Hey the soccer team was rescued

petitepedal

10 hours ago, Dottles said:

Oh geez.  They hit a delay and now won't start until 8 or 9 p.m. their time.

Had to refill oxygen tanks and then redistribute them along the route.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Getting these last folks out will be key.  I'd hate to be in that last group. On the other hand, it'd probably good to know 8 of my team mates did it successfully.

Except for the coach, the last batch will be the weakest and sickest of the lot.

I think their thought process was twofold.  1)  The are weak because of dehydration and lack of food and maybe an extra couple days of nourishment would help.  and B.)  The first ones you would want to be the stronger so the divers get to work the kinks out of the process with the more reliable baggage.  When we do confined space extrication stuff, the strongest come out first, then the weak then the unconscious.  This is an unusual circumstance and there is a learning curve for the divers too.  Even though they have been back and forth a number of times, with baggage it totally changes things

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Except for the coach, the last batch will be the weakest and sickest of the lot.

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Really?  I haven't been following closely but I would think the worse off would be the first ones out?

That was my thinking. Get the troubled ones out first. But it does mean the last bit spend 2 or 3 days in there longer. After spending 14 days or so in a black, dank, cold hole may be wearing on them mentally. I know I would.

I read one account where they planned to take the strongest first, but then decided to go with the weakest first.  I do not know what the final choice was, but apparently the coach is one of the weakest of the bunch, as he gave up food to keep the boys going.  Hope others have more information.

Just now, parodybot said:

so jsharr is safe?

Jsharr is never safe.... as long as you still have available power.  I've mentioned that vulnerability to him many times but for some reason he keeps recharging your batteries.

• Heart 1

Well, the news has reversed itself with this:

An Australian doctor convinced Thai officials to change their rescue plans and first get some of the weakest boys out of the cave where they were trapped, it can be revealed. 

Cave diver and anaesthetist Dr Richard Harris, from Adelaide, dived with the rescue team on Sunday afternoon to check on the 12 boys and their coach.

The initial strategy was to extract the strongest boys first because they would have more chance of making it to safety while the others could stay back and build up strength.

But that was revised after Dr Harris' health assessment found some of the weaker boys may not survive if they were left behind, according to Thai media.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5931883/Weakest-Thai-soccer-players-extracted-caves-Adelaide-doctor-said-ready-move.html

I guess this is part of the problem of watching news from half way around the world coming to us from different reporters and different sources after different translations and falling upon different ears.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Well, the news has reversed itself with this:

An Australian doctor convinced Thai officials to change their rescue plans and first get some of the weakest boys out of the cave where they were trapped, it can be revealed. 

Cave diver and anaesthetist Dr Richard Harris, from Adelaide, dived with the rescue team on Sunday afternoon to check on the 12 boys and their coach.

The initial strategy was to extract the strongest boys first because they would have more chance of making it to safety while the others could stay back and build up strength.

But that was revised after Dr Harris' health assessment found some of the weaker boys may not survive if they were left behind, according to Thai media.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5931883/Weakest-Thai-soccer-players-extracted-caves-Adelaide-doctor-said-ready-move.html

I guess this is part of the problem of watching news from half way around the world coming to us from different reporters and different sources after different translations and falling upon different ears.

The weakest is the coach.  A former monk who insisted the boys eat what food they brought.  I hope he makes it out.  By all accounts, a great person.  Kept the boys calm by teaching them to meditate. 

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You get that from reading this entire thread. Hopeful everything turns out well.

Wonderful news.  I read somewhere there was discussion of pressing charges against the coach.  He sounds like a young guy with a hard childhood who may have made a mistake, but who was trying to help the kids.  I'm sure he'll be feeling a lot of guilt, but I hope he doesn't face any legal charges and that the local population supports him.

Can't give enough credit to the Thai seals, local officials and the volunteers from other nations who worked so hard for this result.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Wonderful news.  I read somewhere there was discussion of pressing charges against the coach.  He sounds like a young guy with a hard childhood who may have made a mistake, but who was trying to help the kids.  I'm sure he'll be feeling a lot of guilt, but I hope he doesn't face any legal charges and that the local population supports him.

I just heard he gets praise from the vast majority of people and is probably, rightfully credited with their survival. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I just heard he gets praise from the vast majority of people and is probably, rightfully credited with their survival. 

