Swimming pool question

Indy

So I was thinking last night (I know, dangerous) about converting my pool over to saltwater.

Now while I'm not really a fan of saltwater pools for swimming, I do like saltwater fish and was thinking maybe I could put fish in there during the summer too.  Think of awesome that would be.  Something nice and simple like sharks.

Will figure out the freaking laser beams later, one step at a time.

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Swimming is fish poop and pee in addition to human poop and pee really can't be much different, can it?  But you can chlorinate the HECK out of freshwater pools.

Tom

I swim and boat in lakes all the time, that adds wild animal shit to the mix.  But you don't get sharks in freshwater lakes.

The real problem is the chlorine would most likely kill the fish. The reason people like the salt water pools is they don’t have to buy chlorine. The pool gets its chlorine from the chlorine generator that breaks down the salt  ( sodium chloride) to make chlorine. Some pool surfaces don’t hold up well when converted to salt water.

I know that saltwater can disolve some types of rock, coping, decking around pools, so I would definitely consult with someone or learn how to test to see if it woud affect your pool surround.  

I love saltwater pools.  So much nicer than the ones full of urine and chlorine.  

...they swapped out the pool I use to swim laps at the gym to salt water.  It's not really ocean type salt water, but the chlorine levels seem to be much lower now, and the effects of swimming in there on hair and eyes are much less unpleasant.  I guess that the bacteria levels are considered safe, but I'm not the one who maintains it.  I like it a lot more than the old indoor chlorinated version, though.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...they swapped out the pool I use to swim laps at the gym to salt water.  It's not really ocean type salt water, but the chlorine levels seem to be much lower now, and the effects of swimming in there on hair and eyes are much less unpleasant.  I guess that the bacteria levels are considered safe, but I'm not the one who maintains it.  I like it a lot more than the old indoor chlorinated version, though.

Last time I was in a saltwater pool, got some in my eyes.  I couldn't see the rest of the day, never been in so much pain in my life.  Never had a problem with all the time I've spent in chlorinated pools.

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

Last time I was in a saltwater pool, got some in my eyes.  I couldn't see the rest of the day, never been in so much pain in my life.  Never had a problem with all the time I've spent in chlorinated pools.

...exactly the opposite experience here.  Might have something to do with the operator and the levels.

I can actually swim laps without goggles here, if I so choose (but I still can't see much without them..)

4 hours ago, Indy said:

I swim and boat in lakes all the time, that adds wild animal shit to the mix.  But you don't get sharks in freshwater lakes.

Bull sharks can live in freshwater just fine, and have been found 1000 miles up the Amazon.   Get a bull shark, and no one will poach your pool at night. 

• Heart 1

Maybe I'm just more used to the feeling, but I grew up swimming in chlorinated pools (including ours at home) and I have never really felt compelled to rinse off afterward.  After swimming in salt water I find a shower.

At my parents' place in PA they used some other chemical to keep the pool clean - "Baquacil", it was called.  It left an unpleasant bitter taste in your mouth that would still be there after an evening meal of pizza.  Horrible stuff.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Maybe I'm just more used to the feeling, but I grew up swimming in chlorinated pools (including ours at home) and I have never really felt compelled to rinse off afterward.  After swimming in salt water I find a shower.

At my parents' place in PA they used some other chemical to keep the pool clean - "Baquacil", it was called.  It left an unpleasant bitter taste in your mouth that would still be there after an evening meal of pizza.  Horrible stuff.

Opposite for me, salt water pools are great, you don’t really feel the need to bathe immediately. After the ocean I do, though.  Regular pools I do, too. 

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Hydrogen peroxide

Hm.  Never knew that.  Sounds like the stuff is widely considered a ripoff. 

Maybe for my dad's sake I won't tell him.... he doesn't need something else to get him all agitated.

• Awesome 1