Tim Hortons

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, az_cyclist said:

I was in Calgary last week, but didnt stop at Tim's. 

I go past one every day.  Should I stop.  If so, why?

The one time I did stop may years ago I was not impressed.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Just now, Kzoo said:

I go past one every day.  Should I stop.  If so, why?

The one time I did stop may years ago I was not impressed.  Maybe I'm missing something.

It's OK.  A lot better than Dunkin Donuts, but not as good as some of the local bakeries. Most of the Dunkin Donuts around here have closed.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

I hear it's so good that the one in Indianapolis closed six months after opening.

A bunch of them closed in the St. Louis area shortly after opening. However they were doing a very good business. What happened was a new company bought Tim Hortons and added a lot of requirements to the franchisees. This made the new St. Louis area stores (and maybe those in Indy) unprofitable. Evidently the new owners wouldn't budge and the local company just shut them down. Just a couple of weeks ago a former Tim Hortons became a Lions Choice. Here's a little about the issue:

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article191482364.html

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

A bunch of them closed in the St. Louis area shortly after opening. However they were doing a very good business. What happened was a new company bought Tim Hortons and added a lot of requirements to the franchisees. This made the new St. Louis area stores (and maybe those in Indy) unprofitable. Evidently the new owners wouldn't budge and the local company just shut them down. Just a couple of weeks ago a former Tim Hortons became a Lions Choice. Here's a little about the issue:

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article191482364.html

The one in Indy didn't do well, of course the fact that they put in the hood next to a big factory that closed down a couple months after Horton's opened probably didn't help matters.  Though most people I know that tried it, told me just stick with Dunkin if you want a chain as they are about the same and Dunkin is everywhere around here.  For good donuts though, Rise N' Roll is where it's at, OH MY GOD!!!  ONE POUND DONUTS!!!

https://risenroll.com/

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Oregon has Voodoo. Its pretty fun to go in and buy one. The lines are stupid though.

We stopped at Voodoo when I was there a couple of months ago.  My sisters waited in line, I didn't bother.  Some of the locals recommended a different donught place who's name escapes me. 

Of course my sisters bought anatomically correct donught men.  

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We stopped at Voodoo when I was there a couple of months ago.  My sisters waited in line, I didn't bother.  Some of the locals recommended a different donught place who's name escapes me. 

Of course my sisters bought anatomically correct donught men.  

Not the best donut. It's more of a novelty. We have a place called Terri's that has really good stuff. 

16 hours ago, Indy said:

The one in Indy didn't do well, of course the fact that they put in the hood next to a big factory that closed down a couple months after Horton's opened probably didn't help matters.  Though most people I know that tried it, told me just stick with Dunkin if you want a chain as they are about the same and Dunkin is everywhere around here.  For good donuts though, Rise N' Roll is where it's at, OH MY GOD!!!  ONE POUND DONUTS!!! 

https://risenroll.com/

Rise and Roll = Amish crack. Never been to any other than the original one. 15 miles from our home.

• Heart 1

Rise and Roll is similar to at least one other small local franchise chain, Ben's Pretzels.  Both were Amish business that had great recipes and became popular locally.  As they grew they both took English partners since they couldn't grow the way they wanted and meet the church rules.  Many local Amish businesses are located in English owned buildings so they can have electric power connected to the commercial grid. If the building is Amish owned it must be off grid and run with solar or generators.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Rise and Roll is similar to at least one other small local franchise chain, Ben's Pretzels.  Both were Amish business that had great recipes and became popular locally.  As they grew they both took English partners since they couldn't grow the way they wanted and meet the church rules.  Many local Amish businesses are located in English owned buildings so they can have electric power connected to the commercial grid. If the building is Amish owned it must be off grid and run with solar or generators.

Makes perfect sense to me. My English neighbor owns an $80,000 log skidder. I don’t think he has seen it since he bought it. The Amish pay him to use it and they pay to have it moved from job site to job site.  The same neighbor owns cell phones that are on permenant loan to the Amish logging crew.

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Makes perfect sense to me. My English neighbor owns an $80,000 log skidder. I don’t think he has seen it since he bought it. The Amish pay him to use it and they pay to have it moved from job site to job site.  The same neighbor owns cell phones that are on permenant loan to the Amish logging crew.

Yeah, I've never gotten all the amish rules, also not going to start trying.  But have to give them credit, they are very creative about getting around them.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yeah, I've never gotten all the amish rules, also not going to start trying.  But have to give them credit, they are very creative about getting around them.

I had a two man crew put a metal roof on my house and garage as well as new doors front and back. The guys were Jonathon and David. Jonathon was Amish and David was English. David owned the truck and the power tools Jonathon really liked the power tools. 

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I had a two man crew put a metal roof on my house and garage as well as new doors front and back. The guys were Jonathon and David. Jonathon was Amish and David was English. David owned the truck and the power tools Jonathon really liked the power tools. 

In some cases the person who owns the tools, bought them with a loan from the Amish, it gets really confusing.  My brother-in-law does business with them all the time.  For some reason they are really good at shoeing horses and rebuilding old beam wood barns.  Being into horses and going to auctions all the time, he knows a lot of them.  Some of the amish have money, he made the mistake of getting into a bidding war over a hay field with one once, more often than not, you are not going to win and they are paying in cash.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

For some reason they are really good at shoeing horses and rebuilding old beam wood barns

They are good at showing horses but not opposed to paying an Englishman to do it. My cousin owned a Chevy dealership but had a lot of other interests too. One of them was shoeing horses. He said almost all his customers were Amish. This cousin also was a licensed pyrotechnition and set off fireworks displays for Zambelly.

• Heart 1

We don't have any Tim Hortons in Florida, primarily Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme.  While Krispy Kreme had downsized, there are only 2 left. Dunkin Donuts is everywhere but I usually go elsewhere  - bagels, bakery, and even Starbucks. Hate Dunkin Donuts coffee as they think everyone is handicapped and put cream and sugar in it for them. When I order coffee, I don't want milk syrup with coffee flavoring.