Suddenly, I'm The Asshole???? WTF???

Razors Edge

But seriously, there are laws (he was breaking one) and there is common sense (he lacked it).  And if the law is 45mph and below only, I see folks breaking that law on Fairfax County Parkway often as well (and that has a bike path along much of the northern section).  I think some of our club rides still roll along the FCP section headed towards Rt 7.

-----------------------------

CHANTILLY, Va. - A bicyclist riding in the middle of a major roadway during rush hour in Northern Virginia has sparked a safety debate on social media.

The user who posted the video to Reddit told FOX 5 it was shot near Dulles International Airport in Chantilly on Route 28 heading southbound just before the exit ramp to Route 50 on June 15.

The video appears to show a bicyclist riding in the fourth lane of the five-lane roadway as vehicles drive around him. The posted speed limit in the area is 55 miles per hour.

“Insane,” one Redditor commented.

Tom

• Sad 1

Common sense is far from common anymore.  And I've never bought into people's "right to ride on the road", mainly because some roads do traffic volume, speed or visibility, just are not safe to ride on, so no, cyclist don't belong on them.  There is one road, that would be a beautiful ride close to my old house, but it's hilly, windy and speed limit is to high for cyclist to be on given the conditions.  Easy road to drive, so not arguing with the speed limit, fun sports car road, but I've seen cyclist almost taken out numerous times as a car comes around a curve with slightly limited visibility only to have to jump on the brakes because of a cyclist crawling up a hill.

I've always said the best part of my ride is the part where I ride back into my driveway, so there are a lot of roads I avoid to try and better the chances of me making it to the best part of the ride.

• Heart 1

Some time back on the old Love Forum there was a discussion about cycling (this was within the law) on potentially unsafe roads.  

Said act was compared to walking through a bad part of town with a bundle of hundred dollar bills in your hand.  It's legal, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

The other analogy I have heard in my life is that there's no point to lying in a hospital bed insisting "but I had the right of way!"

I believe that just because I have the right to do something doesn't mean I have to do it.  But I guess I am a little on the meek side.  Other people will ride anywhere even if they don't have the right, if they think they should have the right.  Life's too short already.

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Some time back on the old Love Forum there was a discussion about cycling (this was within the law) on potentially unsafe roads.  

Said act was compared to walking through a bad part of town with a bundle of hundred dollar bills in your hand.  It's legal but it certainly is a good idea.

The other analogy I have heard in my life is that there's no point to lying in a hospital bed insisting "but I had the right of way!"

I believe that just because I have the right to do something doesn't mean I have to do it.  But I guess I am a little on the meek side.  Other people will ride anywhere even if they don't have the right, if they think they should have the right.  Life's too short already.

I feel the same.  My wife often wants to get in left turn pockets but I'd rather go straight through the intersection, stop on the other side and wait for the light to phase and complete the turn that way.  Cutting through 2 lanes of traffic to get to the turn pocket in SoCal traffic is asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I feel the same.  My wife often wants to get in left turn pockets but I'd rather go straight through the intersection, stop on the other side and wait for the light to phase and complete the turn that way.  Cutting through 2 lanes of traffic to get to the turn pocket in SoCal traffic is asking for trouble.

As they say, you can be right, or you can be dead right.  Why die proving a point? 

Tom