6/29 miles and such

JerrySTL

14.1 miles at 17.3 mph avg. 69°F, humid, and a little wind this morning. Lots of debris on the roads as we had a big thunderstorm roll through last night. A couple of traffic lights weren't working making things a little dodgy. It's amazing how many people don't know that you treat an inoperative traffic light like a stop sign. Or they just aren't paying attention.

• Heart 2

30 @ 17.5.  I almost called it quits at 10 feet :(

My normal process is to stand over the bike, put my right foot on the pedal and clip it in as I coast down the driveway towards the street, and I have my left foot on the other pedal which I clip in pretty much as soon as the other is clipped in.  For whatever reason, I wasn't truly clipped in to the right pedal, so when I hit the end of the driveway and the little transition strip there, my right foot slid forward off the pedal and straight down. Of course I had forward momentum, so my cleat shod foot started to slide, which caused my weight to shift on the bike and my also unclipped left foot to now slide off its pedal and hit the pavement. Both legs went separate directions and the bike was wobbly. My instinct was "don't crush my nads!", so I furiously flailed around to come to an upright stop. YAY!

However, in those spastic two or three seconds, I managed to smash my left shin TWICE with the crankarm/pedal, to take some skin off various parts of my lower legs, AND to cause a huge knot in my left calf.  I was in quite a bit of low level pain, but also dressed to ride. No one saw me wipe out (I wish there was some video footage), so I could either continue like nothing happened or go back inside and get babied by my wife.  Anyway, I chose to ride, and tried not to push it at all. In the back of my head, as I noticed the two large knots (are they contusions?) on my shin, and felt the monster knot in my calf, I wondered if riding was a BAD IDEA. But then I realized TdF riders break bones and keep riding, so I needed to suck it up and be a big boy.

I did see a deer and one of the baby bunnies again, and my bike got a complement from a roadie, so that's was cool.  I feel like @Dirtyhip put me through an MTB ringer, but I at least got a ride in :D

IMG_6401.thumb.PNG.2032f92f0dbadff8b245f05f46c1da50.PNG

Tom

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

30 @ 17.5.  I almost called it quits at 10 feet :(

My normal process is to stand over the bike, put my right foot on the pedal and clip it in as I coast down the driveway towards the street, and I have my left foot on the other pedal which I clip in pretty much as soon as the other is clipped in.  For whatever reason, I wasn't truly clipped in to the right pedal, so when I hit the end of the driveway and the little transition strip there, my right foot slid forward off the pedal and straight down. Of course I had forward momentum, so my cleat shod foot started to slide, which caused my weight to shift on the bike and my also unclipped left foot to now slide off its pedal and hit the pavement. Both legs went separate directions and the bike was wobbly. My instinct was "don't crush my nads!", so I furiously flailed around to come to an upright stop. YAY!

However, in those spastic two or three seconds, I managed to smash my left shin TWICE with the crankarm/pedal, to take some skin off various parts of my lower legs, AND to cause a huge knot in my left calf.  I was in quite a bit of low level pain, but also dressed to ride. No one saw me wipe out (I wish there was some video footage), so I could either continue like nothing happened or go back inside and get babied by my wife.  Anyway, I chose to ride, and tried not to push it at all. In the back of my head, as I noticed the two large knots (are they contusions?) on my shin, and felt the monster knot in my calf, I wondered if riding was a BAD IDEA. But then I realized TdF riders break bones and keep riding, so I needed to suck it up and be a big boy.

I did see a deer and one of the baby bunnies again, and my bike got a complement from a roadie, so that's was cool.  I feel like @Dirtyhip put me through an MTB ringer, but I at least got a ride in :D

IMG_6401.thumb.PNG.2032f92f0dbadff8b245f05f46c1da50.PNG

Tom

I'm glad you continued on with your ride. If @Dirtyhip and I quit every time our pedals bit our shins, we'd never ride! And we wouldn't have as many scars to show off.  :D 

18 minutes ago, smudge said:

I'm glad you continued on with your ride. If @Dirtyhip and I quit every time our pedals bit our shins, we'd never ride! And we wouldn't have as many scars to show off.  :D 

We shall see if I can even walk tomorrow.  Roadies are big pussies.

Tom