Where do you buy your bike parts?

Road Runner

When I'm down a hill at 40mph, or climbing a hill with more watts than I thought a chain should be able to handle, I like to make sure everything is in working order.  Aside from changing a tire, greasing a chain, I decided to stop doing my own work.  I own one bike, I'm not a pro.  So maybe it costs me a few extra dollars to have it worked on, but I like the added confidence.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

When I'm down a hill at 40mph, or climbing a hill with more watts than I thought a chain should be able to handle, I like to make sure everything is in working order.  Aside from changing a tire, greasing a chain, I decided to stop doing my own work.  I own one bike, I'm not a pro.  So maybe it costs me a few extra dollars to have it worked on, but I like the added confidence.

Even for simple stuff like tires and saddles, etc?  You buy that stuff where?

Depends for me... I've purchased a couple of items through Colorado Cyclist and had a set of custom wheels built through them as well.  But most wear & tear replacement items like tires, tubes, chains bar tape & such i buy through one of 3 LBS.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Even for simple stuff like tires and saddles, etc?  You buy that stuff where?

I buy the tires online.  Western Bike Works usually has the best deals on Conti's.  My current saddle I got at a bike shop because they were trying to help with my pain while riding,  Didn't seem to help much, but they tried.

• Heart 1

I use to buy many parts from Performance.com and even was a Team Member. However I now usually go to Amazon.com as Performance is there and I have Amazon Prime.

I will search for some things on Ebay.com to see if I can find a deal especially for used parts.

Last Fall I rebuilt my road bike and upgraded it from worn-out 105 to Ultegra. I got a group kit from Chain Reaction Cycles over in England. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com I'd recommend them.

Lastly I still do go to a couple of LBS's. One enough that an employee knows me by name.

• Heart 1

Almost all my bike parts came on my bike. I did buy a new cassette and long cage derailleur online and Velobro confirmed that it would work before clicked submit. My bike shop doesn’t sell clothing and touring stuff so I buy that online, either Nashbar or Amazon.  When I was looking for a bike in my size for touring I found a great price on a bike on eBay. Velobro stepped in again and talked me out of it. He said it was a great price on a great bike but not for what I wanted it for. I’m glad I listened to him. I love my 520.

• Heart 1

All over the place.  A good part of the current bike came from Chain Reaction Cycles in Ireland.  Some came from Nashbar (the frame from a donor bike).

Along the years I've purchased from Supergo (gone) and Pricepoint (gone).  Cambridge cycles near Boston is always a good place for specialty stuff and it was also the home of Sheldon Brown.

My local LBS gets my business for gloves, tubes, lube and labor on rare occasions when I don't have the right tools (like facing a bottom bracket)

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I use to buy many parts from Performance.com and even was a Team Member. However I now usually go to Amazon.com as Performance is there and I have Amazon Prime.

I will search for some things on Ebay.com to see if I can find a deal especially for used parts.

Last Fall I rebuilt my road bike and upgraded it from worn-out 105 to Ultegra. I got a group kit from Chain Reaction Cycles over in England. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com I'd recommend them.

Lastly I still do go to a couple of LBS's. One enough that an employee knows me by name.

Chain Reaction is actually in Belfast Ireland but they have merged with Wiggle out of Portsmouth England.

• Awesome 1

When I was in the purchasing mode, I bought stuff from ExcelSport, Colorado Cyclists, Rivendell bicycle works, White Industries, and maybe some from Peter White Cycles.  When buying Campy parts, I searched for older parts and bought from several different sources, with some currently out of business.  I was happy with services and purchases from all named.  I've not had to buy parts in a long while.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

...if you knew how stoned the guy was who really did the hands on work on your bike, you wouldn't be going downhill at 40 mph.

In answer to the OP, I have long bought almost everything online.  Mu local guys are not interested in carrying the stuff I need, because nobody else buys enough of it.

Performance, Wiggle, Ribble, Bike Tires Direct, some of the Amazon dealers for chains and spokes, one E-bay guy for rims.  Stuff like that.

• Heart 1

I don't think my LBS knows how to spell Campagnolo as they certainly don't stock parts and tools while leaves me no other choice than online. If they have to order it, I may as well, and will probably arrive at my house sooner. While I am at it, may also order other parts such as tubes or tires. Clothing I typically get at the LBS.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

LBS, online?  What online sites do you use?  Any really good or really bad experiences?

I've got three primary LBS (including one Performance), and a few other back-up LBS.  All wrenching not done b me is done by the two that aren't Performance :)  I buy primarily from PBK for more expensive stuff, and then Performance for the cheaper stuff. Throw REI into the mix too.  Then, it is a crap ton of other online stores - Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist, Wiggle, Ribble, Nashbar, Amazon, eBay, Art's Cyclery, even Steep & Cheap.

Only Amazon or eBay is ever really a curve ball with some independent folks selling stuff incorrectly.

Tom

• Heart 1

I have bought online from Performance, Nashbar, Niagra, BikeParts, BikepartsUSA, Art's Cyclery, and ProBikeKit.

