For PZ and 12string

Razors Edge

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...and any other cyclist/hockey fans who might know who Andrew Ference is (I didn't):

Phil Gaimon talks hockey and cycling with Andrew Ference.

I assume @Prophet Zacharia and likely @12string have heard of that guy.

Tom

Sure. He broke in with the Pens. Won a Cup with the Bruins. Finished his career in Edmonton. I knew he brought the Cup to a gathering in a bike trailer and is a big environment advocate. Didn’t know he was a professional cycling fan. Currently listening to the podcast to better understand that angle.

18 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Interesting interview. But other than mentioning Ted King and some TDC and Strada Bianche, I don’t know mcmuch more about his cycling interests other than training fitness.

I liked the part where he talked about cycling as fitness "test" which really helped him do well.  Add in his talk about how he broke into the league - coming up as a 16 yr old minor leaguer.  And then his relatively frank talk about how he seemed to think hockey was behind the times on individual upkeep and attention to training.  And some other odds and ends like the "one-way" or "two-way" contracts.  I found it an easy way to pass time on a drive.

Tom

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I liked the part where he talked about cycling as fitness "test" which really helped him do well.  Add in his talk about how he broke into the league - coming up as a 16 yr old minor leaguer.  And then his relatively frank talk about how he seemed to think hockey was behind the times on individual upkeep and attention to training.  And some other odds and ends like the "one-way" or "two-way" contracts.  I found it an easy way to pass time on a drive.

Tom

It was a few years later after he broke into the league that diet became a focus for players in the league, and year round training. The old boy attitude was strong at the time he came in, with copious beer drinking, and I think lingered for awhile longer in Boston than in some other cities, if you can believe that.

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He fought Crosby once. Crosby won, bloodying him, though. Sid got the 1st period Gordie Howe Hattrick, goal, two assists and a fighting major. At Boston.

So he gets a few points for punching Crosby, and hearing about t Bruin being bloodied is never a bad thing.  Still not enough to like him.