I think I'm going to stop

Square Wheels

Just now, Further said:

We had a class today on how to communicate, taught by the HR manager, who has been at the mill for about 3 years.

He told us that when he came to the mill he was shocked and frightened by the number of F-bombs he heard. 

Eventually he realized that nobody was pissed, they were just emphasizing.

He told us that a steel mill has different culture than a hospital.

Not much gets by that guy... 

______ the _____ing _____er!

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

swearing.  I almost never do.  It makes me feel inferior.  I am not inferior.

...a better life strategy would be to retain this valuable emotional outlet, but up your game in terms of vocabulary. 

momCheese  could help, or you could experiment with the use of words like "obsequious" and "sniveling" as adjectival modifiers.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

swearing.  I almost never do.  It makes me feel inferior.  I am not inferior.

Or you could fucking swear like a sailor and not take life so seriously, for fuck sakes. It seems to work nicely for my wife.  ??

Psssst. I am just kidding. You knew somebody was going to do it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...a better life strategy would be to retain this valuable emotional outlet, but up your game in terms of vocabulary. 

momCheese  could help, or you could experiment with the use of words like "obsequious" and "sniveling" as adjectival modifiers.

Ahhh, the Dr. Smith strategy!  :D

One of my family's favorite stories is when I was a toddler, playing in the room next to where my parents were.  I was hammering on my little Fisher Price work bench, with the little mallet and the little cylindrical pegs that fit into it.  They heard "[bang bang bang bang bang]..... aw, shit!"

I have very rarely heard my dad use the F word but he was really never shy about using any of the rest of them.

Nonetheless, as an adult I very rarely swear and I feel like I have a near perfect record of avoiding profanity around the kids.  

However, if I'm by myself and I'm either driving or working on some manner of home improvement project, all bets are off.  It's almost like I sub in a completely different brian in those settings.

image.png.200dc2ce5d5b8df7b4e110ff7e0f828a.png

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

You asshats trying to be on a higher moral ground need to start reading some effing psychology articles.  I've been swearing for years and I'm going to live a long dam time.  All of youz guyz are bastards.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201705/swearing-can-boost-strength-and-reduce-the-sensation-pain

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/hell-yes-the-7-best-reasons-swearing

https://psychcentral.com/blog/the-surprising-health-benefits-of-swearing/

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So that's your code speak for dick. I knew it. It's all about the 10 gallon hat. All the time. You guys are sick. Poor Texas. They need civility like the Oklahomans.

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

yep

jsharr, please disagree with me.  if you continue to agree, there will be nothing for us to talk about. 

Oh, I love Earl Thomas.  But I don't mind helping your CowToys out if it means getting solid draft choices.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

jsharr, please disagree with me.  if you continue to agree, there will be nothing for us to talk about. 

Oh, I love Earl Thomas.  But I don't mind helping your CowToys out if it means getting solid draft choices.

I did not agree with you.  Sorry you thought I did.

@Page Turner: This one goes out to you:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-swearing-a-sign-of-a-limited-vocabulary/.  Poor vocabulary my ass.   Or is it?

Oh it's all so confusing.  This morality.  These judgments.  This behavior.  These researchers.  Their conclusions.

Can't we all just get along??

• Awesome 1

49 minutes ago, Dottles said:

@Page Turner: This one goes out to you:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-swearing-a-sign-of-a-limited-vocabulary/.  Poor vocabulary my ass.   Or is it?

Oh it's all so confusing.  This morality.  These judgments.  This behavior.  These researchers.  Their conclusions.

Can't we all just get along??

Then, in what has to be one of the most awkward and hilarious experimental situations in the history of cognitive science, participants had to say, out loud to the experimenter, as many swear words as they could think of in one minute. This was the measure of taboo word fluency.

...I was invited to participate as an experimental subject, but it was quickly understood when I pegged the meter on the one minute test that including me in the final statistical results would skew the numbers so badly that it might invalidate the entire study.  So in the interests of science, I withdrew from the subject pool.  I'm all about fucking science, man.

• Haha 1

...and Norman Mailer was a pathetic, sniveling  man with a short person complex.

A man of little consequence and even less verbal perspicacity.

Calling Norman Mailer a tiny, insecure douche bag is an insult to every hard working, useful douche bag around the world.

18 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I was invited to participate as an experimental subject, but it was quickly understood when I pegged the meter on the one minute test that including me in the final statistical results would skew the numbers so badly that it might invalidate the entire study.  So in the interests of science, I withdrew from the subject pool.  I'm all about fucking science, man.

Bull shit!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Bull shit!

...that, my good man, is the basest of slanders. My credentials in the area are both beyond reproach and well documented in the real world.:angry:

I demand that you retract it immediately, or I shall be forced to unleash the power of Italian vulgarities upon your rather unimpressive person.  You are warned.

• Haha 1

I worked with an ex-Navy guy from Cleveland who liked to use the word "fucking" between an adjective and a noun or between names of things.  So, a road bike would be a "road fucking bike" or a person named John Doe would be "John Fucking Doe".  Eventually, he started using acronyms to make it more fun for people to guess what he meant, i.e., he would say, "JFD is coming down to the ship today".  Square Wheels would be "SFW".  RG would be "RFG".   :D 

• Awesome 1

Well, truth be told, I think there may be something to the vocab theory.  I've excelled in some areas but my vocab is a bit on the weaker side.  At least I know that.  Often I look for words and I can hear it my head but either can't recall the annunciation or the spelling.  Sometimes it 'sounds like' jumps in there.  And if I'm feeling especially intellectual I like to make words up like 'majestical'.  But darn tootin', I swear youz guyz, I don't cuss because my vocab is not my equal in analytics -- I just like it.  Cuss words when used appropriately can be sooooooooo expressive and you have to be on your toes because they have double and/or triple entendres.  Or more.   I guess I watched too much television when I was a kid.   It probably was too much Brady Bunch and Leave it to Beaver that impacted me in an unexpected way.  Rebellion was bound to happen.

2 hours ago, Page Turner said:

A sailor who then becomes a fireman must be a high ranking example for etymologists.  I would imagine that almost every story begins with "this ain't no shit"

• Awesome 1