I just ordered a new tire and tube from ProBikeKit.  They are the cheapest I have found.  Their price on a Continental Grand Prix 4000s II is half of what my LBS sells therm for and about 40% less than Performance ($35 versus $60).  ProBikeKit was recommended to me a few years ago by @madcity,  Their prices are sometimes unbelievable, but so far, I have had no issues.  If you would like to save a few bucks and it is something that they carry, I highly recommend you give them a shot.  

https://www.probikekit.com/

Well, I've done some mods/upgrades/replacements to the current steed

• Saddle: LBS
  • Handlebars: Performance
  • Compact Crank: Performance
  • Cassette: Performance
  • Chain: LBS
  • Cables: LBS
  • Tires: LBS/Performance
  • Rear wheel: LBS
  • Misc. bar tape, bottles, bottle holders, CO2, etc.: LBS/Performance

Former & Current LBSs include: Roswell Cycle, Orange Cycle, Plano Cycling, Alpha Cycle, Atlanta Cycling (nee Cycleworks), and Performance

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Well, I've done some mods/upgrades/replacements to the current steed

Frame: LBS #1

Build: LBS #1

Build finish kit (bars, stem, pedals, saddle, bottle cages, bar wrap, etc): LBS #1

Gruppo: PBK online

Wheels: Competitive Cyclist online

Powertap hub & wheel build: LBS #1

Tires: PBK online

Tubes: Performance LBS and/or online

Helmet: REI online

Gloves: Performance LBS

Shorts: Performance online

Jersey: Twinsix online

Bottles: Specialized online

Shoes: LBS (now closed permanently :( )

Socks: all over

Eventual replacement parts like cassettes, chains, battery, bar tape, cleats, etc will be most likely PBK or wherever I find an online sale.

Tom

• Heart 2

It depends on the type of part I need. If it's a run of the mill part, I'll get it at a community event or down at the baseball stadium. If I am looking for a more high end part, I have to wait for one of the race events in the area. Since I ride road bikes, criteriums offer the best selection.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

Right after I bought a jersey online from Performance my account had someone charge $250. to Performance Auto Parts in Texas. I notified the bank and they issued me a new card and removed the charge. I'm not sure what the connections was but a lot of people buying from Performance at that time got hit. That was back in the LF days.

40 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Oh, yeah, I bought a coupla jerseys from Primal, a coupla sets of bibs from PB, etc.

I've bought bibs and jerseys at several places, but finally settled on Boure bike (bibs) and www.velo.com (jerseys). Our LBS carries few items I need, and he prefers that I order online.  Bought some over the years in Billings, but that is 150 mile drive to the LBS.

It seems the lines are blurring between "LBS" and "online" as many noted Performance on line but I usually go to one of 3 PB by my house.  Jensons is online for you but an LBS for me.  My favorite shop does most of their sales on line but their shop is near me so I walk in.

I think the shops that survive will either need to find a nitch like service or location or adapt to online sales like Jensons and my shop.

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think the shops that survive will either need to find a nitch like service or location or adapt to online sales like Jensons and my shop.

The brick and mortar shops are finding their way to profitability. You can find merchandise that is competitively priced at those savvy shops. There are some things they are locked out of, pricing wise. You will have to look for a discount seller on the internet for those things. Of course, you can get a break from a shop if they do the labor for you.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Frame: LBS #1

Build: LBS #1

Build finish kit (bars, stem, pedals, saddle, bottle cages, bar wrap, etc): LBS #1

Gruppo: PBK online

Wheels: Competitive Cyclist online

Powertap hub & wheel build: LBS #1

Tires: PBK online

Tubes: Performance LBS and/or online

Helmet: REI online

Gloves: Performance LBS

Shorts: Performance online

Jersey: Twinsix online

Bottles: Specialized online

Shoes: LBS (now closed permanently :( )

Socks: all over

Eventual replacement parts like cassettes, chains, battery, bar tape, cleats, etc will be most likely PBK or wherever I find an online sale.

Tom

You know way more than me.  If I tried to order bike bits online to build at home, There would be things I do not even know are on my bike that I would forget to order

Performance for most of my online stuff.  The LBS that I bought my bike from at the end of 2011 closed a couple years ago.  Our club rode out of his shop and it was only 3 miles down the road from my house.  I haven't really formed a relationship with another LBS in the area so I might shop at anyone of them.

For tires I usually price search online and will get the cheapest - Conti 4 Seasons.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It seems the lines are blurring between "LBS" and "online" as many noted Performance on line but I usually go to one of 3 PB by my house.  Jensons is online for you but an LBS for me.  My favorite shop does most of their sales on line but their shop is near me so I walk in.

I have bought a few things from PB-online, but most of my PB buying has been in-store. FWIW, I prolly have bought stuff in about 4-5 different PB stores

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

I have bought a few things from PB-online, but most of my PB buying has been in-store. FWIW, I prolly have bought stuff in about 4-5 different PB stores

Yeah me too.  Some carry different items than others.  I buy most of my clothing from them.