Have you ever had a spectacular banana?

Randomguy

...all your standard bananas get picked green and are gas ripened on the boat and in storage along the way from Central America.

To have a spectacular banana, you need to vacation in Tobago, and buy some of the local small varieties from the guy who lives out in the jungle and brings them into town to sell at the market.

BananaRedDaccaWiki2.jpg

All bananas are the exact same, almost clones of each other.  At least the ones we get,  They are all Cavendish bananas.  So basically the banana and the Big Mac are the same no matter where you buy it.  That is why no one ever says "Damn, that was the BEST Big Mac I ever ate" also.

Here are some fun banana facts for you.  

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/8-things-you-didnt-know-about-bananas

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

All bananas are the exact same, almost clones of each other.  At least the ones we get,  They are all Cavendish bananas.  So basically the banana and the Big Mac are the same no matter where you buy it.  That is why no one ever says "Damn, that was the BEST Big Mac I ever ate" also.

Here are some fun banana facts for you.  

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/8-things-you-didnt-know-about-bananas

You know what they call a banana in France?  The royale with cheese.  You know why?

• Heart 1

Destruction of T&T’s banana market

Gone are the days when every fruit vendor in T&T had a variety of bananas. Over the last few years, “sikyè”, “silk”, “gros michel”, and “lacatan” bananas are seldom seen in our market and local grocery. Why does T&T import thousands of tonnes of bananas annually when such a desired fruit can be grown locally?..http://www.guardian.co.tt/business-guardian/2013-05-09/destruction-tt’s-banana-market

...I guess it's been a while since I visited the islands.:(  Looks like you're on your own, buddy. :(:(:(

30 minutes ago, Bag of dick said:

Are there really spectacular bananas somewhere in the world?

...yes.  Even after reading that article, I still believe that over on the north side of Tobago, there are people growing and eating some of the swell smaller varieties, and letting them ripen before they get picked. 

They used to have direct flights from NYC, and you can get a cab at the airport that will take you over to Charlotteville, or rent a car if you're intent on seeing the whole island.  Take @AirwickWithCheese along, he's on vacation next month.