The worst user experience feedback ever

Dottleshead

I can't think of a worse user experience than this message on the device.  Anybody want to take a gander as to what this means?  Is it a menu?  Is the PC getting loaded on letters?  Is the device asking you to load letter?  Letter envelopes?  Paper?  Post Alphanumeric letters?  Is this a status message?  Did I do something wrong or is this expected?  Does it toggle states to UnPC and Unload and Unletter?  Number?  If I didn't know any better, I'd say this message was coded in by a wooden techno weenie.

image.png.5273a243f4bb923c310f731bf8337d2c.png

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Phew. I don't actually have this device. I just work in user interfaces, for fuck sake. But I highly approve of these responses. Now vocabulary tips are welcomed. I am sure you boys are packing. 

Please load letter-sized paper seems like the gist of that error. I can't remember if it actually showed up all the time for other sorts of nonsense, though.  Just be happy it isn't flashing lights or a series of beeps. That old school method still rears its ugly head these days in some minimalist set-ups.

Tom

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did you have to make an input on the teletype or with a small deck of cards?  If no STFU and harden up.

Don't forget to clean the platter drive machine.

The paper tape people were the real poor bastards I bet!  Thankfully just slightly before my time. :)

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

VHS tape cassettes sort of sucked too!

I remember our first HP desktop computers with dual data drives on what looked a lot like audio cassette tape.  Soon after that I remember everyone crying about IBM forcing the industry to establish standards.

Boy, did we need standards.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Please load letter-sized paper seems like the gist of that error. I can't remember if it actually showed up all the time for other sorts of nonsense, though.  Just be happy it isn't flashing lights or a series of beeps. That old school method still rears its ugly head these days in some minimalist set-ups.

Tom

Jesus Christ, man. Don't write a whole fucking book on the matter.