Yes, but he also is responsible for putting them in this situation.  I can certainly see charging him with something like child endangerment which I've heard discussed.  Supposedly this isn't his first incident.  He tends to take the boys on rather extreme team building adventures, team building stuff is good, but they don't have to be extreme adventures to do it and that is where adult judgement comes in when you are responsible for a group of kids, especially when they are not your kids.

• Whatever 1

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes, but he also is responsible for putting them in this situation.  I can certainly see charging him with something like child endangerment which I've heard discussed.  Supposedly this isn't his first incident.  He tends to take the boys on rather extreme team building adventures, team building stuff is good, but they don't have to be extreme adventures to do it and that is where adult judgement comes in when you are responsible for a group of kids, especially when they are not your kids.

I am sure all will be released in good time.  For now, he is the hero and may stay that way. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

My first thought is the coach was really reckless.  But this is a great article on him.  He sounds too good to be true.  It will be interesting to see how his community responds to him.  I hope they all can forgive him.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/asia/thai-soccer-coach-intl/index.html

He was reckless, that doesn't mean he also can't be a good person.

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah, an orphan who turned monk and then returned to his community to serve is about as awesome as you can be.

Does he carry a knapsack and play flute and kung fu the crap out of all the bad guys?  How is he at snatching pebbles out of blind mens hands?

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Why was he reckless?  Did he not honor the signs out front?

We can't always find someone to blame when bad things happen, much as we want to pretend the world is perfect.

I hope you are not serious.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

I hope you are not serious.

Completely.  What did he do that other tourists won't do.

Jongklai Worapongsathorn, the deputy director-general of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, told Thailand's Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) that the department had set its sights on developing the cave into a tourist destination.

The cave network is already well-known by locals. For the first kilometer (0.6 miles) or so inside the cavernous entrance, limestone rock formations hug high ceilings, creating an almost amphitheater-like atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Completely.  What did he do that other tourists won't do.

Jongklai Worapongsathorn, the deputy director-general of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, told Thailand's Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) that the department had set its sights on developing the cave into a tourist destination.

The cave network is already well-known by locals. For the first kilometer (0.6 miles) or so inside the cavernous entrance, limestone rock formations hug high ceilings, creating an almost amphitheater-like atmosphere.

Guess they should've sent an adult along with the group to be responsible then.

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Guess they should've sent an adult along with the group to be responsible then.

I get the impression that you believe they went that far into the cave because they wanted to crawl through dangerous holes in the dark without lights and swim underwater without gear.  Wouldn't it be more reasonable to believe that they went in where others go into lit portions of the cave that are well known and well traveled before they found the way out blocked?

I still don't understand what they did that was wrong.

Related image

I think it could have happened to anybody.  I think the temptation and excitement to continue exploring would be very strong.  But I also understand the point that he lived in the area, those caves are probably legendary there, and he knows the how the monsoon seasons play out.  Obviously he didn't want this to happen but he 'probably' should have used more precaution knowing that seasons don't always have a black and white boundary for start times.  Late June is essentially July.  I also think it'd been a good idea telling folks what the danger is -- flooding and maybe give an example along the lines "section of these caves have been known to elevate as much at X feet in Y hours." I could see not truly understanding or appreciating the 'danger' involved.  I'm not sure I would have thought of it to be honest.  Obviously now this has happened I'd think twice about it.

I'm not very religious, but God is so handy to ask for help, and easy to thank when things go right.

I asked for help, and thanked when it was given.

And I could see myself in the coaches shoes.

edit : I could see myself getting into the predicament, getting out...don't know, that guy was a rock.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

I think it could have happened to anybody.  I think the temptation and excitement to continue exploring would be very strong.  But I also understand the point that he lived in the area, those caves are probably legendary there, and he knows the how the monsoon seasons play out.  Obviously he didn't want this to happen but he 'probably' should have used more precaution knowing that seasons don't always have a black and white boundary for start times.  Late June is essentially July.  I also think it'd been a good idea telling folks what the danger is -- flooding and maybe give an example along the lines "section of these caves have been known to elevate as much at X feet in Y hours." I could see not truly understanding or appreciating the 'danger' involved.  I'm not sure I would have thought of it to be honest.  Obviously now this has happened I'd think twice about it.

The only thing I think the coach should have done is have the kids go home & tell the parents..."Hey we are going into the cave for a little. Be out in 4 hours" 

Then the 'rents could say not with my kid you don't or sure...see ya at dinner

• Heart 1