What Am I Looking At?????

Razors Edge

Apparently, it is the "Hover" bar.  Or, as Canyon labels it: Canyon CP01 Cockpit CF.

Seems like a lot of "cons" to this design:

Do I have to use this handlebar on the Grail?

Canyon’s official line is that although it would be possible to swap out the Hover bar for something else, it strongly cautions against doing so.

The primary issue is the incredible stack/rise of the Hover bar (81mm to the centre of the tops!). The Grail is designed around the upright riding position afforded by the shape of the bars, which means that using anything but the highest rise stem on the Grail would result in an insanely aggressive position.

Aero gravel might be a thing now, but I think taking track bike geometry to the world of gravé might be a step too far. The non-standard 1 ¼ steerer also massively reduces the number of stems available.

canyon-grail-13-1521022122724-1ttlp0dj1xdoh-630-354.jpg.ff6dbf8212b9585f896407bdd7f43ff6.jpg

Tom

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Compliance/flex.

Are you going to get the women's version for yourself?

Sometimes the women get the better color options, sometimes not. 

But the handlebars risk making the Canyon a nightmare to maintain in a decade or so, and forget re-selling it later to someone who prefers wider/narrower bars :(

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Sometimes the women get the better color options, sometimes not. 

But the handlebars risk making the Canyon a nightmare to maintain in a decade or so, and forget re-selling it later to someone who prefers wider/narrower bars :(

Tom

Yeah, it's a one shot deal.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:15 AM, donkpow said:

Compliance/flex.

Are you going to get the women's version for yourself?

I like some flex in my gravel bars. The Salsa Woodchipper and cowchipper are great handlebars.

The first time I saw that hoverbar I gave it a serious doubletake though.  

I love what Otso is doing with their bikes. If I had the money, I'd buy the Voytek. Narrow q-factor, switch between 26x4.6 and 27.5x3 wheels and squishy fork or carbon fork. 

Warakin-label-600px_large.jpg?13232658941041293813

Voytek-label-600px_large.jpg?12707779146899700802

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing this additional flexibility doing any good for a rider except give some relief for wrists, elbows, and shoulders. If I was riding pro, I wouldn't want extra flexibility here. I'd be carrying the bulk of the shock in my legs just like road riders on pavers. I wouldn't want flex in the bars. It seems to me you are giving away power and control in this application.

I don't hammer gravel so I wouldn't really know anything.

What about a suspension fork? Or Trek's Domane?

Salsa's Warbird:

2nd Generation Class 5 Vibration Reduction System – the same incredible rear end compliance tuned per size

All of these bikes are designed to increase compliance in different areas. Salsa does make carbon bars which I'm sure are light and stiff. I like the flex myself. On long rides, my shoulders can get tight. 

I think a stiff bottom bracket translates to efficient power transfer. 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, bicycle and outdoor

DomaneSL5Disc_17496_A_Alt1?wid=1360&hei=1020&fmt=pjpeg&qlt=40,1&iccEmbed=0&cache=on,on

On 7/14/2018 at 11:09 AM, donkpow said:

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing this additional flexibility doing any good for a rider except give some relief for wrists, elbows, and shoulders. If I was riding pro, I wouldn't want extra flexibility here. I'd be carrying the bulk of the shock in my legs just like road riders on pavers. I wouldn't want flex in the bars. It seems to me you are giving away power and control in this application.

I don't hammer gravel so I wouldn't really know anything.

Why wouldn't a pro rider want relief for wrists, elbows, and shoulders???? Especially if riding multiple events in a short time period.

For yesterday's cobble stage, folks were all sorts of interested in taking the edge off, and I am sure the ones who were most effective are quite happy today :)  From suspension stems, to wider tires (even 30mm), wrapped wrists, double-wrapped bars, rear suspensions, etc..

dsc_0425_670.jpg.d131f77cfca1edea85ec023fdde2c9c7.jpg

dsc_0362_670.jpg.0cd68d541ae912afe5dbbb245cb3b156.jpg

dsc_0414_670.jpg.b5499794ac5512122cc46b5ea3553aaa.jpg

dsc_0365_670.jpg.2d324b9fcb9b3c3082d2405013e50dd8.jpg

dsc_0440_670.jpg.487db705f98678615ab80d5de00a94cf.jpg

Tom

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

It does for me. I like wider tires. I double wrap my bars. My bikes are not aerodynamic at all. I'd rather do a long slow ride rather than a short fast one. 

But for racing, you would obviously balance all the different options to maximize your performance.  And for casual rides , you would go the setup that works best for you.  I know when I ride with my wife, I choose a different bike, or a different set-up, or a whatever.  If I'm toodling along at 12mph chatting with my wife, I won't be down in the drops. I won't be paying attention to cadence or HR.  If I am going for a solo or group ride over paved and smooth roads, I have no problem with a relatively stiff Tarmac with 25mm tires at 90psi. If I choose to ride short sections of gravel and some dirt paths, my Roubaix is better and I might even use 28mm tires at lower pressures.  

Horses for courses.

Tom

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

But for racing, you would obviously balance all the different options to maximize your performance.  And for casual rides , you would go the setup that works best for you.  I know when I ride with my wife, I choose a different bike, or a different set-up, or a whatever.  If I'm toodling along at 12mph chatting with my wife, I won't be down in the drops. I won't be paying attention to cadence or HR.  If I am going for a solo or group ride over paved and smooth roads, I have no problem with a relatively stiff Tarmac with 25mm tires at 90psi. If I choose to ride short sections of gravel and some dirt paths, my Roubaix is better and I might even use 28mm tires at lower pressures.  

Horses for courses.

Tom

I race my bikes as they are set up. But the racing I do is typically endurance events. 100 miles on gravel or snow or single track. I'm not as concerned with speed or winning as much as finishing. I figure I trade speed for comfort which in the long run allows me to finish. 

I do participate in a road group ride once a week. I am always on the heaviest, least race worthy bike. Most riders are on something like a Tarmac or Roubaix. I ride a steel frame Salsa Casseroll. It probably weighs 24-25 lbs with 28c tires. One of friends asked if I felt like I was at a disadvantage? I replied, yes, financially and otherwise. 

• 1 month later...

I caught up to some guy and was about to pass him when I noticed his handlebars!!! A Canyon Grail in the wild :D  I pulled up next to him and chatted him up a bit. An older guy with a foreign accent who said he really liked the Grail and the handlebars. He gave his old cross bike to his son and upgraded to the Grail. Said he liked commuting on it instead of his roadie these days.  Neat bike.

Tom

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I caught up to some guy and was about to pass him when I noticed his handlebars!!! A Canyon Grail in the wild :D  I pulled up next to him and chatted him up a bit. An older guy with a foreign accent who said he really liked the Grail and the handlebars. He gave his old cross bike to his son and upgraded to the Grail. Said he liked commuting on it instead of his roadie these days.  Neat bike.

Tom

Was it very nice?

• Haha 1