Summer reading

Ralphie

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am reading a biography of Jerry Seinfeld.  He hasn;t met Larry David yet.  He just bombed at his first night at Catch a Rising Star.

I liked Seinfeld the first time I ever saw him.  Probably on Johnny Carson.

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I liked Seinfeld the first time I ever saw him.  Probably on Johnny Carson.

Who was it on the show who asked: "Oh, you do that observational stuff?  Yeah, I've seen your act."  and acted totally bored and blase. :D

Said he loved Cosby, Bob Hope, etc., but no mention yet of George Carlin who really did that observational thing well. :)

• Heart 1

I downloaded "A Cool and Lonely Courage" by Susan Ottaway before the Katy...but just started it this weekend...about two sisters who were in the Resistance in France during WWII...they were born in England one parent French, on British...they moved to France before the war...

Prior to that..I just finished a Jack Reacher book on cd...it helped me make the drive home from Missouri "Bad Luck and Trouble"....

It was vacation week so I actually got to read.  Another Dean Koontz, cause he's quite crazy, and Matthew Kelly's Resisting Happiness.  A Catholic book, sure, but he makes really good points even for non-religious folks.  All about how we put far too much effort resisting the little things we really ought to be doing that make us better people, thus happier people.

I recently started a SF book called "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge. I'm not sure where it came from on my Kindle, but I spotted it and am giving it a whirl.  So far, it has a crap ton of "what the hell is going on" moments for me, but eventually the author explains it some more so you start to understand. At 15%, I'm hoping by 30% I actually am able to switch between plot lines and have a grasp on each set of rules and environments.

I recently finished "Voices" by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indriðason which is part of his Detective Erlendur series. Those (and this was) are usually pretty good stories.  Also waiting on my renewal of "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson.  Sort of a twist on a superhero/villain story.

Tom

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Another Dean Koontz, cause he's quite crazy

I read a handful of his books but I found a couple of them almost too disturbing to be enjoyable.  I don't read him anymore. 

But I hope you enjoy it. :D

I've been reading Saturn Run.

It got off to a good start, but the mistakes are adding up. He placed a vending machine on a ship going to Saturn. IOW, on a ship where every pound costs hundreds of thousand of dollars, he added a completely uneccesary 100-200 pounds. Makes no sense. And no, he makes a point of how heavy the thing is by having it fall on someone and hurting them.

One of the passengers brought a cat along on a voyage lasting a couple years. Really curious about how you make a zero g litter box...

The ship is the Richard M Nixon, that is just so wrong.

The space around Saturn has  intense radiation. We have trouble building devices that last very long. Yet the author never brings it up, or deals with the shielding issues that would be one of the biggest problems engineers would face.

I haven't given up, but I am not far from it. There is also a saboteur on board. There is a drop dead gorgeous news bimbo on board, and she is the most likely suspect. Although the intel guy on the ship doesn't bring that up.

I'll be going back to the Expanse soon. Home sweet home :D

I just ordered a used copy of A Conspiracy of Paper, by David Liss.

I enjoyed his Coffee Trader last year, and I try to work in a historical novel in the summer. Just seems the thing to do, old chap. (Takes place in England)