I'll just vent here...

ChrisL

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We both run 25c so no need to run 100 psi. Like running 125 on 23c's

I run 95 on the front and 100 in the back when running 700x25s. Of course I weigh around 215 lbs so if you are lighter, then less pressure may be appropriate for you.

• Heart 1

I like 100-110 on the Roubaix, but I run 23's on it. None the less, she should have had them both at 80 if that's what you two prefer. Not rippin' on your wife, but she wasn't even close. 

Does she not really like to ride? Is that why you have to prep everything??

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd be worried her eyesight is going, because there is no way she would lie or just make up a number.

Tom

Yeah she needs reading glasses, most likely didn't have them on.  I didn't mention it in my rant but she once inflated them to 60 thinking it was 80.  I took the tongue lashing as I wasn't going out the door under inflated 20 psi

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

I like 100-110 on the Roubaix, but I run 23's on it. None the less, she should have had them both at 80 if that's what you two prefer. Not rippin' on your wife, but she wasn't even close. 

Does she not really like to ride? Is that why you have to prep everything??

My wife loves to ride but isn't very mechanically inclined so I prep and service her bike.  She really only rides with me as she is just completely vexed with changing a tube should she flat so won't ride solo or with a women's group she belongs to as the expectation is you fix your own flats. 

I really don't ride the road much anymore and she refuses to ride mtn so it's getting harder to fit in rides together.

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My wife loves to ride but isn't very mechanically inclined so I prep and service her bike.  She really only rides with me as she is just completely vexed with changing a tube should she flat so won't ride solo or with a women's group she belongs to as the expectation is you fix your own flats. 

I really don't ride the road much anymore and she refuses to ride mtn so it's getting harder to fit in rides together.

I certainly have to do it all for my wife and daughters.

I just don't understand how/why so many women have no interest in even the simplest mechanical endeavors. I like it! I don't do a whole lot, but I totally enjoy doing what mechanical stuff I am able to do. My brain likes it, my ego likes it, my independent nature likes it. 

Again, not rippin' on anyone; I just don't get it.

And yes, @ChrisL it sounds like you did a good job sucking it up.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, smudge said:

I just don't understand how/why so many women have no interest in even the simplest mechanical endeavors. I like it! I don't do a whole lot, but I totally enjoy doing what mechanical stuff I am able to do. My brain likes it, my ego likes it, my independent nature likes it. 

Again, not rippin' on anyone; I just don't get it.

And yes, @ChrisL it sounds like you did a good job sucking it up.

Hey, there are a lot of men that don't get excited about mechanical stuff.  One only has to hang around the LBS to see examples of this.  People are people and they are turned on by different things.

My comment on 'sucking it up' relates to the fact that I am surprised by some posts on this site.  I do not share my 'bitches' about other people and for sure not family. That is just me and the way I roll.  Sometimes, I just get tired of reading of all the 'drama', so I skip a lot of the threads on this forum. Hell, based upon his own words, he knew that was a potential problem.  Just handle it and enjoy the ride!!! Thank goodness, Duke and I can go feed the sheep and 'vent' to each other.  I am sure he has some choice words for Lad. It may be time for me to take a break from this site.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Hey, there are a lot of men that don't get excited about mechanical stuff.  One only has to hang around the LBS to see examples of this.  People are people and they are turned on by different things.

My comment on 'sucking it up' relates to the fact that I am surprised by some posts on this site.  I do not share my 'bitches' about other people and for sure not family. That is just me and the way I roll.  Sometimes, I just get tired of reading of all the 'drama', so I skip a lot of the threads on this forum. Hell, based upon his own words, he knew that was a potential problem.  Just handle it and enjoy the ride!!! Thank goodness, Duke and I can go feed the sheep and 'vent' to each other.  I am sure he has some choice words for Lad. It may be time for me to take a break from this site.

Well here's my vent....

WE AIN'T SEEN NO PICS OF DUKE IN A LONG TIME!!!! OR LAD!!!!!!  I'm sure they are still doing adorable stuff!  Come on, Mr. Herder; share some pics of the doggies! OH! And Smokey!

:) 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I get it that I rant here about my MIL and other stuff.  Some of it is genuine bitching and some of it is just fodder for the forums to pile on at my expense.  It's all good with me.  

I do sense frustration from you in some of the responses to my posts and my response yesterday was a reaction to it.  It wasn't appropriate so I apologize for the snarkyness.  Don't get wrapped up in the drama as in the grand scheme of things it's all minor piddly ass shit and I get it.

Take the break if you feel you must, you will be missed if you do.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I get it that I rant here about my MIL and other stuff.  Some of it is genuine bitching and some of it is just fodder for the forums to pile on at my expense.  It's all good with me.  

I do sense frustration from you in some of the responses to my posts and my response yesterday was a reaction to it.  It wasn't appropriate so I apologize for the snarkyness.  Don't get wrapped up in the drama as in the grand scheme of things it's all minor piddly ass shit and I get it.

Take the break if you feel you must, you will be missed if you do.

