Wilburrrr!!

late

Holy crap.

Vanilla Skyrim. I remember a lot, but I've also forgotten a lot. I've got to go back to the guides myself. I got into the Bards College last nite, and did the Finns Lute mission.

I need to start making arrows. Never did like that. I really need a Smithing cheat chest. I'm about level 9, killed a couple dragons, but it's dicey. I also need something enchanted that will let me carry more. In regular Skyrim I have a cheat chest that has all the enchantments. So before I even talk to the Jarl for the first time, I bring my enchanting up to level 50 and use another cheat to get 2 enchantments on each item. In vanilla, that happens at level 100...

If you have a good follower, you should be at the point where you can go to Solsteim, and get the Chaos Damage enchantment. It's the only way to go if you're vanilla.

I'm really more of a chocolate guy.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I'm still trying to cast my first Fear spell at the college of Magic.  Level 18 or something.  I've been all over that province and am still aiming to play more of the magic role... though I'm a thief now.

How high is your Magicka? I've been working on Conjuration and nothing happened til I got to 150.

3 hours ago, late said:

How high is your Magicka? I've been working on Conjuration and nothing happened til I got to 150.

I've bumped up my Magicka quite a bit but there are a lot of things I have not figured out yet.  AFAIK, Magicka scores seem to only increase the charge meter but you need to acquire perks to really give your magic skills upgrades.  Do I have that wrong?  Actually, I'm trying to bump up my 'enchantments' to increase my thieves armor to get magical protection -- but I don't know how to do it.  I think I know but unsure.  Also, still trying to get into the magic academy.  I'm supposed to have a couple items to build the Fear spell but I can't remember what they are now and i am not a fan of the list system they use in their Books menu (Yes, I could look that up but doing so I almost feel like that cheats the game -- in fact arguably figuring this out is what this game is about).  Those things should be clearly labeled.  I often switch tasks and campaigns and I forget what note was with what expedition, etc.   I'm also a little bit confused on how to use scrolls.  I'm still figuring out some key things like when to use them.  I guess it means just go in there and click it but that doesn't seem right either. But I've got the health and battle axe thing down quite nicely.  And truth be told, I find almost all potions except health increases and resistance to certain types of magic to be useless... which means most magicka ones.  Particularly the stamina ones.  The rate of increase on staimina regeneration is so acceptable that owning them are useless.  They just clutter up my Potions menu.  I'm going to sell them all.  And speaking of potions -- why do I need 8 different names for the same thing?  I need health regeneration -- call it that.  Not all these adjectives preceding the health restoration.  I think I own 50 different potions and I use maybe 10 of them and all those are scattered throughout the menu.  And then if you use alchemy to make them -- they name theme something else ridiculously.  PITA if you ask me.  Witcher suffers from the same problem though.

3 hours ago, late said:

I also haven't done anything with conjuration yet.  I am only 2 or 3 mainline quests into the main story line.  Been doing everything else and still only scratching the surface.

I will tell you what I know.

Getting into the college is easy if you have added a little magicka. Buy the spell Faralda offers, or if you have it, use it. If it's hard, you've made a simple mistake in the dialog.

You want perks, but you also need to buy Spell Books.

Look at a guide to enchanting. I've got to relearn that myself. The basics are that you need to know the enchantment (books or by disenchanting what is usually your favorite weapon). Then you need soul gems to actually lay the enchantment on weapons and armor. Small soul gems may not be able to do a heavy duty enchantment.

Click to get the map, and then there is a button you can click to see the mission list. It's info can be incomplete.

I understand the desire to do this without guides. I need them, and you will spend a great deal of time wandering around hoping to get lucky.

Potions get better when you have leveled up both Alchemy and Enchanting. You can enchant rings and armor to improve alchemy (and smithing). One way to do that is to get Giant Toes, Wheat and Creep Clusters. Make a potion out of that and it will level your alchemy up.

However, there are a handful of potions that get used the most. We'll leave that for another day.

Hope that helps.

About Conjuring, get empty petty soul gems and the Soul Trap book. Kill a small animal and Soul Trap it repeatedly. When magicka gets low, just hit T and wait an hour. The more petty soul gems you can get, the faster you level up. I'd wait on adding perks to the Conjuration skill tree.

2 minutes ago, late said:

About Conjuring, get empty petty soul gems and the Soul Trap book. Kill a small animal and Soul Trap it repeatedly. When magicka gets low, just hit T and wait an hour. The more petty soul gems you can get, the faster you level up. I'd wait on adding perks to the Conjuration skill tree.

I just sold off a bunch of gems.  Lucky me.

I just spent an hour trying, once again, trying to figure out how to use Nexus Mods.

I have the Mod Manager, but can't figure out how to get Mods into it.

I imagine to a geek it's obvious. I keep trying to do it and I get nowhere. Frustrating.

I got Nexus going. So far I have only gotten the UI patch. That's the big one, 177mb of bug fixes. It actually removes one of the legal cheats, you can loot the secret Khajit caravan chests. You can get a bunch of soul gems from them. The easiest one is at markarth. It's right up against the wall where the Khajit camp. My favorite, for no particular reason, is at Dawnstar. It's to the left of the mine, in front of a boulder amid some rocks.

Not that I am going to skip cheats. I'll just be a little more discreet about it. First I have to set up the game with graphics and immersion mods. There's a ton of them, and you need to be careful. You can ask your video card to do too much. There's also a question of taste. You can make skyrim look like Hogwarts if you want.

Quite tempted to try the bikini 'armor'. Seeing how we're having our 36th anniversary in a few days, that might be pushing my luck. But I should be able to get Mavari armor.

https://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-graphics-mod/