World Cup quarterfinal predictions

Dottleshead

So who do you have coming out of the quarters? 

The first game for me is the hardest.  I'm pulling for Uruguay.  Anyway, this is my best guess:  Uruguay, Brazil, England, and Croatia.  

Quarterfinal
7:00 AM
Bing predicts FRA wins

Quarterfinal
11:00 AM
Bing predicts BRA wins

Saturday, July 7

Quarterfinal
7:00 AM
Bing predicts ENG wins

Quarterfinal
11:00 AM
Bing predicts CRO wins

35 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

The diving kills me too.  These guys must be embarrassed when they watch themselves.

I do not understand why I've never seen a card for diving.  On the other hand I worked with an MLS referee who explained to me why Carlos Valderrama got to wear his gold chain in matches when it was against the rules.  "Valderama"............"ref"................"Valderama"................."ref".

Perhaps the referees simply don't want to be "unpicked" for future games.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The Belgian keeper’s save in the waning moments yesterday was pretty good.

Indeed.  

I picked the other two because they were turning points in the game.  Obviously the English keepers save was a game winner in PK's.  The French keepers save kept the momentum from turning and the French went on to win.

There was a monumental failure as well when a keeper let a shot push his hands out of the way as the ball went through to the goal.  In his defense, the shot was a vicious knuckle ball that move around a lot.  Keepers don't get the mitts that baseball catchers use for knuckle ball pitchers.  I got hit once square in the face by such a shot from a German Navy team player's shot from outside the box.  I simply couldn't move my hands quickly enough to protect my head.  (it was however a save even though I was out on the ground before it came back down)

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Indeed.  

I picked the other two because they were turning points in the game.  Obviously the English keepers save was a game winner in PK's.  The French keepers save kept the momentum from turning and the French went on to win.

There was a monumental failure as well when a keeper let a shot push his hands out of the way as the ball went through to the goal.  In his defense, the shot was a vicious knuckle ball that move around a lot.  Keepers don't get the mitts that baseball catchers use for knuckle ball pitchers.  I got hit once square in the face by such a shot from a German Navy team player's shot from outside the box.  I simply couldn't move my hands quickly enough to protect my head.  (it was however a save even though I was out on the ground before it came back down)

Was that monumental failure you referenced during the Belgium game as well? It was a really awkward scene, I joked to my family that I would have made that save (knowing full well I would not have!). I also have to believe that Brazil wins that game if they tie it late, they were relentless at the end. Looked like the end of a hockey game with the extra skater in how many attacking chances they had.

32 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Was that monumental failure you referenced during the Belgium game as well? It was a really awkward scene, I joked to my family that I would have made that save (knowing full well I would not have!). I also have to believe that Brazil wins that game if they tie it late, they were relentless at the end. Looked like the end of a hockey game with the extra skater in how many attacking chances they had.

It's possible, but I believe Brazil was a victim of their own diving.  It was clear that one would have to murder a Brazilian to get a card from that referee.  Perhaps this will bring an end to the extremes of acting.