for a "car", I'd go Accord and not worry.  For an SUV, I can't say I would ever pick a Nissan over a Toyota or Honda or Ford.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you are planning on towing stuff, then clearly the Silverado/F150/Ram route is best (and appropriate as a "replacement" for your truck).  If you are looking just for a "car", I'd go Accord and not worry.  For an SUV, I can't say I would ever pick a Nissan over a Toyota or Honda or Ford.

Tom

Go get a 6'4" 270 offensive lineman sized still growing teenager and try to fit him into the back seat of a Honda.    I take my human yardstick with me to sit in the back of every vehicle I test drive.  So far, only the Ford and Chrysler fit him.

Of course any full size crew cab works, but most compacts or extended cabs do not.

He fits in the Pathfinder so the Pathfinder is on the list

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Go get a 6'4" 270 offensive lineman sized still growing teenager and try to fit him into the back seat of a Honda.    I take my human yardstick with me to sit in the back of every vehicle I test drive.  So far, only the Ford and Chrysler fit him.

Of course any full size crew cab works, but most compacts or extended cabs do not.

MINIVAN!!!!

You're welcome :D

Tom

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

MINIVAN!!!!

You're welcome :D

Tom

You are dead to me.  

Funnily enough, Wade jokingly suggested a mini van last night.

If the employer comes through with a vehicle allowance, I will go buy another Silverado.

If not, I am pretty sure that a 300 or a Taurus is in the future for me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

This point was our yardstick for years.  Now that our kids are grown my wife finally said her next car will be "her" car and probably a 2 door & sporty.  My Subaru will get relegated to grocery duty.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

This point was our yardstick for years.  Now that our kids are grown my wife finally said her next car will be "her" car and probably a 2 door & sporty.  My Subaru will get relegated to grocery duty.

Once kids are gone I will get a smaller truck or something, but for now, I need something with some headroom inside.  

Just now, jsharr said:

Once kids are gone I will get a smaller truck or something, but for now, I need something with some headroom inside.  

They don't necessarily have to be "gone" my son is still at home but has his own car now. It may be sooner than you think!

Just now, ChrisL said:

They don't necessarily have to be "gone" my son is still at home but has his own car now. It may be sooner than you think!

He did start applying for jobs, but until he is out of the house, we are a family unit and I need to be able to transport us all, in something I both like and can afford.

• Heart 2

It's not a SUV.  It's towing capacity sucks.  Can't haul large item in it or lots of dogs and kids.  It's not a sports car either. 

So not sure what the point of one is.  If it can't tow or haul, it better be fast and handle well.

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

He did start applying for jobs, but until he is out of the house, we are a family unit and I need to be able to transport us all, in something I both like and can afford.

And after he leaves and can downsize, he comes back with wife and grandchild that suddenly have to fit a car seat in. So much for the great plan to downsize.

If it wasn’t for the wife not liking to back out besides a vehicle that won’t fit in the garage, would have a crew cab truck today. While previously owned a GMC, it would have been 3rd choice for towing due to transmission programming not being ideal, the new 8 speed appears to have resolved that issue and looks interesting. Keeping an eye on the new 2019 fuel management addition.

In the next year, highly likely will be truck/trailer combo, or small (less than 30’) Class A like a Thor Vegas/Axis and 4 down towable.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How do you feel about the current body style Ford Taurus SEL 

I like it, however, a co-worker has one and the front of the interior seems very cramped to me.  Nice ride though.  Were it not for my overall disdain for all things Ford, I'd consider one.

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Multiple motorcycles!!!!  Or a couple motorcycles with sidecars!!!!

Harley's may be cheap soon, so strike while the iron is hot.

Tom

• Heart 1