What do you use? (bike related)

a bunch of numbers

9 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

What do you use to mount your phone on your handlebars?  If you do that?

I use my back jersey pocket for my phone so no product recommendation for you.  However, I didn't realize for quite a while that my Garmin 520 would display text messages and incoming phone numbers (and weather alerts) when linked to my phone via Bluetooth LE.  I had it linking by default to standard BT (rides upload to Garmin automatically), but realized I could also connect the BT LE.  Anyway, log story short, it is real nice to see (and ignore) who is calling/texting me without stopping and checking. 

My phone is pretty large, so I have never really thought about mounting it, but it would be a far superior GPS to any of the Garmin head units - especially considering my aging eyes.

Tom

• Awesome 1

40 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

What do you use to mount your phone on your handlebars?  If you do that?

Do you have a particular product in mind? I'm like the others in that I keep my phone in my pocket but I see a bunch of riders with their phone mounted to their bars so I know the mounts are out there.  I'd venture to guess there are some well thought out mounts by now.

I bought a nice mount, never bothered to hook it up. You had to remove the case to use the mount. I think if I wanted to be able to see my phone while I ride I would use one of the little bags that hooks on the top tube and the stem and has a window to display your phone. They are usually big enough for your wallet and car keys too.

I think this is the most awesome looking phone mount in the history of the world. It is my understanding it doesn't work worth a damn unless you get the rubber strap to go with it. Still, to just ride around with an awesome looking mount, it may be worth $15.99.

51IeWv1u+cL._SL1001_.jpg

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I use my back jersey pocket for my phone so no product recommendation for you.  However, I didn't realize for quite a while that my Garmin 520 would display text messages and incoming phone numbers (and weather alerts) when linked to my phone via Bluetooth LE.  I had it linking by default to standard BT (rides upload to Garmin automatically), but realized I could also connect the BT LE.  Anyway, log story short, it is real nice to see (and ignore) who is calling/texting me without stopping and checking. 

I found that during longer rides, the Bluetooth connection between my Garmin 520 and cell phone would drain the batteries in the phone pretty quickly. Now I usually disable Bluetooth on my phone for rides over 2 hours. My phone is rather ancient (3-4 YO) and the battery is probably not the best (and not replaceable). Maybe a new phone would help.

The first time it happened, a message popped up on my Garmin saying that the battery was low. I must have forgot to charge the Garmin and was going to miss out on tracking a metric century! Damn! Nope - it was telling me that my phone's battery was low.

47 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I think this is the most awesome looking phone mount in the history of the world. It is my understanding it doesn't work worth a damn unless you get the rubber strap to go with it. Still, to just ride around with an awesome looking mount, it may be worth $15.99.

I was looking at that one.  I was also looking at this one. (in the link below)  I don't know.  I may rethink this.  With drop bars, it looks like I'd lose a hand position, and I don't want to mount it to the stem.  I don't wear bike jerseys so the back pocket of that is out.  Oh well... it's not that big a deal.  I was just curious what you all used.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Motorcycle-Phone-Mount-Universal/dp/B01ICAI44S/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_img_2/141-6427588-3357013?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MR1J9VT2Q1ZF5RSH7RAK

2 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

Oh well... it's not that big a deal.  I was just curious what you all used.

Would it be for functional use during the ride - like navigation, stats, etc. - or more just as a place to hold the phone in case you needed it? If it is the latter, they have those top tube bags that bikecampers and tri-athletes both seem to like.

bikepacking-top-tube-bags-22.thumb.jpg.2c72ca2d5648f33d9987424aab005ce1.jpg

A couple interesting ideas I noticed on Bike Rumor are:

Topeak:

product-ridecase-smartphone-holder-with-powerpack-7800mah-shwp-7800mah-4-047d74c505ae86d638bfb5d093902bc7.thumb.jpg.07cec3dbd3149acce735050f6bf16351.jpg

Runtimate:

U-bike-versatile-bike-mount.jpg.d300cb0f4c11093312fbf30a0a8e61e9.jpg

Tom