Fireworks Close Call Last Night

ChrisL

My city allows "Safe & Sane" fireworks and I've worked one of many fireworks booths for years as a baseball booster fundraiser.  However with all of the legal fireworks people use it as a cover to set off illegal fireworks.  Mortars were launching the big stuff all around us.

So at our BBQ and legal fireworks gathering, I'm sitting on the driveway next to my sons GF and we hear this loud bang like something hitting the garage door.  I look at GF and say did you kick the garage or something??? She says no but something hit me in the neck.  So I get up and inspect the garage door and a big chunk of a firework hit the door just above our heads and broke into numerous smaller pieces which is what hit her.  It left a nice dent in the door which could easily have been our heads!?!?

It wouldn't have been lethal but damn that would have left a mark if it had hit one of us...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

...yeah. It was nuts here, too.  The loud explosions I heard are not coming from "safe and sane" anything.

That's the problem with allowing any kind of explosive and incendiary devices to be sold. and used by everyone.

I wandered over to the down the block neighbor's, where they had a bunch of families assembled setting off their safe and sane packages for the kids.

She offered me a chair, but I declined, telling her the whole fireworks thing just makes me too anxious.  She pointed out their buckets of water, etc.  I hope I did not sound like a Debbie Downer when I said, "Yes, I think youi have all the advisory safety precautions in place.  I'm glad you're doing this for all these kids.  But it's still explosive devices made and sold under Chinese safety standards. But thanks for the offer.":(

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...yeah. It was nuts here, too.  The loud explosions I heard are not coming from "safe and sane" anything.

That's the problem with allowing any kind of explosive and incendiary devices to be sold. and used by everyone.

I wandered over to the down the block neighbor's, where they had a bunch of families assembled setting off their safe and sane packages for the kids.

She offered me a chair, but I declined, telling her the whole fireworks thing just makes me too anxious.  She pointed out their buckets of water, etc.  I hope I did not sound like a Debbie Downer when I said, "Yes, I think youi have all the advisory safety precautions in place.  I'm glad you're doing this for all these kids.  But it's still explosive devices made and sold under Chinese safety standards. But thanks for the offer.":(

Yeah I'm really conflicted on the whole fireworks thing in my city.  They are a great fundraiser but at a high cost for emergency services that are on the go constantly.  Mixed in with all of the boom were sirens.

Im not aware of any of the safe & sane fireworks malfunctioning but I suppose it could happen. Most injuries I've seen are due to careless operation.  Speaking of which...

A friends teenage son had two ground bloom flowers.  He lit them both and tossed them into the street. One ignited a split second before the other and launched the second into the air as it ignited and it went straight up in the air 20' or so.   That was really cool but could have dangerous had it gone a different direction.

I don't understand how in this age of realizing how easy it is to not do stupid things, more states are allowing fireworks sales.  It's just too easy to DO something stupid with those, and there's zero benefit to allowing the sales.  

Even if the emergency squads aren't answering tons of calls, the extra personnel they have to schedule on the 4th more than offsets the tax revenue.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Zambelly is local in my area. They always put in a great show if you are into that. I think they are the largest manufacturer of fireworks in the USA at least they were.

I remember them from when I lived back there.  We used to go to Eriez Speedway several times a year (mid to late 60's)and always when they had fireworks night.  Zambelly always put on a great show there.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Yes.........they could just be hooting and hollering and firing guns into the air.

• Haha 1

The guy across the street was shooting stuff off, as he always does.  Aerial stuff is all against the law here.  We saw a police car with no lights on pull up and stop in front of his house - somehow the guy had disappeared.  The police car sat there for a few minutes then took off like a shot - still with no lights on; this was around 9:15 so pretty dark.  Our neighbor quckly resumed, but from the back yard.

Within 15 minutes four different houses within a quarter mile were shooting off professional-grade fireworks.

Every year we get a message on the answering machine from the Mayor reminding everyone that fireworks are dangerous and illegal.  Every year multiple houses near us are sending giant explosions into the sky as if they're advertising to the police.  Every year nothing happens.

I don't mind the noise so much, now that we don't have little kids trying to get to sleep.  But by July 4 we've usually had a spell of really hot/dry weather and I can't imagine it would be too hard to get something to ignite.

33 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

The guy across the street was shooting stuff off, as he always does.  Aerial stuff is all against the law here.  We saw a police car with no lights on pull up and stop in front of his house - somehow the guy had disappeared.  The police car sat there for a few minutes then took off like a shot - still with no lights on; this was around 9:15 so pretty dark.  Our neighbor quckly resumed, but from the back yard.

Within 15 minutes four different houses within a quarter mile were shooting off professional-grade fireworks.

Every year we get a message on the answering machine from the Mayor reminding everyone that fireworks are dangerous and illegal.  Every year multiple houses near us are sending giant explosions into the sky as if they're advertising to the police.  Every year nothing happens.

I don't mind the noise so much, now that we don't have little kids trying to get to sleep.  But by July 4 we've usually had a spell of really hot/dry weather and I can't imagine it would be too hard to get something to ignite.

sounds like tailor made for cops on bikes

Every year the official show in Bend is off of Pilot Butte. It scrub & small trees. Many years the official guys set the Butte on fire. This year the knuckleheads beat them to it. News now saying the police rounded up the usual suspects knuckleknobs

I can't see spending money on something that you are just going to blow up. 

I'll spend the cash on other things that will give me a longer thrill than 2 1/2 seconds of a bang followed by some sparkles 

• Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I can't see spending money on something that you are just going to blow up. 

I'll spend the cash on other things that will give me a longer thrill than 2 1/2 seconds of a bang followed by some sparkles 

When you boil it down we are literally burning our money.  We'll spend about $100 on fireworks each year, $100 up in smoke!

55 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

When you boil it down we are literally burning our money.  We'll spend about $100 on fireworks each year, $100 up in smoke!

Things I can do with a 100 bucks 

10 gallons of racing fuel 

1 entry for a motorcycle race 

2 days on the Road America Motorplex 

About 10 years gas for Wo46 lawnmower