I generally just make up my "bitch and moans", simply for fun in the Cafe. Most have a nugget of truth, but often, that merely gets the ball rolling.

Tom

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, smudge said:

Again, not rippin' on anyone; I just don't get it

I do very little work to my own bike, and for me it is simple.  I work on dive gear a lot, and lots of technical stuff so I am mechanically inclined.  When it comes to my bike, it is simply I lead a busy life and my free time has value to me.  If I have a couple hours to spend with my bike, I want to spend it with my ass on the saddle, not working on it.  Therefore except for things like the most basic of cleaning and changing a tire, I take it to the shop and pay to have them do it while I am at work simply so I don't have to.  It is worth the money to not have to do it and my time still be available to me.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, smudge said:

:cheerleader:

There's one of those stupid "people off the street" Chevy commercials in which they send a mass notification to everyone on their cell phones, a sample of the kind of diagnostic notification that the car will send you - like the tire pressure and that kind of thing. One of the women in the assembled crowd says "I don't need a boyfriend anymore".  I suspect modern, liberated, independent women find this almost as irritating as I do.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I've admired your patience & tolerance for many years. A different point of view, a considered response, I would surely miss you, if you leave, 

And I hope I haven't upset you.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, ChrisL said:

So I slept in a little today and when I came down the missus already had her coffee and wanted to ride.  As is the case wh en she wants to ride I have to get the bikes down, prep both, get shoes, helmets & other kit out of the garage and stage everything.  All she does is get ready and her bike and gear is laid out ready to go.

well as I got a late start I was getting ready to inflate tires when she said go get ready, I'll do that.  Not wanting to argue I said fine but the pump and anything to do with tires and wheels just gives her fits.  

So I get ready and come down.  I feel my tires and it's hard as a rock.  I ask to what PSI and I get a terse, I'm not stupid 80 psi... OK whatever let's go.  I can tell my tires are over inflated and I'm guessing hers are too. Shortly after the truck near miss she deflects a rock that nails my frame.  Wife, what was that??? A rock.  It hit me? No you shot it out from your tire it hit me.  Me hoping she leaves it alone but she doesn't... ITS 80PSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   OK whatever and I let it go not wanting to argue over PSI but goddamit they are over inflated.IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.55194257907c67e7b225716a9cf41865.JPG

So we get home and missus has errands to do so jumps in the shower and leaves.  I break out the bike and pump.... 100 fucking PSI....

Wow! It's rare for a gauge to be off by 20 psi like that!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have 25 gatorksins and run ≈110 in back & ≈100 front. I have ridden up 120 on both at times.

Just curious as to why such high PSI?

I went larger volume tire so I could run lower PSI for a smoother ride. Mission accomplished as I love the feel of the tires when pressured down. I also ride on good roads and am around 200 lbs.  There is no need for me to pressure them up 100 PSI. It's like riding on rocks.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Just curious as to why such high PSI?

I went larger volume tire so I could run lower PSI for a smoother ride. Mission accomplished as I love the feel of the tires when pressured down. I also ride on good roads and am around 200 lbs.  There is no need for me to pressure them up 100 PSI. It's like riding on rocks.

I have no valid reason other than I just do.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I wish I had a real reason ?

Use some of your Executive influence to get a few studies going on tire pressure!  Seriously, though, have you used one of the online body weight - tire pressure calculators?  I can't imagine any "expert" in the field suggesting a 120 psi for 25s! The 110/100 could probably be dropped to 100/90 with no adverse impact, but an upside of slightly smoother ride and a smidge higher average speed. The ride comfort should be noticeable, the speed increase is always more debatable. But like Chris states, it really is your preference, so if you feel and ride best on 110/100, don't change on our account!

image.png.92d3f134984ccdddbc9692d423593ac0.png

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Use some of your Executive influence to get a few studies going on tire pressure!  Seriously, though, have you used one of the online body weight - tire pressure calculators?  I can't imagine any "expert" in the field suggesting a 120 psi for 25s! The 110/100 could probably be dropped to 100/90 with no adverse impact, but an upside of slightly smoother ride and a smidge higher average speed. The ride comfort should be noticeable, the speed increase is always more debatable. But like Chris states, it really is your preference, so if you feel and ride best on 110/100, don't change on our account!

image.png.92d3f134984ccdddbc9692d423593ac0.png

Tom

I'll assemble "the committee on tire pressure", government funded of course :)Honestly, I don't follow guidelines, trends, calculators. I just do chit. I've gone a several days before w/o topping off my taars and found they were around 90. The ride was a lil more cushy, but barely far as I can tell. Yes I've used 120, but rarely. typically I'm 110/100. 

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'll assemble "the committee on tire pressure", government funded of course :)Honestly, I don't follow guidelines, trends, calculators. I just do chit. I've gone a several days before w/o topping off my taars and found they were around 90. The ride was a lil more cushy, but barely far as I can tell. Yes I've used 120, but rarely. typically I'm 110/100. 

Tire brand, road conditions, rider/bike weight and preference all factor in here.  Ride what makes you happy.  For me it's 80 PSI dammit!!! ?

• Heart 1