Hey the soccer team was rescued

petitepedal

47 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

All are well. :cheerleader::cheerleader:

I just heard they don't really know if al are well-- just alive.  Trying to get doctors down there.  Good point WIlbur, the last update seems ti imply they may supply them down there because tough as that is, getting non-divers and 11 to 16 year olds at that through the exit may be the worst option.

There has been no mention of the depth of the air pocket either.  If it is a long vertical way from the water surface, they will have pressure issues to deal with as well.  At least now they know where they are, and can shuttle food, water and survival supplies to them as required.  

• Heart 3

54 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I don't have time to type in some fake news website.  Can you my reliable sources in SWC please give me details??

I just found out about it when I got a news push that they were found. A soccer team went missing in a Thai cave for three days and I didn’t learn of it until they were found.

18 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

3 days, 10 days... whatever.

I bet it was all over the news, but you did not know or understand it based on location....

BTW, this is the first I heard of it, but then again I am in Texas.  Soccer is illegal here I think.  At the very least it is don't ask, don't tell. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I bet it was all over the news, but you did not know or understand it based on location....

BTW, this is the first I heard of it, but then again I am in Texas.  Soccer is illegal here I think.  At the very least it is don't ask, don't tell. 

Kyle Rote Jr and the heady dayts when texas was one of the hotbeds of soccer in the US.  I suspect that today's problem is that the games have halves more than 30 minutes long and therefor exceed the attention span of a Texan.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

A friend of mine is a missionary over there and has kept me updated.

This will be as epic as the Chilean miners rescue.  Word now, is that the boys may be in the cave for months.  None know how to swim and that appears to be the only realistic way out. 

This makes zero sense.  Months?  They are bringing food and supplies to them.  They are bringing doctors to them.  They are bringing telephone wires to them.

How about this:   Some of the supplies can be scuba gear.  Some of the doctors can be doctors who can teach kids to breath in scuba gear.  Here kid, hold the end of this telephone wire while we pull.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Just now, 12string said:

This makes zero sense.  Months?  They are bringing food and supplies to them.  They are bringing doctors to them.  They are bringing telephone wires to them.

How about this:   Some of the supplies can be scuba gear.  Some of the doctors can be doctors who can teach kids to breath in scuba gear.  Here kid, hold the end of this telephone wire while we pull.

I wonder the same.  My guess is they would have to go under water for some distance to get out and if they can't swim or have a fear of water then it could excaserbate the problem and pose a potential drowning.

But yeah put a mask and respirator on them and guide them out is my initial thought but it's probably more complex.  

It was my understanding from last night's news that there are places in the 2 1/2 mile swim that cannot be accomplished while wearing dive gear.  That implies tunnels/cracks small enough to need to put the gear through separate from the swimmer and then re-attach it on the other side.

I am awe struck that divers could find them 2 1/2 miles inside in the first place.

• Heart 1

Not all of that 2 1/2 miles is underwater though.  They swim, then come to a section and hump gear up and over a section to another section of water.  Apparently it takes over 3 hours one way to get from base camp to where the boys are for the team.  Given the tasks at hand and the conditions, it speaks to the quality of the rescue teams that none of the divers/searchers have been killed up to this point.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Not all of that 2 1/2 miles is underwater though.  They swim, then come to a section and hump gear up and over a section to another section of water.  Apparently it takes over 3 hours one way to get from base camp to where the boys are for the team.  Given the tasks at hand and the conditions, it speaks to the quality of the rescue teams that none of the divers/searchers have been killed up to this point.

I understand, that like climbing Everest, that they are stockpiling base camps along the way with hundreds of Air Bottles and other equipment

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Yeah, with the diver dieing, heard the issue with the kids swimming out.  It's a 6 hour dive to get out underwater.  The diver that died, was placing Oxygen canisters for other divers.  They have to change canisters because they have to be under longer than one canister can last.  So this isn't a simple dive, you really have to know what you are doing as you are going to be required to change gear a couple times to make it through.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I keep wondering why they couldn't drill an escape hole from above.  :dontknow:

There are factors involved with that too.  Unlike the miners who were In an engineered cavity where they knew the layout of the grounds above, this is a natural cave system where drilling can cause collapses of sections.  (Oops)

There is also the issue of is the air space they are in there because of the air as opposed to being above the water line?  ( I have seen diagrams of the layout but it is hard to tell from that.

If that is the case, the only thing keeping the water out is the air.  Drilling would be bad. Think of it like this....,.  Fill your sink full of water, then turn a styrofoam cup upside down and submerge it to the bottom.  There is air trapped in the cup, that is where the boys are.  Take a straw and from the surface, stick it in the top.  The air would rush out and the cavity fill with water.  Oops.

If they are above the after line, this is not an issue.  They have a lot of people there who are trained and experts on this sort of thing from around the world and I guarantee they know more about the best ways to do it than Elon Musk.

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Drilling a hole into rock above an open cavern doesn't seem reasonable to me.  They can't control what they heck it's going to do.  I see a bunch of kids buried under ruble.  

Yeah, Musk becomes more of freaking crack pipe every single day.

Well here they go.  By the time you all get up and read this -- the first boy will either have made it or there will be some tragic stories ahead.  They are extracting them via diving.  The rescue operation has begun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/rescue-operation-for-a-thai-soccer-team-trapped-in-a-cave-to-begin-sunday/2018/07/07/f255d00c-825a-11e8-b658-4f4d2a1aeef1_story.html?utm_term=.596f14a8e606

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I am with a bunch of the others when saying train the little bastards to not freak the fuck out and follow directions and dive/walk out,  

Seriously, wtf?  "Oh, they are just children, they are dumb as shit and some don't know how to wipe their own asses"  Bullshit, I guarantee every one of those kids has spent significant time in pools, ponds, oceans, or streams, and even if they don't know how to "swim", they know how to and are comfortable playing in water for hours, fighting tides, currents, other kids, and venomous creatures at the same time.  Yeah yeah, not the same thing, I know.  It is dangerous, obviously, and a lot unpleasant, but so is life.

"Oh the kids, the kids..."  Kids, even at eleven years old, are capable of absorbing absolutely enormous amounts of information when interested, and I guarantee that each of those kids knows the lifetime stats of all their soccer heroes, down to how many times they scratch themselves during a game, broken down by season.  When I was 5. I could identify dozens upon dozens of dinosaurs, the periods in which they lived, their particular meal plans, and how they spent their leisure time, for instance, don't tell me at eleven that those fucks can't learn facts and then couple that with complex coordinated movements., ESPECIALLY when being led by 2 experienced divers each who are doing the heavy lifting here. 

The rescue is two-pronged: to help the boys who have been brought out of the cave, while working to save the remaining boys and coach still trapped inside. The rescue operation, authorities said, has paused for the night. Authorities said oxygen tanks needed to be refilled before continuing.

Oh geez.  They hit a delay and now won't start until 8 or 9 p.m. their time.

According to estimates, phase two of the rescue operation would not begin before 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. local time Monday (9 a.m. or 10 a.m. ET). Officials initially estimated the second phase of the mission would begin 10 to 12 hours after the first — roughly 7 a.m. local time Monday.