Vacations... do you vacate from the foods too or indulge?

Dottleshead

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

I have a couple moderate bike rides planned for the next couple days but I admit that going out to new establishments always seems to push it's way to the forefront.  Do your vacations turn into foodfests?

New food is all part of the adventure.  If we are camping, that runs the gamut from what's local in the fruit or veggies world, to what are the local breweries or coffee shops (for tasty beer and tasty pastries). For true "vacations", we eat out constantly.  There is really no point in being in France, Morocco, Peru, or India and not "indulging".

For all vacations (or social events) I also suspend my "don't eat meat" rule.

Tom

• Heart 1

We like to try local foods.  We tend to stay away from chain restaurants anyway so "tripadvisor" is a tool we use to determine what to try where.  (That is how I discovered amazing Empanadas in Boise, Idaho of all places)

For the two of us, who both enjoy the dining experience, new places and foods are part of the trip

52 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Indulge, if I have time for leisurely  meals, otherwise it is subways and delis.

I was on a business trip to England and my co-worker wanted to get dinner at Subway. I was furious. I didn't travel 3000 miles to eat at a Subway. I won that argument.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I was on a business trip to England and my co-worker wanted to get dinner at Subway. I was furious. I didn't travel 3000 miles to eat at a Subway. I won that argument.

This is not what I do when on international travel, just within the USA. Most of my travel anymore is photo related, and there is not much leisure time.

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I think they meant go to the Chunnel and a quick trip to France for real food :whistle:

Tom

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I do tend to pay less attention to good eating habits on vacation, but our vacations are much more active than normal

My wife and I decided we could no longer just go on 'food' vacations -- meaning there better be some outdoor activities in there somewhere.  And by outdoor activities -- it's biking or walking.  A year ago we went to we went to Moab to do some mountain bike riding.  This September we are going to McCCall Idaho for bike riding.  No more go to Hawaii, sit on your ass, lay on the beach, and eat, eat, eat. Our general rule is, if we go out to eat a nice meal somewhere -- we have to have earned it.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

My wife and I decided we could no longer just go on 'food' vacations -- meaning there better be some outdoor activities in there somewhere.  And by outdoor activities -- it's biking or walking.  A year ago we went to we went to Moab to do some mountain bike riding.  This September we are going to McCCall Idaho for bike riding.  No more go to Hawaii, sit on your ass, lay on the beach, and eat, eat, eat. Our general rule is, if we go out to eat a nice meal somewhere -- we have to have earned it.

Uh, I think you were do something wrong in Hawaii.  Hawaii is all about doing outdoor activities AND including beach time plus tasty food.

Try it again the right way!

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Uh, I think you were do something wrong in Hawaii.  Hawaii is all about doing outdoor activities AND including beach time plus tasty food.

Try it again the right way!

Tom

oh we have.  but hawaii was the first place I gained like 10 lbs doing it the wrong way.  since then we have been back and bike riding maui.  kauai should be hiked.

Well...if vacation includes a 600 mile drive (or close to it...like the Katy) unfortunately driving food seems to be fast food..but once I am somewhere..I want to eat with the locals and try to avoid chains..Heck I try to avoid chains locally... let's see I am pretty sure I lost weight on The Great Adventure...the Katy...may have lost a little.:dontknow:

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Well...if vacation includes a 600 mile drive (or close to it...like the Katy) unfortunately driving food seems to be fast food..but once I am somewhere..I want to eat with the locals and try to avoid chains..Heck I try to avoid chains locally... let's see I am pretty sure I lost weight on The Great Adventure...the Katy...may have lost a little.:dontknow:

Oh yes, "Road Food" enroute to where you are going doesn't count.  Plus I read somewhere that calories have a top speed of 55mph, so as long as you are going faster than that when eating, there are no calories.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Depends.  We don't vacation much, so I tend not to worry about it.  My weight has been very slowly going down this year, so I'm OK with my diet.

In a couple of weeks I'll be doing the Mt Washington century.  It's beautiful, but a tough ride for me.  I'll eat like a pig all weekend, I'll even drink soda, and not feel an ounce of guilt.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

In a couple of weeks I'll be doing the Mt Washington century.  It's beautiful, but a tough ride for me.  I'll eat like a pig all weekend, I'll even drink soda, and not feel an ounce of guilt.

I did my usual ride yesterday and had absolutely no energy.  I have been cutting back on the carbs.  I may have to adjust my diet.  Almost no carbs, even when you only ride 20-25 miles, may not be the best thing for performance.

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I did my usual ride yesterday and had absolutely no energy.  I have been cutting back on the carbs.  I may have to adjust my diet.

For me, a hard ride like that is 99% mental.  I'm doing the prep work now, have been for months.  I'll be physically ready.  I will carb load for a day or three in advance.  Do I need it?  Does it actually work?  Who knows, I'm not going to investigate.  I've done it for all of my hard events and I don't think it's hurt.  If I don't, I will psych myself out and say on the first big hill, I'd be stronger if I had pancakes yesterday...

I'll burn 3,000+ calories on the ride, not a chance I'll be able to replace even half of that during the ride.  I'll likely have dinner with friends that night.  Restaurants almost never have vegan, gluten free treats, so my meals are usually healthful.  If I eat a few cookies and whoopie pies (there's a hippie store near where we stay), I'm OK with that.

• Heart 2

Raclette

Actually, a farmer's staple when snowed in during winter as historically stock up on cheese and the potato harvest. Melt a slab of Raclette (swing out broiler machine melt top of cheese, spread onto potatoes...and of course beer. Ironically, that lunch was in the medieval town of Gruyeres which is known for it's own cheese. My SIL's cousin actually produces both, and the difference is in the processing temp. While it is a daily activity for him, he was giving a demonstration to a German tour group as we arrived. Now I know why they call it cheesecloth.

