The Story of the Currants

Kirby

41 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Oh this schlock gets 7 likes within the first 30 minutes while my watermelon story gets 5 in 9 hours.  :angry:

You people are deplorable. 

42 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

You've chosen to ignore content by AirwickWithCheese.

...XzOQ.gif

15 hours ago, Kirby said:

This story is filled with nostalgia and the drama of life moving on and family traditions being lost to the march of time.

It's also filled with the confession of several crimes. You'd better hope there's a statue of limitations to hang your hat on:

Blackcurrants were once popular in the United States as well, but became less common in the 20th century after currant farming was banned in the early 1900s, when blackcurrants, as a vector of white pine blister rust, were considered a threat to the U.S. logging industry.[25] The federal ban on growing currants was shifted to jurisdiction of individual states in 1966, and was lifted in New York State in 2003 through the efforts of horticulturist Greg Quinn. As a result, currant growing is making a comeback in New York, Vermont, Connecticut and Oregon.[26][27] However, several statewide bans still exist including Maine,[28] New Hampshire,[29] Virginia,[21] Ohio,[30] and Massachusetts.[31] Since the American federal ban curtailed currant production nationally for nearly a century, the fruit remains largely unknown in the United States, and has yet to regain its previous popularity to levels enjoyed in Europe or New Zealand. Owing to its unique flavour and richness in polyphenols, dietary fibre and essential nutrients, awareness and popularity of blackcurrant is once again growing, with a number of consumer products entering the U.S. market.[32]

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

It's also filled with the confession of several crimes. You'd better hope there's a statue of limitations to hang your hat on:

The law prohibited the planting or cultivation - the bushes in the Catskills  grew wild in the backyard and all around town as our neighbors could attest.  :nodhead:  The ones I planted were well after the ban was lifted in NY.  And although I have a few blackcurrant bushes, the not wild sister prefers the red currants that glisten like a jewel in the sun.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The law prohibited the planting or cultivation - the bushes in the Catskills  grew wild in the backyard and all around town as our neighbors could attest.  :nodhead:  The ones I planted were well after the ban was lifted in NY.  And although I have a few blackcurrant bushes, the not wild sister prefers the red currants that glisten like a jewel in the sun.

You're alibi is good enough for the Square Wheels Courtroom - though I'm not sure it would hold up against a crackerjack prosecutor in a real court.

• Haha 1

I'd say the currants were a hit.  My sister was definitely interested but not sure she knew how to make the jelly on her own.  My mother was totally surprised, but started thinking of all the things they'd need including certo (?) and jelly jars, but my sister kept insisting she could get whatever items my Mom mentioned.  So while we won't be eating currant jelly tomorrow,  I do think the currants will eventually be used.  My Mom wasn't sure she'd remember her recipe, but I remembered I had included it in a spiral bound cookbook I assembled years ago from various recipes she kept loosely assembled in a folder.

My Mom's reaction was almost worth nearly passing out from picking currants in the heat. :skipping:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1