1015522_350445968416085_1958810936_o.jpg

DSC_9368.jpg

• Heart 1

I guess you would say I indulge...ya think?

A staple - Dinner and desert crepes with traditional cider. Have them all over the place, but favorite in town of Lutry, just outside Laussane.

A coffee shop in Romainmontier (every other year, Tour de France stage passes through but not this year.)  Interesting self service - just serve self and they write the ticket from empty plates

And finally, daughter's wedding in Canary Islands. Tapas, Mojitos from native ingredients...including crushed sugar cane...and fresh cut prosciutto. 

Lubry 1500px-16.jpg

Lubry 1500px-17.jpg

IMG_0820.JPG

DSC00397crop.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

• Heart 2

I've done several blog posts on just the foods we tried in Europe and North America.

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/03/my-european-food-trip-shock-meat-poached-eggs-wine-and-pastries/

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/cycling-for-spargel-kirsch-and-blue-painted-bikes-black-forest-region-germany-june-3-11-2010/

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/tour-de-gateau-torte-and-kugelhopf/

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/15/different-flavours-for-different-farmers-markets-canada-and-abroad/

lst photo was in Seoul at a good tiny restaurant. One of the dishes was leek and octopus Korean pancake. It was good.

Last photo was his birthday dinner another evening in Seoul. 

We did have a variety of meals in wide range of establishments it all happened naturally....  an expensive matcha tea..in historic teahouse in Tokyo, matcha tea dessert several times.  Anyway we didn't cycle on this trip...no time.  But did lots of walking. I haven't weighed myself since returning home yet.... 

leek octopus pancake.JPG

brithday.JPG

• Heart 1

Someone asked me recently for my advice in preparing for trip to Japan:  

*travel to North American big city and use its subway /commuter train at commuter peak periods.  Get used to the crowds and pace of people

*try Japanese and Korean food over time....BEFORE going to those countries.  Develop some good experiences/likes.  Frankly I take for granted of the huge Asian-Canadian populations in Toronto, Vancouver where I've lived where there's lots of choice. (aside from my familial cuisine background).   There are still many North American areas that don't offer this food.  I can see how raw fish is a shock to some people ..

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Someone asked me recently for my advice in preparing for trip to Japan:  

*travel to North American big city and use its subway /commuter train at commuter peak periods.  Get used to the crowds and pace of people

*try Japanese and Korean food over time....BEFORE going to those countries.  Develop some good experiences/likes.  Frankly I take for granted of the huge Asian-Canadian populations in Toronto, Vancouver where I've lived where there's lots of choice. (aside from my familial cuisine background).   There are still many North American areas that don't offer this food.  I can see how raw fish is a shock to some people ..

i think the coast cities are basically international cuisine.  We have great Thai, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese restaurants out here in Seattle and you can bet SF and LA do. I understand from folks in Houston and the outlying areas that they have great Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants though jsharr is most likely a better source.  But yeah, you aren't going to find that in Spokane for example.

So I am staying out in the farmland country until Saturday and the owner of this AirBNB place recommended a steakhouse in timbuktoo.  I am a carnivore but I try to keep my intake to a minimum -- at least at steakhouses.  Well, because I'm on vacation and a small steakhouse out in Mooville was apt to be good -- I elected on a 10 ounce sirloin cut.  It was the smallest, leanest, slab they had and I happily went for it.  But that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I would generally not eat go to a steakhouse at home.  The "I'm-on-vacation-man" thing comes into play.

It's not too difficult to avoid traveling food, there are things you can pack to bring with you to avoid the Roy Rogers at the rest stop.  Admittedly, this is easier when you are towing a refrigerator, but we've done it out of a cooler, too.  And definitely, eat local at your destination!  Don't cheapen the travelling experience by eating what you can eat at home.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Dottles said:

@Square Wheels

I am eating my leftovers this morning. Potatoes and the remaining steak. It's so tender I can use a butter knife.

I try not to be a vegan pest.  My wife eats meat.  Most people do.  I choose not to.  If you enjoy it, and it it healthful for your body, you should have as much as you want.

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I try not to be a vegan pest.  My wife eats meat.  Most people do.  I choose not to.  If you enjoy it, and it it healthful for your body, you should have as much as you want.

swc, you are not giving me any play room, here...  though it pleases me you are not a veggie Nazi.

On 7/5/2018 at 6:24 AM, Wilbur said:

From someone who spends his life on the road, totally fatigued, in nice hotels and restaurants all paid by someone else,  I ask you, what is "normal"?  :) 

I am the standard of normalcy. 

That said, good intentions go by the wayside relatively quickly on a vacation.  New place, new tastes, plus you are fatigued and your willpower goes.  

Yes. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, 12string said:

It's not too difficult to avoid traveling food, there are things you can pack to bring with you to avoid the Roy Rogers at the rest stop.  Admittedly, this is easier when you are towing a refrigerator, but we've done it out of a cooler, too.  And definitely, eat local at your destination!  Don't cheapen the travelling experience by eating what you can eat at home.

I had my first McDonald's fish burger, fries, and apple pie,....plus spicy McNuggets  in 10 yrs ..(they call them Ebi as the brand in Japan), at the Tokyo airport when my flight was delayed by 5 hrs. We were given food vouchers as compensation.  So I couldn't find the Asian listed restaurants (by their names) until AFTER I consumed my McDonald's dinner. ?  Talk about feeling junked out..